Do you ever think mass will ever be able to travel as fast or faster than the speed of light?

Sakamoto

Einstein the dream-squasher.

1340274706_8029_Einstein.jpg?itok=u-N6n8

So, the Theory of Relativity says: 

'The Theory of Relativity says that objects gain mass as they speed up, and that speeding up requires energy. The more mass, the more energy is required. By the time an object reached the speed of light, Einstein calculated, its mass would be infinite, and so would the amount of energy required to increase its speed. To go beyond the infinite is impossible.'

Ever think science will get so advanced that human kind is able to defy this law?

Discuss.

Care to explain?

eventually given time, humans will probably evolve to be advanced enough not the be stupid as fuck. it may take a long time, but its still possible.

Through standard means, I doubt it.

But then again, we once said that moving faster than 20 mph in a train would rip our bodies apart because we couldn't withstand the force. And also that we couldn't break the sound barrier. I'm sure we'll figure out some way to do it someday.

400th post yay

I like  how all these answers are like plain "no" "yes" "dont think so" no elaboration.

I think they (we?) could eventually get there, maybe a million years but I think we could make it if we continue at the speed of technology we are at now or faster.

We're both able & unable to go faster then the speed of light, because the faster you go, the slower/faster time moves.

Allow me to explain: Lets take consider we go just a bit slower then a photon (a light particle), and travel from the sun to earth.

• From the perspective of someone who stands still, it takes ~8 minutes for us to get from the sun to the earth (as the earth is 8 light minutes away - which my definition is the distance light travels in 8 minutes).
    Dividing distance with time, and he gets ~ 300 000 km/s ... or about the speed of light

• However, for us, time went slower. if we clock our time, only a few seconds would have passed (lets say 0.8). So, from our perspective, we've crosed the same distance 600 times faster - so "technically" we traveled at 600 times the speed of light.

Can we travel faster? sure, we can cross the same distance in 0.4 seconds. we could cross the distance ins 0.2 seconds ... Photons (light), in fact travels so fast (at the speed of light) that the time it takes to get anywhere (for the photon) is actually zero.

And there in lies the problem: speed is distance divided by time. We can travel a specific distance in 1 year, in 1 hour, in 1 minute, in 1 second, etc ... but even if we're able to cross that distance in 0 seconds (reach a speed of infinity) - for onlookers, we would 'only' be traveling the speed of light

To travel faster then the speed of light (for an onlooker), one would have to be able to travel the distance in a negative amount of time.

--------------------

On the bright side though: such things has never stopped human enginuity. So ... currently we're looking into techniques that would fold up space. If we're stuck with that stupid time constraint, we're looking into cheating and altering the distance instead.

If any major human advancement wouldn't be achieved in my lifetime then i really don't bother caring or hoping too much of it.

If there's any hope or interest i have for advance space travel, planets, theories or any of sorts in astronomy, then i just watch Neil Degrasse Tyson since its always a pleasure listening to him, and you should too for those who hasn't watched him yet.

Electricity, the flow of electrons, is faster than light.

Isn't it like 1/100th the speed of light?

"In everyday electrical and electronic devices, the signals or energy travel as electromagnetic waves typically on the order of 50% to 99% of the speed of light, while the electrons themselves move (drift) much more slowly."

Quoted from wikipedia.

It depends on your definition if "travel" is it moving from place A to B or is it the time it takes to move a X amount of distance while in reference frame. We still dont know what happens inside a black hole (a point in time space where it is infinite) which may be a "method" to move from point A to B  very fast...etc

Their are still many things which are unexplained in the universe which Einstein's model of time space doesnt explain which suggests that the model of gravity we currently have is not entirely correct so it is possible to travel faster than light. Eg dark matter, light holes (remains hypothetical)...etc which are still not understood.

However assuming einstein's model is 100% factual and isnt missing anything then it is impossible to move faster than light.

Archived