LIghtweight Competitive Games To Buy

Bone

Alright here's the deal.

Recently a gaming club opened in our school and I got in as the PC gaming head. Now, we are hosting an inter school event here on 26th November, the PC's in school aren't exactly gaming PC's. Our school hosts the biggest tech symposium all over Delhi, and gaming recently became a part of it so that needs to be smashing.

Now, I was looking for ideas on what games we can have the other participants play. Know that school PC's only have the Intel integrated graphics along with 4Gb ram and an i3 processor.

CS 1.6, FnAF, TrackMania are some of the games we've decided so far but they seem too mainstream and boring to me.

Anything I can get which isn't too heavy but competitive and fun at the same time? Eg. MegaMan

Speedrunning. Games that are good for it always go down well; Sonic, Mario, Zelda, Crash, Ratchet and Clank, Megaman etc. Obviously use emulators.

CS:GO is fairly easy to run, what kinda specs are we talking on these school comps? Also nice to see that you finally got involved with a club like you wanted, Bone.

Speedrunning.Games that are good for it always go down well; Sonic, Mario, Zelda, Crash, Ratchet and Clank, Megaman etc. Obviously use emulators.

Setting up emulators would be a pain in the ass I guess since we'd need to switch between games as there will obviously be multiple rounds/

Awesomenauts, skullgirls, speedrunners, age of empires 2, warcraft 3, unreal, quake 3 arena, total annihilation

unreal and quake 3 were thought of. I will look into the others

CS:GO is fairly easy to run, what kinda specs are we talking on these school comps? Also nice to see that you finally got involved with a club like you wanted, Bone.

ive tried CSGO, shitty fps. So dropping that. And thanks bae

Age of Empires 2 (the HD edition)

Medieval 2 Total War, both hotseats and battles

Awesomenauts

Will look into it

Will look into it

Medieval 2 has quite the learning curve though. If one of your friends already knows how to play the game well he will have quite an advantage. I myself have played it for ~1200 hours (including various mods) yet still I am not that skilled and learn new tricks and techniques regularly.

An even tougher and also quite competitive game that is not too heavy on your pc is Crusader Kings 2. If it does run very heavy you have to make sure Greeks don't try to blind and castrate people, the game may lag because of this

RTS games are easy to run on most PCs and they're really easy to setup for LAN parties and such. Like Rise of Nations, Starcraft 1, Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, Men of War. Same goes for a lot of racing games like Need for Speed, Blur.

quake 3 arena without  doubt. super fast paced, a high skill game too (played in comp scene at qukecon many times) and easy to learn. failin that, unreal is your best bet. the big daddy of comp gaming

any 2d fighting games are fun in my opinion. i'd suggest Skullgirls, Rivals of Aether and the newest iteration of Street Fighter 4

FnAF, 

Ugh, please no. I would say Quake 3 for sure, tf2 with chris's config will run fine (probably).... Minesweeper? I dunno, get creative with your choices :D

Awesomenauts and AOE2:HD would be perfect. You want to make sure that people enjoy them though, so I would ask them if they enjoy 2d MOBAS or Isometric strategy games first.

Starcraft--Warcraft--Age of Empires--Dota2--Command Conquer--Red Alert--Smite--

TF2--Quake3/Live--Insurgency--CS:S--Gmod/(Building something fast af)

SpeedRunners-Trackmania-NFS-Rocket League--Trials

Awesomenauts

And of course  Street Fighter--Tekken--Mortal Kombat

Wow you got I3s? Your school is balling, most (including my own) are still running e8400s. Are you sure you can't run CSGO? It would be nice to know what generation it is from but I was able to run CS at ~80 FPS 800x600 on my laptop's Ivy Bridge I7. And you should note games like CS,LOL and D2 aren't exactly "casual" comp. Once you get sucked in you can't get out. And that is how I got 700+ hours in 6 months...

Archived