Chimera

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should long be unbanned?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im still boycotting (other than a few here and there) until brad moves off $USD so when that stops, ill jump in again.

When i made the initial jump from normal suggestions to more unusuals i got annoyed at how my ranges got screwed 2 weeks later and returned to normal suggestions only for a while (not like i did alot of unusuals tho) but because it doesnt seem like brad will fix it soon and i kept seeing people making bad deals based on bp's over inflated values i started again xD

Due to the many suggestors who are boycotting or have been discouraged from unusual suggestions due to the usd storage many many unusuals now havent been priced and or havent been updated for ages making the situation worse imo.

I dont think brad wants or thinks overhauling unusuals is the way to go. Seems like an especially tedious job and i think he belives usd is a better system. 

It make sense but when buds and keys arent constantly correct with paypal cost at the time of the suggestion then things get wonky. 

Im still boycotting (other than a few here and there) until brad moves off $USD so when that stops, ill jump in again.

And no, he can stay banned. http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/3206-this-site-looks-like-its-going-through-one-wild-ride-what-can-i-do/&do=findComment&comment=47140

He should stay banned because he posted "wasup" on a "price manipulation" thread where OP mentioned Long?

Doesn't seem like a good reason.

He should stay banned because he posted "wasup" on a "price manipulation" thread where OP mentioned Long?

Eh, it was a misinterpreted humor most likely. Long seems to be like the "class clown"

To clarify some of the speculation. When I had  banned him, it indeed was not meant to be a permanent ban. His bans at my hand have been increasing in length step by step. The previous time I'd banned him for trolling had been for 1 month, so the latest time was for 2 months.

To clarify some of the speculation. When I had  banned him, it indeed was not meant to be a permanent ban. His bans at my hand have been increasing in length step by step. The previous time I'd banned him for trolling had been for 1 month, so the latest time was for 2 months.

Thank you for the clarification. Now I know it wasn't intended to be a permanent ban. It just adds a new question though: Why did Chief ultimately ban him again?

I saw that he was back just now.  I even wanted to make this poll.  I voted for unbanning him.  His key suggestion was not completely a troll (more of way to signal his return) and outpost is in transition because of its fee structure and uncertain future.  Simply put, he may not have been ready to make such a suggestion.  When he is active he is incredibly prolific and maybe he will take requests or focus on difficult items that are in heavy uncertainty (hint).

I see that, and that just looks like bias. There has to be a different reason, or that's just bad.

If the mods want to ban him for good they sorta need to give the right reason to or else it just seems like a biased abuse of power.

Ie mods wait for him to actuallt screw up and long needs to tread bloody carefully to not give them a reason

Edit: also cleared up that vincent clearly did not intend for long's ban to be a permanent one

Eh, it was a misinterpreted humor most likely. Long seems to be like the "class clown"

That doesn't give him an excuse to act as such.

His first post after becoming unbanned was a useless spam. A necro on a thread about bp.tf "manipulation" and "corruption". It is clear that he did it to incite a reaction out of the community in a "trolling" manner. That shows that he has not matured enough to come back into the community.

I am appalled at the amount of people who are on long's side and want to give him "another chance". He has already far exhausted all his chances. He is at his core a pompous, immature clown who likes nothing more than being the center of attention by creating tension among other users and with authority. He has no place here at backpack.tf, and I and chief D will give him absolutely no mercy the moment he even slightly steps out of line.

If it wasn't the key suggestion or his forum spam, It wouldn't have been days before he did or said something else out of line that would warrant another ban. I guarantee it.

His first post after becoming unbanned was a useless spam. A necro on a thread about bp.tf "manipulation" and "corruption". It is clear that he did it to incite a reaction out of the community in a "trolling" manner. That shows that he has not matured enough to come back into the community.

I am appalled at the amount of people who are on long's side and want to give him "another chance". He has already far exhausted all his chances. He is at his core a pompous, immature clown who likes nothing more than being the center of attention by creating tension among other users and with authority. He has no place here at backpack.tf, and I and chief D will give him absolutely no mercy the moment he even slightly steps out of line.

If it wasn't the key suggestion or his forum spam, It wouldn't have been days before he did or said something else out of line that would warrant another ban. I guarantee it.

It was originally Vincent's decision whether or not to perma ban him. He didn't, he banned Long for 2 months. Nothing Long did today warranted a perma ban. If you think he'll do something else out of line, wait until he does step out of line to ban him.

