Monitor & OS Choices

Repose_

As a person who used all versions of windows, I personally dont have an issue with most of them. And have been adapting to windows 8 & 10 for about a year now. However since i am making a new pc build, I would like to get some facts and opinions on which OS is better to choose in terms and performance and convenience.

As for the next segment is the monitors. I have only scratched the surface of 144hz monitors and found this $200 monitor http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KO4518I/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00KO4518I&linkCode=as2&tag=bestpcmonitors-20&linkId=FR5H5DICT6BWCSBL

However I want to know if anyone has found or knows of even less costly monitors in 144hz that is in 1080p with a reasonable screen size.

Help and support is appreciated as always :3

$200 is a pretty great price for a 144hz monitor, although I would recommend something better....like a BenQ XL2411z or an Asus VG248QE. Although, while 144hz is great, I would generally prefer an IPS monitor with better colors to a 144hz (TN) monitor in most games -- the exceptions being twitch shooters (i.e. CSGO). 

W10 > W8.1 > W7 

So what's so good about win10? I still have 7

Other than DX12 support it's just generally a bit snappier and has a few random features (which if you cared about you would have downloaded a third party app that does the same thing -- i.e. multiple desktops/other). Honestly, there really isn't much of a compelling reason to upgrade from w7 even. Right now I'm running W7 on one drive, W8.1 on my other drive, and W10 on my SP3 and I honestly just can't be bothered to upgrade either of my desktops drives to w10. 

$200 is a pretty great price for a 144hz monitor, although I would recommend something better....like a BenQ XL2411z or an Asus VG248QE. Although, while 144hz is great, I would generally prefer an IPS monitor with better colors to a 144hz (TN) monitor in most games -- the exceptions being twitch shooters (i.e. CSGO). 

W10 > W8.1 > W7

Im not sure what IPS Monitor is.

Also I can agree to an extent windows 10 is pretty well done. If the price is right I may consider getting it.

^^too true, so sad they are discontinuing extended support for it in january 2020. Use Linux

There's no reason for them to continue supporting W7 when they're giving everyone a free upgrade to w10; especially when w10 is basically just a better version of w7 (To all you idiots who are freaking out about W10 spying on you, w7 does the same shit. Telemetry reporting has been in windows since XP). Considering W7 will be 10 years old by then, I see no issues with this. 

Im not sure what IPS Monitor is.

Also I can agree to an extent windows 10 is pretty well done. If the price is right I may consider getting it.

In-plane switching, it refers to the LCD panel technology. IPS has better viewing angles and much better colors than even a high end TN panel (like the ones in the XL2411Z/VG248QE).

Get whichever version is cheaper and upgrade to w10. 

There's no reason for them to continue supporting W7 when they're giving everyone a free upgrade to w10; especially when w10 is basically just a better version of w7 (To all you idiots who are freaking out about W10 spying on you, w7 does the same shit. Telemetry reporting has been in windows since XP). Considering W7 will be 10 years old by then, I see no issues with this. 

In-plane switching, it refers to the LCD panel technology. IPS has better viewing angles and much better colors than even a high end TN panel (like the ones in the XL2411Z/VG248QE).

Get whichever version is cheaper and upgrade to w10.

Do you happen to know what is the cheapest IPS monitor I could get that provides 144hz? I watched a few videos just now and can really see the difference in TN and IPS

Do you happen to know what is the cheapest IPS monitor I could get that provides 144hz? I watched a few videos just now and can really see the difference in TN and IPS

Did you watch that video on a TN panel? 

And there are no 1080p 144hz IPS monitors. It's IPS 60hz or 144hz TN.  

Other than DX12 support it's just generally a bit snappier and has a few random features (which if you cared about you would have downloaded a third party app that does the same thing -- i.e. multiple desktops/other). Honestly, there really isn't much of a compelling reason to upgrade from w7 even. Right now I'm running W7 on one drive, W8.1 on my other drive, and W10 on my SP3 and I honestly just can't be bothered to upgrade either of my desktops drives to w10. 

I did it because I noticed that Windows 7 really loved to chew up my ram when I had my laptop. 

I did it because I noticed that Windows 7 really loved to chew up my ram when I had my laptop. 

All three basically use the same amount of RAM; so if any one was consuming noticeably more RAM than the other two then there was likely something else going on. 

All three basically use the same amount of RAM; so if any one was consuming noticeably more RAM than the other two then there was likely something else going on. 

Really? That's weird because an idle with Windows 7 with only Skype open took up nearly 4gb and now thats been reduced to around ~2.9 with W10.

Really? That's weird because an idle with Windows 7 with only Skype open took up nearly 4gb and now thats been reduced to around ~2.9 with W10.

There was probably something else causing the issue. 

Archived