Informality of Forums and Linguistic Complexity

ℕ Hilbert-WARing Theorem™

In forums such as this, the expectations for language complexity are quite low. The expectations themselves are expected to be low for the reason that this is not a forum for scientific debate, but for discussion gravitating around a focus point of shared or mutual interest. Now, verbose language can be not only detrimental for understanding, but also possibly for your image and credibility. If you sound like a child using a thesaurus, that will inevitable tarnish what others may think of you and perhaps annoy others also.

Thus, in an informal community discussion board such as this one, language is expected to be relatively simple, for clarity and comprehension. Nonetheless, I believe that the forum should also be welcoming and tolerant of linguistic complexity, for the sake of coherency and professionalism, as long as it is not completely undue. If you are explaining a concept to a pupil, use a common vocabulary, regardless of your self-imposed linguistic criteria. However, if you are simply starting a discussion, as long as the language is understandable, I do not see an issue. Make it natural, of course, but you can speak in proper sentences and be grammatically correct.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The title is quite odd in such a forum, even if it is serious. However, the concept is very simple and perhaps even self-explanatory.

In forums such as this, the expectations for language complexity are quite low and perhaps even rigidly so. Not only are the expectations low, but the expectations themselves are expected to be low for the reason that this is not a forum for scientific debate, but for discussion gravitating around a focus point of shared or mutual interest. Now, excessively verbose language can be not only detrimental for understanding, but also possibly for your image and credibility. If you sound like a child using a thesaurus, that will inevitable tarnish what others may think of you and perhaps annoy others also.

Thus, in an informal community discussion board such as this one, language is expected to be relatively simple, for clarity and comprehension. Nonetheless, I believe that the forum should also be welcoming and tolerant of linguistic complexity, for the sake of coherency and professionalism, as long as it is not completely undue. If you are explaining a concept to a pupil, use a common vocabulary, regardless of your self-imposed linguistic criteria. However, if you are simply starting a discussion, as long as the language is understandable, I do not see an issue. Make it natural, of course, but you can speak in proper sentences and be grammatically correct.

Now, is there any social stigma to formality and linguistic complexity in the forums? Sometimes, one writes as they think and it may come off as being perhaps a show of grandeur, when in fact it is merely a written encoding or representation of their thought process, resulting from literary conditioning.

What do you expect from these forums when people are here like 12-14

English is not even my native language do how the hell do you expect me to understand this

I don't understand.

What's not to understand?

Being able to understand what people are saying >>> getting a A in your forums exam.

Believe it or not not everyone is first language english, not everyone understands enough english to write formally and not everyone can be arsed overcomplicating their language.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I simply wanted to see what the community would think and perhaps I do. However, rest assured that I am not using a thesaurus. This is mostly a general discussion, but it also specifically applies to the moderation of my own writing.

hEdPUiMW.jpeg

For those who cba to read through it: he's saying that while he knows using big words as he's doing might prove to deteriorate his public image as well as make it harder for us lowly peasants to understand him, he believes his linguistic expertise should be socially accepted especially on this kind of forums.

Honestly, OP, I don't know what you expect us to reply with. Your desire itself comes in contradiction with your post. By using complex vocabulary and "big words" as one might say you're giving yourself a public image very different to the prominent one here, people are bound to feel their social identity rivaled.

This thread holds absolutely no purpose.

• Administrators

You can write however you want, no-one is going to care how you format your topic, they will just reply to the content. Unless of course you make an entire thread about how to format your forum posts... then you just come across as a pretentious arse.

You can write however you want, no-one is going to care how you format your topic, they will just reply to the content. Unless of course you make an entire thread about how to format your forum posts... then you just come across as a pretentious arse.

Well, you partially misunderstand. This is not specifically about the moderation of my writing, this is more generally about the informality of forum discussion and the degree of tolerance which it must meet. Formatting a thread is quite simple, this goes further than that.

I remember years ago I was obsessed with grammar and being correct and basically being pretentious as hell.

At some point I realized this wasn't pleasant for me or anyone conversing with me, so I just said "fuck it." As long as I'm understood and the air is pleasant, I can talk all kinds of good.

• Administrators

Well, you partially misunderstand. This is not specifically about the moderation of my writing, this is more generally about the informality of forum discussion and the degree of tolerance which it must meet. Formatting a thread is quite simple, this goes further than that.

It was an easy way to sum up your lengthy post, the point I made remains the same...

using longer words =/= clarity =/= necessity.  the fact that you know more complex words does not mean that you have the prerogative to use them for the sake of it.

This topic comes after a lengthy discussion I had with the OP about the subject. My points were that the colloquial use of complex and uncommon terms like he is prone to is detrimental to his reputation and the conveyance of his point. By using so many words that the layman would not know, he effectively obscures his point.

Something I remember which I like is Polar's signature, "Verbosity obfuscates."

