Does Driver's Ed Make Insurance Cheaper When You're An Adult?

ThatOtherChigga #Mack

I know that it decreases the cost of insurance for teen drivers, but will insurance still be cheaper when you became an adult?

I imagine it would. A driver who was in a formal class, as opposed to having learned the rules on their own, is far more likely to know the correct ways to drive, which would translate to a decreased risk of accident, and by extension, a lower insurance rate.

But either way, if you're asking his because you're debating whether or not to go into Drivers Ed, I strongly recommend you do it. It's not hard to pass, most of what you learn is common sense, but there are a lot of finer details which you'd miss if you chose not to.

If you take a defensive driving class , In California at least, you will get better rates. Driver's Ed is required to get your license period (in California at least). Behind the Wheel is only required if you are under 18.

Again, this is only in California, I can't say that it'll be applicable outside of the state.

From NJ, you're required to have a Driver's Ed course. I didnt think it was different anywhere else. NJ already has stupid high rates (one if not 1st in the country) so I get screwed with payment anyway. Depending on who your insurer is, you might be able to get a deal or so on taking a course. I know some give you discounts for every year you drive without an accident, so I guess by the time you get your licence to the time you're 20 or something, those discounts may add up. There are a lot of other factors as well, like what year car you drive, what type of car it is, where you live, etc. As for if that discount for taking a course sticks, if there is one, I would imagine it would as long as you don't rack up tickets or something.

I want to say I lost the bonus when I turned 21, but the safe driver discount I then became eligible for more than made up for that.

Archived