IQ Testing in Relationship to Real-World Achievement

ℕ Hilbert-WARing Theorem™

IQ tests measure your ability to perform specific reasoning tasks, which is something you absolutely are taught to some degree if you are brought up in certain cultures and absolutely can improve with practice.

(Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it's incoherent.)

You do not get taught IQ. Well, you aren't supposed to be able to learn IQ. With practice, it can improve, though.

Look to your writing ability for improvement, not my reading comprehension :)

You do not get taught IQ. Well, you aren't supposed to be able to learn IQ. With practice, it can improve, though.

those posts weren't incoherent whatsoever, there's no need to get uppity because you didn't follow a point that had already been made in the thread when it was explained to you again. you're literally just repeating a fallacy that IQ tests can't be learned and practiced and improved and ignoring explanations to the contrary. IQ isn't 'supposed' to be able to be learned as you state; yet you also acknowledge that it can be improved. improvement happens through learning.

also angel i would suggest that those nothing-to-something real life stories mainly require luck rather than anything else because i've never heard of one which didn't rely directly on luck and opportunities coming their way that other equally dedicated, motivated and intelligent people didn't get for whatever reason.

also in general i think IQ and academic intelligence is not an all-encompassing measure or indicator for success. emotional intelligence, subconscious understanding of situations, awareness, being open to learning; all of these things make as much or greater difference, in my view.

those posts weren't incoherent whatsoever, there's no need to get uppity because you didn't follow a point that had already been made in the thread when it was explained to you again. you're literally just repeating a fallacy that IQ tests can't be learned and practiced and improved and ignoring explanations to the contrary. IQ isn't 'supposed' to be able to be learned as you state; yet you also acknowledge that it can be improved. improvement happens through learning.

If you find that kind of explination sufficent, you do you, I'm past it. I definitely agree IQ tests can be improved upon with practice, even though they aren't supposed to be. I agree improvement happens with learning. However, it is fallacy toimply "culture" has a large-scale effect with IQ. I would argue that there is a point where one "peaks" on his scores, and, no matter how much practice he puts in, doesn't get any higher of a score. Is that his IQ? Yes. Does that number accurately define his intelligence? Not really.

also in general i think IQ and academic intelligence is not an all-encompassing measure or indicator for success. emotional intelligence, subconscious understanding of situations, awareness, being open to learning; all of these things make as much or greater difference, in my view.

I agree 100%. 

If you find that kind of explination sufficent, you do you, I'm past it. I definitely agree IQ tests can be improved upon with practice, even though they aren't supposed to be. I agree improvement happens with learning. However, it is fallacy toimply "culture" has a large-scale effect with IQ. I would argue that there is a point where one "peaks" on his scores, and, no matter how much practice he puts in, doesn't get any higher of a score. Is that his IQ? Yes. Does that number accurately define his intelligence? Not really.

I agree 100%. 

i may be misremembering the exact details but i watched a documentary that showed that a particular australian aboriginal culture does not really concern itself with numbers above 2. they have 0, 1, 2, and many. there's interesting and valid reasons for this to do with their lifestyle, but my point i guess is that is a culture which would absolutely 100% score badly on IQ tests. as tiny said, specific reasoning tasks which are tested with IQ tests are just that: specific. they emerge from a tradition of mathematics and philosophy and psychology which itself is culturally rooted, however much it makes appeals to universality.

• Administrators

You don't literally get taught how to take an IQ test, but you are taught with the same logical reasoning methods in mind if you are brought up in certain cultues. I'm sorry that's too complex a concept for you to comprehend.

You don't literally get taught how to take an IQ test, but you are taught with the same logical reasoning methods in mind if you are brought up in certain cultues. I'm sorry that's too complex a concept for you to comprehend.

:wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko: Citation needed. I'm sorry you have to resort to jabs on other people to argue. :lol:

i may be misremembering the exact details but i watched a documentary that showed that a particular australian aboriginal culture does not really concern itself with numbers above 2. they have 0, 1, 2, and many. there's interesting and valid reasons for this to do with their lifestyle, but my point i guess is that is a culture which would absolutely 100% score badly on IQ tests. as tiny said, specific reasoning tasks which are tested with IQ tests are just that: specific. they emerge from a tradition of mathematics and philosophy and psychology which itself is culturally rooted, however much it makes appeals to universality.

I don't disagree. I have some relation to the Walpiri people, who used the "one, two, many" system. I'm not sure if it's been phased out. There will definitly be bias in most of these tests, english-language included. The bias in these tests is in these tests, not the concept of IQ itself. There are tests I've taken composed fully of a 3 by 3 grid of pictures with the bottom right piece missing, which you pick from a group to complete the pattern. Would a Walpiri do worse on these tests? Possibly, but not significantly.

• Administrators

:wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko: Citation needed. I'm sorry you have to resort to jabs on other people to argue. :lol:

Lol dude you're the one who called my perfectly clear and logical post incoherent. Troll confirmed.

"The concept of IQ" is... score on IQ tests. That's literally all it means. It's your score on a standardised test attempting to measure human intelligence. You just admitted that there will be bias in these tests, and if the tests are biased, then IQ is a biased metric because that is all it is measuring. It doesn't mean anything. Lol.

Archived