At some point, it becomes impossible to differentiate between child-with-thesaurus speech and well thought out and intelligently written discussion. You crossed that event horizon for sure.

Just try to remember that the forums aren't NASA, and you're only making it more difficult for your audience to understand you when you speak the way you do. Try to remember to use the right tool for the job, if that makes sense.

• Administrators

Agree with angel somewhat, though I don't think it's restricted to casual venues such as internet forums. People make the same mistake in academic writing - needlessly wordy, because they think it makes them sound smarter or something. The purpose of writing anything, in any context, is to convey your point to your reader. If subject-specific jargon, for example, aids you in that, then it's appropriate to use it. If it simply confuses your reader, then it's pointless.

Being able to write well is being able to write for your audience, not just knowing big words.

The title is quite odd in such a forum, even if it is serious. However, the concept is very simple and perhaps even self-explanatory.

In forums such as this, the expectations for language complexity are quite low and perhaps even rigidly so. Not only are the expectations low, but the expectations themselves are expected to be low for the reason that this is not a forum for scientific debate, but for discussion gravitating around a focus point of shared or mutual interest. Now, excessively verbose language can be not only detrimental for understanding, but also possibly for your image and credibility. If you sound like a child using a thesaurus, that will inevitable tarnish what others may think of you and perhaps annoy others also.

Now, is there any social stigma to formality and linguistic complexity in the forums? Sometimes, one writes as they think and it may come off as being perhaps a show of grandeur, when in fact it is merely a written encoding or representation of their thought process, resulting from literary conditioning.

One thing matters if you want to make your point across. MAKE your point across. If you speak in a matter that leaves it open for interpretation, you WILL have different responses, each response filling every hole that is created by your vague statement. its especially good if you want to start something controversial because you will get attention from it.

However if you speak in a matter of clarity that cannot be misinterpreted and it makes your point across, then you have a proper conversation.

This is not a forum that its main forte is its linguistics, its a forum about our activity on valves products with an open market, which includes cs go, dota and tf2. If you ever see an ignorant statement, an artificially loaded statement,  a stupid remark or other obscure things in terms of grammatical accuracy on this forum .. then there really shouldn't be any surprise from that considering what the forum is about.

Agree with angel somewhat, though I don't think it's restricted to casual venues such as internet forums. People make the same mistake in academic writing - needlessly wordy, because they think it makes them sound smarter or something. The purpose of writing anything, in any context, is to convey your point to your reader. If subject-specific jargon, for example, aids you in that, then it's appropriate to use it. If it simply confuses your reader, then it's pointless.

Being able to write well is being able to write for your audience, not just knowing big words.

Big words, however, are audience specific. As another forum user defined, quite a few of us are considerably younger than you and I are (12 - 14, compared to someone in high school or entering university and beyond). This language was not incomprehensible, although it may have been written more verbosely than it needed to be. The idea was clearly expressed. One difficulty might have stemmed from the length of the thread itself, as most are quite short. On the other hand, with other more academic forums I have been to, this complexity of language was more or less common

• Administrators

Big words, however, are audience specific. As another forum user defined, quite a few of us are considerably younger than you and I are (12 - 14, compared to someone in high school or entering university and beyond). This language was not incomprehensible, although it may have been written more verbosely than it needed to be. The idea was clearly expressed. One difficulty might have stemmed from the length of the thread itself, as most are quite short. On the other hand, with other more academic forums I have been to, this complexity of language was more or less common

You said it yourself, it was written more verbosely than it needed to be. For what purpose? To make yourself sound smart? Lol. Why do you care? Use of language, regional dialect, subject-specific jargon, etc.... none of these things relate to your intelligence.

I'm actually the opposite to what you post, kinda as bob said. When I was a 15 year old online, I was super bothered about how I came across and used perfect grammar all the time, put a lot of thought into the way I phrased things, etc, etc. I don't give a shit now. I'm not writing an essay or a job application, I'm having a conversation with some people online. Either the conversation is casual in nature or if it's serious, I can get my point across much better by just typing in an easy to understand manner.

What's the point of conversation to you? If it's to make your ideas understood by others, why over complicate your delivery? Who are you trying to impress? Half the people won't follow what you're on about, and the other half will think you're a pretentious twat, haha. Maybe one person in your audience will both follow and agree.

It took me 3 or 4 reads to understand what you were trying to say.

Many others would have understood almost at once. As I was trying to explain, "big words" have different meanings to different audiences. It is not always possible to appeal to the lowest common denominator (i.e. lowest age-groups and non-English forum users) without sacrificing the intent of what you are saying.

It is not always possible to appeal to the lowest common denominator (i.e. lowest age-groups and non-English forum users) without sacrificing the intent of what you are saying.

Because english wasn't my first language doesn't make me inferior to you. You  can't go onto a internet forum about hats in a video game played all over the world and expect everyone to be first language english.

Archived