How would a exchange service affect the economy, and how likely is it to gain some ground?

Studious Damon

I'm making a exchange service similar to bitstamp or coinbase, except with tf2 currency like keys and promos, and non-tf2 currency like bitcoins and paypal.

I was just wondering if people would use such a service, and if it would affect the economy in a bad way. 

I'm planning on making a fee of 0.15% off each transaction.

Not sure I understand the service correctly. It sounds like a normal bot that buys and sells items at a profit.

Edit: for the tf2 items at least

Edit 2: Would the non-tf2 currency exchange involve buying and selling items for those non-tf2 currencies? I recall seeing a bot that bought and sold keys for bitcoin. I'm not really sure how that worked but I don't believe it would really affect the economy. If it works well and is safe to use, I'm fairly sure it'll attract people.

Not sure I understand the service correctly. It sounds like a normal bot that buys and sells items at a profit.

Edit: for the tf2 items at least

Edit 2: Would the non-tf2 currency exchange involve buying and selling items for those non-tf2 currencies? I recall seeing a bot that bought and sold keys for bitcoin. I'm not really sure how that worked but I don't believe it would really affect the economy. If it works well and is safe to use, I'm fairly sure it'll attract people.

No bots, its people buying and selling items on a medium that has no risks because its all maintained on my site. Basically the users control the prices and you can choose to invest in a currency you feel will go up.

tf2 isnt big enough for something like this, i think most people would just stick to normal trading. this is just confusing to the average user.

tf2 isnt big enough for something like this, i think most people would just stick to normal trading. this is just confusing to the average user.

Too confusing for new players

removed

Marketplace.tf?

I think what you proposed is just the same or similar to marketplace.tf. Also, 0.15% transaction fee is too low for the website to survive. Transaction of each key(about $2) will only bring $0.003 revenue. Assume 1000 keys transaction per day, you can only earn $3 per day. (1000 keys transaction per day is nearly impossible)

I'm making a exchange service similar to bitstamp or coinbase, except with tf2 currency like keys and promos, and non-tf2 currency like bitcoins and paypal.

I was just wondering if people would use such a service, and if it would affect the economy in a bad way. 

I'm planning on making a fee of 0.15% off each transaction.

Oh. I believe you're wanting to do something like OPSkins, where you can allow people to trade in a controlled manner with credits, whilst listing the buy and sell prices features similar to that of trade.tf. I think that what you should try to do is some sort of stock exchange with fictitious stock/shares that represents or is related to TF2 in some sort of way.

Anyways, if you're doing what I believe you're doing, then you wouldn't really be affecting the economy. For the latter, I'd say that you can gain some ground if you manage to design + make it function well.

Many people here don't know or have experienced bitcoin trading so they assume it's like other sites (read comments saying such as matketplace.tf), but in my opinion you're better off using cryptsy.com as an example since you include various items, not just keys/bitcoin (in that case bitstamp works as an example).

To explain a bit to other people, he would not be selling or buying anything, it would be peer2peer transaction hosted on his site. His fee is based on the peer2peer transaction.

This is something similar to the steam market place when it comes to items considered commodities, people have buy and sell orders that are fulfilled by other people, and the market trends make the prices fluctuate.

Now to OP, this is a great idea, though the level of complexity to create a secure website for that is too big for a one man team, any bitcoin or crypto-currency trade site are run by full fledged companies, so be careful with that, specially when dealing with bitcoin and private keys (read bitcoin keys, not tf2 keys). Even big bitcoin sites have been hit, if I'm not mistaken even coinbase has had couple thousand bitcoins stolen is the past.

Archived