Review of the use of the term "cancer"

The Flying Sloth

Hi guys, 

I've made a couple of successful reports on outpost about the use of the term 'cancer' to describe items. Not only did my father die 2 months ago due to rapid stage 3 cancer, many of my friends have similar stories. We all find it highly irritating and offensive when users describe items as being 'cancer' items. Using the term is insensitive to the families and friends of people who have gone through serious trauma and honestly I do not believe the word has a place in our child friendly community. I do understand that the term is used to describe rubbish items but really it is just easier and less offensive to call them bad items. I am a reasonably experienced trader and the word just is not fitting of the fine people of the TF2 and CS:GO communities.

Can the admin team please review the use of this term as it is not a friendly term and it really is not acceptable. 

Sincerely

The Flying Sloth

Posted · Hidden by polar, October 22, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by polar, October 22, 2015 - No reason given

gb please

As a sidenote:

Oz3mP5x.png

My parents had dirt on them, you're rude.

Posted · Hidden by polar, October 22, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by polar, October 22, 2015 - No reason given

gb please 

Oz3mP5x.png

My parents had dirt on them, and here you are using a horrible word. You need to stop.

Using the word, "cancer," to describe items is certainly crass at best. I have no issue with a thread encouraging users to be more mindful of what they are saying and to use more precise diction and syntax. But I certainly will not be warning or banning people who chose to use it anyways. TF2 is an "M" rated game. People use swear words around here, at times for comedic effect and at times just out of poor taste. But I think we are all old enough to make our own decisions about how we choose to portray ourselves with the language we use.

I am personally not offended by the use of terms like nigger, faggot, cancer, et cetera. However I can see why some people would, and I go out of my way to avoid using them, both because I try not to piss people off unnecessarily, and because I care about how others feel. The only thing that annoys me is people not communicating effectively. I don't care if people use terms like the ones I listed above, but even not being offended by them personally, I find people using them to be ignorant and I strive not to be that way. I have very lax standards when it comes to communication, and the worst thing you can do around me is simply fail to get your point across, but I am also annoyed by the excessive use of abrasive language. Cancer is not a word I would use to describe an item, as it's really very inaccurate, as unusuals aren't a life threatening disease that spreads to other parts of the body and wreaks havoc, but I don't mind when people say it themselves, as I understand what they're trying to tell me, and that's what matters.

-snip-

You don't own the word cancer. Cancer patients don't own the word cancer. 

While the word is used incorrectly, it is hardly offensive unless you make it offensive.

KnxYJ5k.png

Bad unusuals are hardly a destructive practice that is hard to contain or eradicate, but that doesn't make it offensive. Stop trying to own a word you don't. People die, if you can't deal with that then why are you playing games? You clearly need help if you get offended by every word thrown out there that reminds you of cancer.

Good thing many high tier trading servers disallows people from saying it.And sure it has another meaning but still hurtful for many many people.

Good thing many high tier trading servers disallows people from saying it.And sure it has another meaning but still hurtful for many many people.

They need to get over it. If they want to censor words, they can enjoy life without the internet and move to a country that has lots of censorship. Otherwise, get over it.

I've lost a few relatives to cancer and while I don't believe that the term is necessarily offensive towards me, I do think that it's a bit unnecessary. However I don't think it should be censored, it's really on the more mild end of inappropriate words to use. There really isn't anything to be done for changing it, and banning people for the term would be severe over-censorship and a waste of time

and honestly I do not believe the word has a place in our child friendly community. 

this game is M, there are maaaaaaaaany children who play the game but they should not be offended by 'mature content' and do not get a say in what is allowed

Brave to make an attempt of changing the trivial usage of a word over the internet, but you will never succeed because its the internet.

Using the term is insensitive to the families and friends of people who have gone through serious trauma and honestly I do not believe the word has a place in our child friendly community.

Uhh.. no idea on what community you were part of, but a community having :

9/11 jokes

Trivial usage of controversial words

Exaggerating amounts of dank memes

Hitler jokes

Stalin jokes

Autism jokes

Sexualized anthropomorphic animals

Sexualized anime women

Flame wars

... and many other

Is safe to assume that is NOT a child friendly community. It has children yes, but its not child friendly. The children are not even child friendly.

TF2 is an "M" rated game. People use swear words around here, at times for comedic effect and at times just out of poor taste. But I think we are all old enough to make our own decisions about how we choose to portray ourselves with the language we use.

Isn't it the same story for the words nigger and faggot?

Isn't it the same story for the words nigger and faggot?

those words are intended as derogatory and created to put people down, whereas cancer is an illness that has the connotations of something being bad

I think it's quite offensive or inconsiderate to use the term without knowing who's gonna see it. I haven't known anyone with cancer but myself I might possibly have bone cancer.

those words are intended as derogatory and created to put people down, whereas cancer is an illness that has the connotations of something being bad

But the worda nigger and faggot are nothing else than the words black guy and homosexual. Sure, they're a tad rude. But those words are NOT worse than a disease that kills frequently. I dont see the logic here.

But the worda nigger and faggot are nothing else than the words black guy and homosexual. Sure, they're a tad rude. But those words are NOT worse than a disease that kills frequently. I dont see the logic here.

That's the heart of the argument, though. You might perceive the terms "Nigger" and "Faggot" to be just "Black person" and "Homosexual", but those groups of people find it extremely derogatory. And those words are generally considered to be worse than "Cancer".

Same sort of thing here. Sloth finds that word derogatory because of the affect cancer has had in their life. The only difference between all these words is simply the fact that far fewer people are offended by "Cancer".

Cancer isn't an offensive word descriptive and insultive to an actual person. It's something insensitive, sure, but cancer isn't a person. A nigger and a faggot are actual people.

This post just gave me cancer

No chill

On a related note, my family has been very cancer prone, I have had multiple members die to cancer including my brother when I was 15. The use of the term "cancer" rarely refers to the actual disease, thus I do not find it offensive nor do I see it as any more of a problem than the other types of jokes in the tf2 community.

I personally dont use that word to describe items or antoher related stuff.

That being said, 2 realtives of mine died of cancer some time ago, but i dont get angry when I see someone using that word. I cant tell people what they can say and what they cant. I even laugh sometimes when I see the popular spiderman meme "that gave me cancer". I am really sorry for your loss, I wont say you "just smile, forget about that" but you cant get mad everytime someone says something about cancer or something that irritates you.

Makes a post explaining how using a word to describe an item makes then butthurt, but replaces the image of the Pope, a holy person, extremely important for the Catholic religion, with a picture of a sloth. Many people could argue that is offensive, but it takes a real kid to cry about it, in other words you're a kid for being immature about a harmless internet joke.

In summary, get over it, I'm Catholic and I take the image of the Pope extremely seriously, but I'm also mature and not a 12 year old..

Y

KnxYJ5k.png

Cancer's synonyms are a lot more fun to use, honestly.

"Your headgear is a blight on the face of this community, my good sir, and I would never accept such a malignant head-ornament in exchange for my own."

Makes a post explaining how using a word to describe an item makes then butthurt, but replaces the image of the Pope, a holy person, extremely important for the Catholic religion, with a picture of a sloth. Many people could argue that is offensive, but it takes a real kid to cry about it, in other words you're a kid for being immature about a harmless internet joke.

In summary, get over it, I'm Catholic and I take the image of the Pope extremely seriously, but I'm also mature and not a 12 year old..

That was a bit harsh.

I think it's quite offensive or inconsiderate to use the term without knowing who's gonna see it. I haven't known anyone with cancer but myself I might possibly have bone cancer.

get a bone marrow test to confirm

Archived