Computer Case Conundrum

Squidling

I've been saving up for a proper desktop pc for quite a while now, and i'm almost at the point where i'll be buying components, but I've hit a snag.

My room is tiny, and my desk is 87x47 (lengthXdepth, Cm).

I've been searching for a case that will fit this space (the depth is the kicker, but I would ideally like ~50 cm length for my keyboard, mouse and other stuff), and most I've found only just fit (Using the case dimensions and my own measurements of my desk).

But I assume that the depth of the case is without cables plugged in at the back, so I don't know if any of the cases will actually fit my Lilliputian-like desk.

If any of you know the kind of clearance needed for rear cabling, or have any case recommendations, i'd love to hear them. Oh, and price is no object, but I'd prefer to keep it under £150 so I can pretend I didn't spend that much on what is basically a box. Thank you very much, and sorry for the length of my explanation

Summoning AwesomeMcCoolname to tell you what kind of mini PC case you want. You may just want to look up mini PC builds and see if anything interests you. Also, I like how you used Lilliputian.

Instead of having the case to go front to back on the depth, maybe you could place it sideways? Like along the length of the desk.

You may just want to look up mini PC builds and see if anything interests you.

I was looking at some mini cases, but will they still house a full-size graphics card like a Geforce 980? I would prefer to keep the power of a large desktop, I assumed that the mini cases only took miniature components. I get that this might be the only realistic option for me, so thanks for your help on it.

Also, I like how you used Lilliputian.

:D

p.s, has your sig always had the dark souls stuff in it? I don't remember it being there, made me laugh though!

maybe you could place it sideways? 

I would be fine with doing that, as long as I still have enough room to fit my keyboard+mouse+monitor on the desk. The main problem with putting it that way is that I would only have ~10cm left for most cases that I can find, although it would be good as I wouldn't have to worry about any fans being blocked by the orientation

I was looking at some mini cases, but will they still house a full-size graphics card like a Geforce 980? I would prefer to keep the power of a large desktop, I assumed that the mini cases only took miniature components. I get that this might be the only realistic option for me, so thanks for your help on it.

If you really care about form factor over cost, then go with an mITX system (mITX is a motherboard standard -- the smallest one -- that has one full PCIE slot and other than less ports it's identical to the normal full size ATX standard). 

So yes, you can (there are some mITX cases that are more limiting than others) have an mITX system with the EXACT same specs (other than needing an mITX board) as a full size system. There are a ton of mITX cases, so the one to go with will depend on your budget/specific dimensions (and which ones you want to minimize). 

With all of that said, mATX is usually small enough for most use cases and is a decent bit cheaper. 

For small mITX cases, there is the Corsair 380t, Fractal Node 304, and Silverstone has a bunch of them. 

p.s, has your sig always had the dark souls stuff in it? I don't remember it being there, made me laugh though!

My sig has been that way since I had chaika as my profile pic

If you really care about form factor over cost

It's not really a question of cost versus anything, it's more the search for a case that can house a Geforce 980 card (preferably without blocking anything) without absorbing my desk in the process. 

If you really care about form factor over cost, then go with an mITX system (mITX is a motherboard standard -- the smallest one -- that has one full PCIE slot and other than less ports it's identical to the normal full size ATX standard). 

Is it only the PCIE slots that there are less of on a mITX motherboard? I'm thinking of a single GPU system, two sticks of 8G ram, and a wireless chip (as my room isn't wired in properly); would that all still fit in with the motherboard? Sorry if that seem like a silly question, I've never actually seen a mITX board before. 

It's not really a question of cost versus anything, it's more the search for a case that can house a Geforce 980 card (preferably without blocking anything) without absorbing my desk in the process. 

Is it only the PCIE slots that there are less of on a mITX motherboard? I'm thinking of a single GPU system, two sticks of 8G ram, and a wireless chip (as my room isn't wired in properly); would that all still fit in with the motherboard? Sorry if that seem like a silly question, I've never actually seen a mITX board before. 

Like I said, there are a lot of mITX cases that will allow for a full size GPU, and there are a few mATX cases that really aren't all that much bigger....plus you can always put your computer on the floor. 

I'd look for an mITX board with onboard wifi if you need wifi (the alternative would be to pick up a usb wifi dongle) -- but I would definitely consider going mATX as it gives you more expansion room. 

but I would definitely consider going mATX as it gives you more expansion room. 

Sorry about bringing back this thread, but what kind of mATX board would you recommend? I looked around, but I couldn't find many trustworthy reviews or comparisons of different types. Thanks for all your help, by the way :)

Sorry about bringing back this thread, but what kind of mATX board would you recommend? I looked around, but I couldn't find many trustworthy reviews or comparisons of different types. Thanks for all your help, by the way :)

Literally anything from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, or Asrock. 

Z97 if you go with a 4790k/4690k, any other LGA1150 board (H81, B85, B87, H87, H97) if you go for a non-K cpu. 

Archived