[Question] Avoiding chargeback scams?

Doctor Roflcopter

Let's say you're selling an unusual for 100$ in Paypal money and you're using a Paypal account without a bank card linked to it (basically, an unverified account). You find a guy willing to go first and the trade goes through no problem. You then send the 100$ you recieved into a second unverified Paypal account. The buyer then tries to chargeback a week later. What would happen? Since your account was unverified, they can't pressure the bank into making you pay. Maybe I'm just being dumb since I don't know a lot about Paypal...

If the chargeback goes through, the paypal account would go into negative balance. Meaning if you want to use it again you have to pay the balance on top of whatever you're paying for. Not sure what would happen with the second account though.

Chargeback can still occur in situations like this. You'd just have a negative balance in the second account, if it doesn't have any credit already.

But you would be able to completely avoid the chargeback and still keep the money if you just ditch the first account.

But you would be able to completely avoid the chargeback and still keep the money if you just ditch the first account.

Until paypal sends your account to collections and sics debt collectors on you.

I had always wondered about this. I think paypal's become far more willing to decline payment disputes lately more than ever, for virtual item trading. It used to be impossible to win a case, but paypal now recognizes our type of trading. I think if you just take screenshots of everything, and are very careful, you'll be fine. Just remember, don't trade with people with low rep at all. If you do want to transfer the money over, and let the account go into negative balance, be prepared for whatever legal issues that may cause. 

I had always wondered about this. I think paypal's become far more willing to decline payment disputes lately more than ever, for virtual item trading. It used to be impossible to win a case, but paypal now recognizes our type of trading. I think if you just take screenshots of everything, and are very careful, you'll be fine. Just remember, don't trade with people with low rep at all. If you do want to transfer the money over, and let the account go into negative balance, be prepared for whatever legal issues that may cause. 

lol, u dont bs k, i lost 400$ 1 month ago, i gave to paypal all kind of proofs. And they refunded my money to scammer anyways. Cuz paypal is da best company for buyer side

lol, u dont bs k, i lost 400$ 1 month ago, i gave to paypal all kind of proofs. And they refunded my money to scammer anyways. Cuz paypal is da best company for buyer side

Sorry to hear that. I didn't say it worked every time, but you're better off being safe and saving the chats either way. A chance is better than certain loss.

Wait a minute, they refunded your money to the scammer?  So was it a chargeback?

If you transfer funds from one account to another to avoid chargeback and no1 gets chargebacked, they then limit the 2nd aswell, until you verify it. like ID or stuff. Basically if your lucky, you can unfreeze the main with verification, and ditch the 1st one, as they cant prove its owned by the same person if you dont verify the account which got chargebacked.

if the buyer sends money as gift no chargeback is possible. It really depends how he sends it.

sike. Gift to family/friends can be charged back.

sike. Gift to family/friends can be charged back.

I was scammed about 8$ and i could not make a chargeback.

I mailed PayPal about the transaction but they could do nothing because the money was sent as gift.

Archived