Should the US abolish the penny?

Punishment_Fatal

The penny. A significant coin in the US currency system that is made from copper and other common metals. People have been arguing for a while on getting the penny removed from circulation. The penny, only being 1 cent, costs, in new metals, more money to make than it's actually worth. Do you guys think it should be abolished or at the very least, replaced?

Should be replaced but we all know stores are going to round everything up like when taxes are added and it's not a multiple of 5 

Stop making more. Don't stop them from being in circulation obviously though. I believe nickels also cost more than they're worth, correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted · Hidden by puddingkip, October 12, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by puddingkip, October 12, 2015 - No reason given

if I had a penny for every penny lost in making pennies, I'd be Bill Gates

They round it up at .3 or higher and down at .2 or less, unless you are paying with debit/credit

Easily done, Canada is already this way. 

We also had gay rights long before the states did. Keep trying to catch up to us, America.

They round it up at .3 or higher and down at .2 or less, unless you are paying with debit/credit

Easily done, Canada is already this way. 

We also had gay rights long before the states did. Keep trying to catch up to us, America.

and you're still abusing the native inhabitants of your land and drilling vast amounts of oil. don't get uppity because you abolished a coin fam

Just kill it off. US military bases not in the US have actually stopped using the penny for years now. Even abolishing up to the nickel in't a bad idea.

Stop making more. Don't stop them from being in circulation obviously though. I believe nickels also cost more than they're worth, correct me if I'm wrong.

It costs about 10 cents to make a nickel. 

and you're still abusing the native inhabitants of your land and drilling vast amounts of oil. don't get uppity because you abolished a coin fam

at least we're not more than a third obese

edit: that sounded a bit flamey, gonna just point out that everyone's at least a quarter obese now

Aussie here we dropped the 1cents ages ago, we have nice different coloured plastic bills too :D

Not sure you want people to being up what America has done to the world in the recent years also if Canada stopped drilling their oil reverse US wouldnt exactly be well off...Especially since peak oil is expected to be reached soon...

everyone who didn't just have 3 seperate school shootings in one day and still refuse to increase gun control, raise your hand.

oh.

oh how sad for you.

I'd love to get rid of the penny and round everything up or down to the nearest 0 or 5. Fun fact: US military bases already do it, they don't fuck around with cents.

Unfortunately, there's a pretty strong zinc lobby (pennies are 97% zinc), and they've pretty much been lobbying congress to keep the penny since people starting thinking about ditching it.

The only way we're gonna get rid of the penny is if we also get rid of the absurd level of corporate lobbying and infiltration into our government.

Bernie Sanders 2019

everyone who didn't just have 3 seperate school shootings in one day and still refuse to increase gun control, raise your hand.

oh.

oh how sad for you.

Gun control is not gonna happen, if you lost your rights, raise your hands.

I will sleep with my guns if I have to. 

PS. Penny should go.

Gun control is not gonna happen, if you lost your rights, raise your hands.

The number one argument for no gun control is that you need a gun to for safety which begs the questions why anyone in America is bragging about their "freedom", needing a gun to feel safe is not by any definition freedom in my books :L

Gun control is not gonna happen, if you lost your rights

Gun control is not going to happen because of (again) lobbying by the NRA and every gun enthusiasts there is out there  

Archived