Add Cool-Down To Buds / Change All Unusuals To Keys

Vince

All of this really goes back to the question of how much of an effect backpack prices have on actual sales. For example, the airborne kills part is still outdated and low; myself and others were making large profits off of them far beyond the backpack price. However, it can't be denied that many bud sellers have decided to take less in light of the recent drops. It's difficult to ascertain if they are dropping their prices because of backpack or if backpack is simply reporting the trends. 

Which is why i think there should be at least a day cool down for buds to differentiate between those which are dropping due to bp.tf's influence or if it is actually dropping. You can't deny that when traders see a bright red arrow on their items every day wont make them panic and try to sell it off quickly.

The b.m.o.c. price is pure speculation. It is just as likely people read our thread on them or realized independantly that there was too hoarded to actually have a real price hike.

Yes it was speculation but bp raising it's price every 12 hours definitely did help with driving up it's price.

I for one didnt care about the bmoc but when every day i saw a suggestion on bp seeing the bmoc rise by a few keys it did end up sucking me into the hype even though i knew it was going to drop like a rock. At a point in time it became bp dragging up the prices of the bmoc (showing others buying for high prices) and only stopped because me and a few others countered suggestions to hell (they were 20 pages of proofs not too hard) which stopped people thinking that it was going to still rise

I was even telling clever and KMDee that my counter on batman's suggestion (the current suggestion raising the bmoc) is going to make the market crash and it did the very next day

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nature of an items demand will always be reflected. The fear behind the bud is that everyone understands its price is not reflective of the desire for it as a misc item but as an accepted currency. If the bud does lose some favor (like the bills did) there is no idea what price it can end up at. You have to let the panic sell off help the market find the point where either people want the item or speculators feel safe. This is why I was in favor of Brad's choice of pegging unusuals to the dollar. If they had been pegged to buds many people would loose out right now. You don't hear from them now but you will when the bud rises again. I am sure the likes of Jester will go through and resuggest in the future based on offers from now like he did before.

Which is why i think there should be at least a day cool down for buds to differentiate between those which are dropping due to bp.tf's influence or if it is actually dropping. You can't deny that when traders see a bright red arrow on their items every day wont make them panic and try to sell it off quickly.

Yes it was speculation but bp raising it's price every 12 hours definitely did help with driving up it's price.

I for one didnt care about the bmoc but when every day i saw a suggestion on bp seeing the bmoc rise by a few keys it did end up sucking me into the hype even though i knew it was going to drop like a rock. At a point in time it became bp dragging up the prices of the bmoc (showing others buying for high prices) and only stopped because me and a few others countered suggestions to hell (they were 20 pages of proofs not too hard) which stopped people thinking that it was going to still rise

I was even telling clever and KMDee that my counter on batman's suggestion (the current suggestion raising the bmoc) is going to make the market crash and it did the very next day

Backpack.tf is an influence and IS the market value. It is what people sell it at.

why we should give a safety zone to buds?

the site reflect the trends and if buds are dropping fast that must be reflected as accurate as possible.

Because bp.tf is leading the buds drop and not following it.

Check trade.tf. bptf is not leading. We lead key price tho.

But still, adding a cool down would prevent it from dropping faster. More people are willing to pay the bp price, so if we drop it super fast, it could crash the market, dropping it slower could keep buds from going so low

Despite being new here: +1

(Not that my opinion counts)

People are friendly here, no need to be scared cuz you're new. Just so long as you don't spam or have a chip on your shoulder.

A general cooldown might not be a bad idea either (i.e. any item that has 2 accepted suggestions within a certain period is put on cooldown for a certain period--unless of course something has changed to warrant constant changes--sale on the mann co. store). 

A general cooldown might not be a bad idea either (i.e. any item that has 2 accepted suggestions within a certain period is put on cooldown for a certain period--unless of course something has changed to warrant constant changes--sale on the mann co. store).

Agreed, that was the point of the suggestion

But still, adding a cool down would prevent it from dropping faster. More people are willing to pay the bp price, so if we drop it super fast, it could crash the market, dropping it slower could keep buds from going so low

The trouble is the trade.tf good deals section.  Too easy to find best price and any one buying at 20 is unwise and not paying attention.  Any bud below list will go first and if there isn't enough demand others will drop their price.  The good deals section eliminates any benefit from a cool down for an item like buds.  The B.M.O.C. has different dynamics for its demand.  Buyers expect buds to drop and will no longer have that expectation when there are few in good deals.

http://www.trade.tf/price/143/6

Right now 456 listed as fair deals and many at 19 and below 19 can be found but sell fast.  We should not even have 20 in the range for how many are at 19.

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/14752671 - Interesting strategy

Check trade.tf. bptf is not leading. We lead key price tho.