And no, he can stay banned. http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/3206-this-site-looks-like-its-going-through-one-wild-ride-what-can-i-do/&do=findComment&comment=47140

same here. not doing suggestions since i know the price will be outdated in a few days again.

and i liked when he wasnt here. if he can stay out from keys i dont really mind. but he seems to stalk key market 24/7, taking every single trade at higher than current bp.tf value and ignoring those below. and when he has quite a few links he raises the price. which i believe is unfair, i could do that with most of the items. and i think that is manipulation.

thats like being trade.tf but ignoring all the lower prices

He has no place here at backpack.tf, and I and chief D will give him absolutely no mercy the moment he even slightly steps out of line.If it wasn't the key suggestion or his forum spam, It wouldn't have been days before he did or said something else out of line that would warrant another ban. I guarantee it.

For a top suggester which only just returned back from a 2 month ban and getting another 4 months on top of that from a single post seems harsh no matter how you justify it. Also adding on that he did do legit suggestions as well.

Then wait for him to step out of line since atm there isnt a justified reason for the 4 month ban not to mention that most of the community see this as a unjust ban and are standing on his side atm. When and if he does step out of line then you can ban him and most of us will have no conplains.

Yeah, long need more links on the key suggestion, but there where none because keys ate still not sold much at 6.11, bp.tf biblists errywhere

I doubt long cares that he is banned again he really do such things if he did. If I absorbed that horrendously large amount of hate the mods and #STK people gave him I wouldn't care about improving prices either.

He was a nice and funny guy. 

Its true he would look bad in key suggestions, but the other users would attack him and the site were even worse then he was.

I guess he in the end got fed up and was like you know what? Im not controlling traders and key prices but i will stay on top of keys and make sure to beat others to updating it just to show all you how high keys will get. 

He used a lot of his time updating prices and has far more rep then any other user even though he had been absent for half a year. Does that outway his wrong doings depends, if he insulted users that isnt very good representation of the site as he was top contributor and should behave as a 'role model' (i know other users here do 'troll' suggestions from time to time. Baloo and the ring is the recent one i recall)

Disliking a user personally isnt not very good of a moderator to say if followed by saying because of that dislike youll be strict with them, because no matter how much you dislike someone i believe being professional and impartial is the way to be. 

I know i dont know every rule he has broken and mods are the ones who do and its their call. 

But i dont even think he really wants to be back and cares about tf2 trading. And this long drama is pointless. 

When brad gets on that, ERASER and doctor will come back  :D

I am actually doc's sub. I'll help to ask him to rejoin the backpack.tf community

Does it seem like bias that most of the admins hate long? I believe so.

Let's analyze the mods and their actions.

Vincent has been reasonable by increasing his ban time with each screw up. So props to him for not being biased.

Chief absolutely seethes when he sees longs name.

Jon, let's not forget this fiasco shall we?

Some backstory: I created a key suggestion for long after it was closed by Vincent for long violating his "No Key Suggestions Warning" I used his proof with his permission.

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/51746295ba2536a535000003

Hatch, at the time made a suggestion for keys at the same time as well.

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/51744313ba25364126000001

And heres what jon said when he accepted the suggestion for hatch's for all you lazy scrollers:

tf2finance has been at 4.77 for over 5 days now and is just now reaching 4.88.

It is obvious that 4.66 should be the low end from finance and buyer trades, and arguably 4.66-4.88 would be our better choice but I would like to refrain from anything associated with long218

So is this a biased ban? I believe so.

Long should just appeal and work out everything so we can see if he's mature enough to own up to his mistakes.

Did that as well before I came back. Then I saw polar bear "enforcing" to use original prices and that fixes most of the issues for suggestions itself. It looks awkward for outsiders though and may hurt our reputation though.

He made that post after he was banned from the website though. I agree that it is a real immature thing but maybe he thought all hope was gone already.

He should be banned from key suggestions forever alone for the shitstorm he creates and his past comments there.

Imo he doesn't deserve a perma-ban, but maybe I'm still biased due our friendship many months ago (it kinda broke up after he started doing everything for profit, ignoring my warnings).

Long is probably trolling whenever he gets back because he is 100% sure that he will be re-banned due to like (excuse my language) un-professional acts by the mods ? However, every man does mistakes, and while he knows that he will get banned everytime his ban expires then why the hell should he not troll ? i mean, that is what i would do if i was in his position. Why not some of the mods actually try and talk to him, maybe (MAYBE) he can explain his acts, sure, he trolls alot, he hurts alot of people, but isn't a 4 month ban for saying "wasup" on the forums is kinda harsh ? I mean c'mon, who doesn't troll on the forums ? While his ban might be a bit deserved, but i think he can be given some time on the site/forums and someone talking to him explaining his actions.

#LongLiveLong

He should be unbanned. He's had his bad times in the past. Doesn't mean we can't show him a little bit of mercy. He's received so much hate (part of it from me). This time he did nothing that deserved another ban. Maybe a warning. But no 4 month ban

Archived