Guides for a person new to TF2

Jams

My best friend is getting into TF2 and I couldn't be happier. I wanted to know if anybody knows of a few really basic guides just to push him started. (In the gameplay aspect, not trading. I have him covered there) Thanks.

For the love of god, do NOT taunt after a kill.

Degreaser is bae, as is flare gun.

Kritzkrieg is best medi gun

Machina body shots are okay but headshots are one shot

when I first started playing tf2 I messed around on gorge attack defense with normal/easy bots for an hour or two to get a feel for things.  I've gotten a few of my buddies to try tf2 in the last year, highly suggest you play with them when they play and explain some of the quirkier things about the game to them as they go (being on fire, spies can be invisible, engineer, movement speed, yadda yadda).  I dunno if this is a steam friend or an irl friend, but if possible definitely sit down in the same room when you two play

Have fun

He shouldn't be pushing himself to dominate everyone on the server or top-score. I often find that it isn't fun being frustrated that some person killed you or that you didn't get MVP, as long as you're having fun it doesn't matter how good you are.

For the love of God, do not build your sentry nest in front of your spawn and beside 5 other sentry guns, its a common mistake new players make, and as a demo man, I do appreciate engineer making it easier for me to blow allow their precious buildings up, but it could be irritating for the team with the engi. Also, build a teleporter!

Archived