Family might be starting a steam Cafe. Need opinions.

Alex From Security

Computer options  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How should the computers be handled?

• Separate computers each with their own case and on the desk.
    • Central rack with components on it. Cable extenders to the rack.
    • Other. (Explain in comments)

Couple questions that some people might be able to help with via their opinions n whatnot.

Answer in the poll pls. 

cute_kawaii_smiley_childs_dish_yellow_pl

I dont want to break the bank giving each computer GTX780s lawl but I was thinking 14 AMDs and 14Nvidias and then 1 god computer.

Uncle wants to retire from being a powleeceman. Asks me what a cybercafe would be like. Told him expensive to start. Worth it in the end.

I didnt know places like this exist or would exist

Steam seems to have a cafe program. Check out the places around you that participate with the program and learn from the owners. If you're going to do it make sure you're ready for everything

Separate computers, a lot of people like to have their own privacy.

Then again, your area might be different. Here in NY, privacy is everything. There are walls that separate computers and everything.

Breakingbad is finally over ;_;

Aparty from that it seems more convenient to do the cases idea.

I have $20k to play with in terms of computers/peripherals

I still don't understand how these places exist....who wants to leave their home to play a game :/ 

In the words of my uncle.

To reap the souls and wallets of poor college kids.

Mainly people that only play console to play PC that think to have a good gaming pc, you need to spend $2k on it.

My specs are somewhat as follows. Giving each computer a $300 budget on peripherals I want to keep it $1500 max each PC.

Case - Something flashy or just an Obsidian900D with some Cathode lights.
CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  
Memory:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory 
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk 
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card

My specs are somewhat as follows. Giving each computer a $300 budget on peripherals I want to keep it $1500 max each PC.

feel free to send one my way (w/ a gtx770 plz)

I wouldn't spend the money on ssds though, theres no need for it, you're better off getting an hdd and have the storage space (keep in mind you'll need to have a lot of games installed)

In the words of my uncle.

To reap the souls and wallets of poor college kids.

Mainly people that only play console to play PC that think to have a good gaming pc, you need to spend $2k on it.

Do you really need to go that high if your clients are just there to experience PC gaming?

Heres a build that should do it all.

Prices from Newegg.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 (200) 

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H (80)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (35)

Memory: G-Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB 1600 MHz) (72)

Chassis: IDK anything will do as long as it has a front intake, and a rear outtake preinstalled. You're gonna want dust filters seeing as you won't really be maintaining them often.

PSU: This thing (60)

GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 1GB DDR5  (Good enough, free games as well. Hell, might as well downgrade the PSU seeing as this thing uses so little power) (105)

HDD: This thing (70) (Don't use an SSD just yet. Windows 8 boots up stupidly fast anyway. Performance is already mind-boggling for a console gamer)

I can add to this list later.

id go all out on graphics card and processor and keeping the rest crap. have the computers hidden away but still close to the user. like in a locked cabinet you cant see into.

why? its cheap, no need for future update in a long time. people coming there would like to play the newest games. not games that came out 2 years ago just because the graphicscard is so slow.

you have to want people come. using a shitty graphicscard isnt gonna do that. most gamers have better graphicscards than that today.

No sdd and I'm sure mid sized towers will be enough.

Make it run metro last light at atleast 60 fps (at max settings in the smoke scenes) and it'll run anything you throw at it.

Remember you need to invest in good monitors keyboards and mice

And headsets.

And good chairs. <-----------------

I still don't understand how these places exist....who wants to leave their home to play a game :/

Not everybody has a gaming pc. Soooo many Asians play in places like the one Alex wants to build up.

However I've never seen or heard of people using them in Western Europe. I don't know about the States. If there's demand for it

there might be monehz in it

Not everybody has a gaming pc. Soooo many Asians play in places like the one Alex wants to build up.

However I've never seen or heard of people using them in Western Europe. I don't know about the States. If there's demand for it

there might be monehz in it

When I was at university there was a cafe like that in town. It pulled in alright business for a bit, but it closed it's doors relatively fast. A similar market does exist in the States for bars and pubs that have gaming available, but the PC gaming cafe has a bit of a niche market. Not to say it's a bad idea, but they aren't nearly as common stateside as say, the Philippines. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All you need is a case like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146102 and an LED strip in it like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811994051. Cheaper than the 900D and will probably look good.

Archived