Well for the buds, bp.tf might not be leading, for the bmoc and fireproof diary, I have the feeling it was bubbles (positive for the bmoc, negative for the fireproof) generated by the rapid rate of suggestions. The Fireproof diary is particularly mind boggling since I recently looked at my price and wondered why it was so different from bp.tf, then looked at what happened on bp.tf to realize that many suggestions were accepted at a rapid rate (for an item that trades at very low frequency), with basically 7-8 proof links, it affected 650 owners. In trade.tf algorithms these were treated as outliers, e.g. the volume so far hasn't been sufficient to tip the balance of the median (it's also a measure to protect from price manipulation).

I made the decision not to use arrows on trade.tf spreadsheet because the vast majority misunderstands arrows, e.g. they think arrows predict the future while they only measure the past. This misunderstanding often results in panic sales or buys, with the effects that everyone can witness.

For the particular topic of buds, I suspect people might be anticipating Halloween's mass uncrating and may be selling their buds to get keys before october 26. Here there's a trend, I don't think it has anything to do with good deals.

I wouldn't be surprised if buds fell as low as 16 keys by November 1st.

Well for the buds, bp.tf might not be leading, for the bmoc and fireproof diary, I have the feeling it was bubbles (positive for the bmoc, negative for the fireproof) generated by the rapid rate of suggestions. The Fireproof diary is particularly mind boggling since I recently looked at my price and wondered why it was so different from bp.tf, then looked at what happened on bp.tf to realize that many suggestions were accepted at a rapid rate (for an item that trades at very low frequency), with basically 7-8 proof links, it affected 650 owners. In trade.tf algorithms these were treated as outliers, e.g. the volume so far hasn't been sufficient to tip the balance of the median (it's also a measure to protect from price manipulation).

I made the decision not to use arrows on trade.tf spreadsheet because the vast majority misunderstands arrows, e.g. they think arrows predict the future while they only measure the past. This misunderstanding often results in panic sales or buys, with the effects that everyone can witness.

For the particular topic of buds, I suspect people might be anticipating Halloween's mass uncrating and may be selling their buds to get keys before october 26. Here there's a trend, I don't think it has anything to do with good deals.

I wouldn't be surprised if buds fell as low as 16 keys by November 1st.

+1 

Btw, you should find a way to exclude shark-begging trades from the trade tracker (i.e. anyone whos asking for like 20 keys on a 13 bud unusual shouldn't show up--yes i'm referencing the burning beak that was sold for 20 keys). 

+1 

Btw, you should find a way to exclude shark-begging trades from the trade tracker (i.e. anyone whos asking for like 20 keys on a 13 bud unusual shouldn't show up--yes i'm referencing the burning beak that was sold for 20 keys). 

For the shark thing, let's discuss that either in chat (add me :P) or in trade.tf forums, I don't want to hijack this thread.

+1 

but I wanna shark!

The problem with a cool down on a big item like buds, the way I see it, is that people may be concerned that the price kept moving while we were not pricing it.  I don't think people are effected that much by the arrow as it is not in their pack.  The main page display of change contributes more to panic than rapid suggestions.

The problem with a cool down on a big item like buds, the way I see it, is that people may be concerned that the price kept moving while we were not pricing it.  I don't think people are effected that much by the arrow as it is not in their pack.  The main page display of change contributes more to panic than rapid suggestions.

Last accepted bud suggestion was a day ago and already

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/524ef96a4dd7b8fe578b4568

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/524f69904dd7b8876e8b4568

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/524fde9e4cd7b8ce388b456b

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/5250197a4dd7b8a61f8b4568

suggestions which attempted to bring it down already, all with "proof" which basically contains most of the people getting scared from the recent drop.

Last accepted bud suggestion was a day ago and already

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/524ef96a4dd7b8fe578b4568

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/524f69904dd7b8876e8b4568

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/524fde9e4cd7b8ce388b456b

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/5250197a4dd7b8a61f8b4568

suggestions which attempted to bring it down already, all with "proof" which basically contains most of the people getting scared from the recent drop.

Its ok tho, eventually speculators will start picking them up betting on them rising.

Its ok tho, eventually speculators will start picking them up betting on them rising.

But then you'll have currency fluctuating every few weeks...

I also agree unusuals should be priced in keys, same goes for all expensive items.

Buds just aren't steady enough to be used as a currency!

The moment buds are removed as the main thing for pricing high tier items on this site is the moment buds are dead as a currency. I rather not see the site lead the market in such a way.

Earbuds is a pointless currency..really screws up the unusual market.

Each time a bud goes down by a key, the unusual seller has to bump up their price.

The Burning Team Captain used to be 128 buds..now with the changes it bumped to 157.

Maybe we should price everything by keys and Max Heads :)

Archived