Are We Alone

Chilled Soda

Yea, I'm pretty sure there is. Considering the millions of solar systems alone in this galaxy, the millions of galaxies in superclusters, and the groups of those, I'm quite confident that there is both life smarter and stupid than us.

Even if we are examining the boring reality of what we can see, the amount and contents of space is too vast not to have life elsewhere. Now, if we include theories concerning stuff like parallel universes, or that black-holes may contain new baby universes inside of them creating a infinite infinite universe (which, if true, means we ourselves are statistically a baby universe spawned from a black holes' contents and there are several layers above us).... As an exercise into the infinite: Imagine this: What if our universe shrunk to the size of a plank length took on the properties of the most fundamental forms of matter: like a quark. Imagine then that several of our universe' can create one elementary particle: a proton. In this case a universe is truly an infinite infinity: As you get smaller and smaller you simply enter into a new universe with a smaller length-scale. As you get larger and larger you "zoom out" and begin to see our infinite universe with an infinite amount of space between it and another infinite universe, and they are only 2 of an absurdly large number of more universes comprising the most basic elements that make up a new universe with a larger length-scale. And so on and so forth.

So, granted that there is life, how does it compare to us?

Stars form elements in a predictable, testable, nature. Hydrogen fuses into Helium. Helium into Carbon. Carbon into Neon. Neon into Oxygen. Oxygen into Silicon. Silicon into Iron. This makes these elements the most common ones that exist since the birth of the universe. We cannot get things heavier than iron by fusion throughout a stars lifetime.

So, the common elements. H, He, C, Ne, O, Si, Fe.

If we make the assumption of more connections being more conducive to the formation of complex life, C and Si based lifeforms are predicted.

Given that you are sampling life from a similarly aged portion of the universe, life out there is probably very similar to life on our planet, chemically and functionally. Will it look like us? Probably not. Humans are simply the top of the food chain by luck and chance.

My definition of the universe is the collection of space-time that adheres to our observed physical limitation.Thus in other universi, there could be completely bizzarre and truly alien combinations leading up to life (think entirely new elements, new building blocks, etc)

Yet all this is worthless until we develop faster-than-light travel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think that thinking that you are alone makes you pretty ignorant

I agree, and sooooo many people are so sure of it, I find it to be possibly one of the most annoying things in the world.

My friend swore up and down she saw a UFO the other day but that's probably BS. 

Do I believe there's life out there? Yes, if we as humans believe in evolution and that organic matter can come from just CHONP, then there's bound to be life on other planets with the same elements. 

Will they ever interact us? Probably not for a long time. Assuming the universe was created at the same time (going off the bible, which i know is awkward since i just said evolution) then they would be just like us meaning not having the ability to interact with us because of lack of technology. As far as physical appearance, there's no telling how they evolved and adapted to the world. The sentient species on another planet could very well be a horse that adapted better than any other species.

I think that thinking that you are alone makes you pretty ignorant

not necessarily, you could make an argument that there's more evidence pointing to us being alone in the universe, as believing that we aren't alone is mainly logical and statistical without any hard fact

also the fermi paradox is neat

That shit about Roswell New Mexico is kind of interesting, what with the wood that doesn't light on fire and the strange symbols and the weird metal and all that. Makes you wonder, but without any means of proving it I guess all it is is wondering.

if there was the universe is so vast the chances of an andvance species stumbling upon our planet or even our galaxy for that matter would be highly unlikely, even if aliens wanted our silly planet they would be so far advanced we would be less than insects to them.  we are brutal and we are destroying ourselves they wouldnt bat an eye at killing us all

I highly doubt we are alone. The chances are just too much against it. Think about all the planets in this universe, all the time that has passed, and all the time that will pass - we can't be the only ones.

Has sentient life visited Earth? The real question should be if you want a tinfoil hat or not.

Archived