Martin Shkreli and Turing Pharmaceuticals

Buy my mixtape fam

Martin Shkreli, CEO of Turing Pharmaceuticals, has became one of the world's biggest douchebags in the past month because he purchased rights to a drug that helps those with AIDS and parasitic diseases. He recently did an AMA on Reddit, where he basically confirmed that he was a sociopath, conceded asshole (if you want proof, look at any comment. Really. Any comment). 

So my question is: Is there anyone out there that sides with this guy? 

/inb4hatebecausenoonesideswithhim

he purchased rights to a drug that helps those with AIDS and parasitic diseases.

this just tells me you blindly read some article on yahoo and took the bandwagon stance

what caused controversy was the fact that he raised the price of the drug by a shitton, and there are reasons that go for and against this action, including the point that he needed to make a profit off of his purchase of the rights first

A company called Imprimis Pharmaceuticals recently came up with a version that will cost less than a dollar per pill as opposed to the 750 this guy's trying to charge.

Martin Shkreli, CEO of Turing Pharmaceuticals, has became one of the world's biggest douchebags in the past month because he purchased rights to a drug that helps those with AIDS and parasitic diseases. He recently did an AMA on Reddit, where he basically confirmed that he was a sociopath, conceded asshole (if you want proof, look at any comment. Really. Any comment).

That's a big thread. Could you quote some of the posts that confirme he's got sociopathic tendencies?

Hey! Doctor here and I work in India.

Now medically speaking I haven't yet heard of why your drug's worth $749 more than my pyrimethamine. [...]

Our pyrimethamine is the same pyrimethamine for 70 years. I would like to create a more potent pyrimethamine which would be more efficacious and have few side effects (including not requirin folinic acid co-administration).

How have you and your public relations team dealt with the recent controversy?

poorly

You have continuously rejected accusations of profiteering. But how do you justify the very recent explosion in specialty drug costs across the board, [...]

There are many expensive "specialty" drugs. The system works because other companies will make better drugs to compete. Look at multiple sclerosis.

No one wanted to make MS drugs because the market was seen to be too small. As a result, MS had few therapies outside of corticosteroids. Biogen came along and developed interferons. IFN doesn't work particularly well, but Biogen sold over $1 billion of Avonex. This spurred dozens of companies to try to beat IFN. Today, we have wonderful new drugs like Tysabri, Gilenya and Tecfidera, which have been proven to halt or slow the disability of multiple sclerosis. I think that's a great thing.

If you could go back in time to the day before you announced the price increase, what would you do differently going forward, if anything?

Explain it more carefully instead of being a flippant jackass.

Why is your public image so important to you right now? I mean, it seems vain, doesn't it? I see you're saying you're in the business to help people, but why are you trying to convince people your actions are commendable? Shouldn't your actions be able to speak for themselves?

I would ordinarily agree with you but I've been smeared by foolish politicians.

In all seriousness, why are you here? I don't mean that in a confrontational way, at all. I'm just wondering why you decided to go onto the website that built most of the hate against you, and hold a 22 hour AMA?

I think you have the wrong impression. I have hundreds of emails supporting me. "Downvotes" aren't that scary.

I mean ... I'm not seeing it ... Sure, if a CEO increases prizes, he's not gonna win favors ... and if he does it by targetting sick people, he's really not doing himself a favor ... but like ... world's biggest douchebag? What? There are no more serial child molesters or something to chose from?

A company called Imprimis Pharmaceuticals recently came up with a version that will cost less than a dollar per pill as opposed to the 750 this guy's trying to charge.

indeed. IIRC the drug first cost $1, then $13 bucks ... and nobody cared

But now that he skyrockted the price, suddenly people will once again have to pay only $1 again.

He ended up pulling a Judas (Judas's gospel notes that Jesus was able to die for our sins only because Judas betrayed him)

Evil move. No need to hike the price that high. With the other company countering him though, I'd be interested to see how Martin responds to that.

Evil move. No need to hike the price that high. With the other company countering him though, I'd be interested to see how Martin responds to that.

He said nobody who actually has the disease is paying a dime more, it's all on insurance, and even if they don't have insurance they pay a very low price for the drug

Looking at his AMA from a year ago he doesn't seem like such an asshole

He said nobody who actually has the disease is paying a dime more, it's all on insurance, and even if they don't have insurance they pay a very low price for the drug

Do you have any evidence to back this up? I'm not saying you don't, but I'm not so sure this is true. 

Archived