Best build for streaming from my main PC

Explosion-chan

My main PC is in a room that used to be a dining room, directly above a room that I spend most of my waking hours in (and a lot asleep if I'm not careful). I want to be able to stream games from my main PC to play them in another room. What do I need to do this in steam and what would be a good cheap build? It can be pre-built or something I build myself. Requirements are two video outputs, one being an hdmi. A small size would be nice as well but not required. Also, how hard would it be to install Windows 10 and wipe everything on my main desktop? Can you do it at the same time?

Edit: It can be a laptop if that's a cheaper idea, and if it's a laptop, it only needs an HDMI output

You really don't need a whole lot of power to stream, and you could easily go with less, but an i3 gives you room to do something more demanding (plus has quick sync), and the 500w psu because it's not that much more expensive than other decent alternatives ($5-10 more), but gives you plenty of room if you decide you want to throw in something more powerful in the future. And of course, you don't need an SSD -- but it's always nice to have. 

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.89 @ OutletPC) 

Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($33.99 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $307.84

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-10 09:23 EST-0500

You really don't need a whole lot of power to stream, and you could easily go with less, but an i3 gives you room to do something more demanding (plus has quick sync), and the 500w psu because it's not that much more expensive than other decent alternatives ($5-10 more), but gives you plenty of room if you decide you want to throw in something more powerful in the future.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($33.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $307.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-10 09:23 EST-0500

Do you happen to know if I can stream from Windows 10 to SteamOS? I was considering putting steam OS on the streaming PC

Do you happen to know if I can stream from Windows 10 to SteamOS? I was considering putting steam OS on the streaming PC

I'd assume so -- all you should need for in-home streaming is steam, I know that you can stream from Windows 7 to OSX though. So I'd find it hard to believe that they wouldn't allow it.

What you'll really need is a good internet connection. Try having ethernet on both computers if possible or you'll be more prone to the lags here and there.

What you'll really need is a good internet connection. Try having ethernet on both computers if possible or you'll be more prone to the lags here and there.

Ethernet isn't really an option for the streaming PC, but I keep it on my main. Bad internet is just a thing at my house, I'll probably need to upgrade my internet soon.

Ethernet isn't really an option for the streaming PC, but I keep it on my main. Bad internet is just a thing at my house, I'll probably need to upgrade my internet soon.

Well, for streaming you don't need good outgoing internet, you just need a good internal connection (i.e. ethernet or a strong wifi signal on a modern router).

Archived