Hey, looking for some assistance (gaming laptop).

praise

Looking to buy a gaming laptop.

I want to be able to play vidya games (like halo, skyrim, fallout etc) on the highest settings possible without any lag and good FPS. I was looking into iBuyPower PC's but I'm not sure how good they are.

Basically looking for a badass gaming laptop. (I don't want to build one atm).

Any recommendations? Budget is around $3,000.

Check out Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, and Digital Storm. I don't really know much about the laptop market since all the main sellers actually suck (seriously, those fuckers need to learn how to streamline shit). 

But with that said, you'll want to aim for a 970m or a 980m (or go full balls to the wall and pick up whichever laptop was recently released with a full desktop GTX980) and a quad core i5/i7 (note, only two i5's -- the 6200m and one other -- are quad cores, and only x7xx series i7's are quad cores -- you can go to the Intel ARK to verify if the CPU you're looking at is a quad core or not). 

One final note, Skylake (6xxx series), Broadwell (5xxx series), and Haswell (4xxx) series are all more or less equally good, so if you find an amazing deal on a Haswell based system don't be turned off. (Skylake is only marginally faster AT THE SAME CLOCK SPEEDS, but it is more efficient, and has better integrated graphics. Broadwell is somewhere in between Haswell and Skylake).

Check out Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, and Digital Storm. I don't really know much about the laptop market since all the main sellers actually suck (seriously, those fuckers need to learn how to streamline shit).

But with that said, you'll want to aim for a 970m or a 980m (or go full balls to the wall and pick up whichever laptop was recently released with a full desktop GTX980) and a quad core i5/i7 (note, only two i5's -- the 6200m and one other -- are quad cores, and only x7xx series i7's are quad cores -- you can go to the Intel ARK to verify if the CPU you're looking at is a quad core or not).

One final note, Skylake (6xxx series), Broadwell (5xxx series), and Haswell (4xxx) series are all more or less equally good, so if you find an amazing deal on a Haswell based system don't be turned off. (Skylake is only marginally faster AT THE SAME CLOCK SPEEDS, but it is more efficient, and has better integrated graphics. Broadwell is somewhere in between Haswell and Skylake).

Thank you so much, I will look into these options. :)

you don't need anything super crazy/dedicated for gaming, I have a dell inspiron I got a couple years ago for 800 USD that runs stuff fine, has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.  my hard drive did die last month 'cause of physical damage, but I'm running  a 250GB SSD alongside a 500 GB mechanical hard drive now.  It ran skyrim on the highest built-in settings fine before the hard drive replacement, now it loads stuff faster :P  also ran Skyrim with a couple dozen mods (no ENB though, just retextures, some bug fixes, lighting/weather stuff, etc.)

you don't need anything super crazy/dedicated for gaming, I have a dell inspiron I got a couple years ago for 800 USD that runs stuff fine, has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.  my hard drive did die last month 'cause of physical damage, but I'm running  a 250GB SSD alongside a 500 GB mechanical hard drive now.  It ran skyrim on the highest built-in settings fine before the hard drive replacement, now it loads stuff faster :P  also ran Skyrim with a couple dozen mods (no ENB though, just retextures, some bug fixes, lighting/weather stuff, etc.)

That inspiron probably wasn't at 1080p, also skyrim is pretty easy to run (with modded skyrim hitting a CPU far harder than a GPU) -- plus without any mods (or irrelevantly non intensive mods), even at at 1280x1024 you won't get 60fps on high; at 1080p, you'd get more like 30-40~ fps at 1080p (again, without any mods/with non-intensive mods).

So, no, a 970m will be required to play newer games at high settings and playable frame rates (and in some cases even a 970m won't be enough) -- as it stands, right now a 970m will be just on the edge of 1080p 60fps ultra settings in fallout 4 (do keep in mind, that will get better as newer drivers come out, and there are settings you can tweak to gain better performance without too much of a loss). 

Archived