Unusuals to Shoot for (inexperienced trader here)?

HaylingZar

Hi guys, my backpack's worth about $30 and I've been trading for barely a year. What kind of hats / effects should I aim to get? And which should I avoid? Thanks in advance.

Won't get much desired effects with a $30 bp. 

When you can get into more higher tier trading, first gens, certain second gens, and new effects are what are usually good.

Any. If you have keys and get a good deal (unlikely now a days) from servers or outpost etc then take it and flip profit. Worst thing to do is limit your market, if it's a good deal but it's a summer/robo effect... then take it and flip profit,

You would be better served to wait on unusuals because they can take a while to sell depending on what you price them at and how low you bought them to turn a profit. 

Personally, I'd go with stranges, paints, etc and build from that. You need to get a lot higher than $30 to make a move. Always have around 15-20 keys on hand too for quicksells. 

The best thing to do is to convert that $30 into around 7-10 pure keys, and get into unusual trading. At that low tier, try and buy quicksell second gen effects for ~35% off backpack.tf price, and requicksell them for between 25-30% off for keys again. Make sure to aviod all third gen effects. Keep in mind that once you start getting into unusuals above the 13ish key mark, you will need to buy at a greater discount ~40%, and sell for 33% off.  If you need any more help, ask me, as I like to belive I am an expert at low teir unusual trading.

The best thing to do is to convert that $30 into around 7-10 pure keys, and get into unusual trading. At that low tier, try and buy quicksell second gen effects for ~35% off backpack.tf price, and requicksell them for between 25-30% off for keys again. Make sure to aviod all third gen effects. Keep in mind that once you start getting into unusuals above the 13ish key mark, you will need to buy at a greater discount ~40%, and sell for 33% off.  If you need any more help, ask me, as I like to belive I am an expert at low teir unusual trading.

you've been trading for like a year and your backpack is not exactly massively high tier. not to be rude but i think claiming that you are an expert is misleading.

so is having set percentages for buying and selling. it's a judgement call; it's about guessing how long something will take to sell at prices that will get you profit, and figuring out what is worth waiting for. it's also about being patient. i would say it's about being lucky, but i think patience is the main thing. sometimes the buyer arrives in a day, sometimes it takes a week. that's chance. it takes patience to exploit the market.

@OP

i don't know enough about the tf2 market right now to claim much authority but i can easily see you getting bored of owning and selling 1 item at a time for an extended period as you are likely to need to if you want to leap to 1 low tier unusual from your current backpack.

my advice would be to have a stock of metal, buy cosmetics for a ref or so less than their suggested price, and flip them using backpack.tf automatic. this is easy to do, takes little effort, and should net you a good little rolling profit. on top of that, you can use whatever pure you have lying around to quickbuy stranges or slightly higher tier cosmetics > 1 key in price, etc. basically, buy low, keep your trades bumped, be patient, easy profits. pay no extra for paints, levels, etc.

if you get to a point where you can still do some business along those lines and also have 7-10 keys spare, by all means go hunting for quicksells. at that level it might be best to flip them for a key profit fast just to keep yourself entertained, unless you're patient enough to wait for more. personally i don't trust the unusual market that much any more, but that is just me.

1st gens = tight-fisted traders, high competition, not easy to profit from

2nd gens = junk

3rd gens = easy profit

But, buying anything for the right price is good.

3-rd gens are really profitable , no matter what the others say . It's much easier to sell a low tier 3-rd gen unusual than an expensive 1-st gen unusual . Buy them on a reasonable price ( let's say 40 % off ) and then resell them with a SLIGHT discount ( let's say 10 - 20 % ) . Always worked for me and imo it's the easiest way to make profit . High tier trading ( hats worth often more than 100 keys ) often means more profit out of a SINGLE trade , let's say you buy something for 120 keys , then you might be able to sell it for 150 - 160 keys pure por ejemplo . But you need the funds and surely more time and patience to do so . Aim for the quicksales , no matter which gen they are . DO NOT be afraid to purchase 3-rd gen hats . The thing that they are pain in the ass to sell is a MYTH . Always be reasonable with your sales , aim for the backpack.tf prices but only if recently updated . If you need any help , we'll be here to aid you . 

Archived