Should people with certain disabilities be able to have certain jobs?

Mountain Ritos

Now, I am all for disabled people having equality

But I saw a story similar to this a while ago on the TODAY show

http://www.today.com/news/new-white-house-receptionist-west-wing-pioneer-deaf-people-can-t11431

Should DEAF people have the right to have a job that requires answering phones...?

I honestly don't think so, there are many other positions for someone with said disability.

I guess anyone can pursue any job they want...but there does come a point. Also, the White House receptionist does not just only answer phones. In the words of the article she " is usually the first to greet anyone — from world leaders to White House staff members" and " is responsible for collecting cell phones before meetings with the president.". 

Could work I suppose 

No.

I got a great mate and he's extremely smart and everything, but he simply won't ever be able to do some jobs because he was born with one arm and one leg. It's annoying for disabled people but there's some stuff that's just impossible to do. It's got nothing to do with unequal treatment. If they were capable to do the job and are denied the job despite having at least as good qualifications as other people then yes, it is discrimination and unequal treatment. If they can't (fully) do their jobs then that's tough luck but a no go

No. 

That's like if Helen Keller were an air traffic director. Some people just physically can't do some jobs. Like my little scrawny body can't do any like, heavy lifting jobs because I physically can't lift them. It's not discrimination, it's the fact that they physically can't do it. If you can't do something, or would have a hard time doing it, why would you apply for it in the first place?

I think the question is pretty obvious. 

As long as their disability doesn't directly interfere with their work (like examples listed above), they should be allowed to work wherever they want.

• 2 weeks later...

Should DEAF people have the right to have a job that requires answering phones...?

I honestly don't think so, there are many other positions for someone with said disability.

Strictly speaking you have the right to do anything, a employer cannot discriminate because of their disability however with that said you as the employer will also require the person to be able to accomplish the job you are paying for them. So yes, they have the right to apply for the job, there is nothing stopping them but will you get the job is an entirely different story.

On a side note there is that down syndrome girl who is a "professional shredder" who destroys classified documents for companies...etc and their is no change of it being leaked because she cannot read or write. https://www.autismspeaks.org/news/news-item/woman-autism-down-syndrome-proud-be-quotmaster-shredderquot

I don't know if this is really even all that much of a problem. A very frail, weak person is not going to want to work in a warehouse moving heavy things and operating heavy machinery. A deaf person wouldn't want to try to answer phones for a living. 

I think the government has gotten too involved in business management. A business owner should be able to hire whoever he wants and fire whoever he wants, and I think it is his/her every right to pick and choose their employees based on any factor they choose (barring blatant racism or sexism). 

Have SJWs gone so far that denying a legless person a job that requires legs is considered discrimination etc?

Your example of a deaf guy working in a call center is retarded, that's like getting mad at a company for refusing to hire a dead person. You can't listen to customers if you can't listen.

I'm sure you know this, but OP is just making a point.

You don't need to inform me when I agree with a point that OP made that the OP made a point.

Okay, let's get past the point of obviously contrasting disabilities and jobs

Considering I have glasses, I believe I should still have the same opportunity to fly a plane as anyone else, because with my glasses or contacts I can see just fine. Any opinions on this idea or similar?

Considering I have glasses, I believe I should still have the same opportunity to fly a plane as anyone else, because with my glasses or contacts I can see just fine. Any opinions on this idea or similar?

Everyone has the same opportunities, everyone has the right to apply for a job...etc you can get the job but you would most likely be turned away because someone else who had applied for the job has the exact same abilities as you but doesn't need glasses/contacts.

The employer will hire who he thinks will best complete the job and it's as simple as that.

Employers denying you the right to apply because of a disability...etc then it the line of discrimination/equality will be blurred and can get into deep shit. Eg. I can advertise a job opportunity for X and have requirements you must be able to do [insert list] as it's required or part of the law. But I cannot go if you are applying, no autism, no disabilities, no down syndrome...etc

Everyone has the same opportunities, everyone has the right to apply for a job...etc you can get the job but you would most likely be turned away because someone else who had applied for the job has the exact same abilities as you but doesn't need glasses/contacts.

The employer will hire who he thinks will best complete the job and it's as simple as that.

Employers denying you the right to apply because of a disability...etc then it the line of discrimination/equality will be blurred and can get into deep shit. Eg. I can advertise a job opportunity for X and have requirements you must be able to do [insert list] as it's required or part of the law. But I cannot go if you are applying, no autism, no disabilities, no down syndrome...etc

I'm pretty sure it's a requirement to have 20/20 vision for some jobs, like flying.

Archived