Kashmir conflict

A Cyan Stone in Mustard

The Kashmir conflict is something that has been around for about 70 years now. It is fought mostly between Pakistan and India, and somewhat by China.

The main reason for the conflict is religion, which is also the main reason for why India was partitioned. Pakistan and West Pakistan (now Bangladesh) are what was created from the partition, and the states of Kashmir and Hyderabad remained independent.

Religious map of Kashmir:
yxIw3cK.png

Hyderabad was a Hindu majority state run by a Muslim Maharajah, and Kashmir was a Muslim majority state run by a Hindu Maharajah. India annexed Hyderabad, and Kashmir was attempted to be annexed by Pakistan. The Maharajah asked for help from India, which would only agree to do so if he gave up its independence to India, which he did.

Three wars large wars have been fought, and this is how the control of the region stands today: (Green: Pakistan, Blue: India, Yellow: China, White: Disputed control)

978px-Kashmir_map.svg.png

Personally I think that the Muslim majority regions should go to Pakistan, while the Hindu majority regions should stay with India. The Buddhist majority regions should go to Tibet if it ever gains independence, though considering the low probability of that, it should stay with India. My family is also originally from the Kashmir Valley, but they left after the wars broke out and India captured their land.

What are your thoughts?

I think it's incredible how in the 21st century there are still wars going on.

Especially over religion.

It's also quite interesting, especially since this is the first time I've heard of it; great school systems, eh?

Yea, my mom told me about this (my parents being Indian immigrants). I honestly don't see why China has to stick a leg in this. Though I might be biased, I feel China should stay out, with the Buddhist going to Tibet, which China is also bullying around. Pakistan should've never gotten involved, but it being a largely Muslim area, the West should go to Pakistan, with the rest of India going to India.

I find it sad this conflict hasn't been resolved. My family left Kashmir in the 50s (though due to Punjabi immigration rather than war) and the situation has escalated since. Both sides use the region for their own proxy wars, more so Pakistan. Personally, I want to see better independence movements but the majority won't put aside their differences to better their future. I mean Pakistan doesn't even see parts of Kashmir as its own yet, thus not having to give them basic rights. What life is that?

At this day and age all these wars about religion should have been done by now and the real wars need to start against our governments. Have you seen the US and UK governments? How the hell have there not been an all out rebellion already.

I think it's incredible how in the 21st century there are still wars going on.

Especially over religion.

It's also quite interesting, especially since this is the first time I've heard of it; great school systems, eh?

At this day and age all these wars about religion should have been done by now and the real wars need to start against our governments. Have you seen the US and UK governments? How the hell have there not been an all out rebellion already.

You guys may think it's silly that religion is what separates the two countries, but look at the UK and Ireland. Ireland is Catholic while the UK is Protestant, which is one of the reasons that separate them, and one of the main things that separate Northern Ireland from the Republic of Ireland.

Archived