steam wants my social security #...

Will Banks

I know why they want it, cause it's the law. But I like to trade so the market is a big part of my trading. Steam wants my SSN, and I trust them but what if someone hacked into them and got all the SSN of the people who gave it to them? Is that even possible?

I just don't want to because I want to be safe and that there are hackers out there. 

So basically my question is: is my SSN truly safe if I give it to them?

• Administrators

What would a hacker even do with your social security number? Isn't that just like for your pension and stuff?

(Not American, just curious...)

What would a hacker even do with your social security number? Isn't that just like for your pension and stuff?

More or less take over your life.

What can't they do is the real question.

yes its safe, there 0 way unless you downloaded "LMAOBOX Cracked [WORKING 2015]" and got a keylogger that any haxor could get your ssn

Call me uber-paranoid, but I would never give my social to anyone unless I absolutely have to (to get a passport, take a loan from a bank, etc). Would certainly not send it to Valve. Your social stays with you for the rest of your life. You can't predict what technology will be like 20 years from now, much less 50 years from now or where Valve will be as a company. The fewer people that have your SSN, the better off you are.

Call me uber-paranoid, but I would never give my social to anyone unless I absolutely have to (to get a passport, take a loan from a bank, etc). Would certainly not send it to Valve. Your social stays with you for the rest of your life. You can't predict what technology will be like 20 years from now, much less 50 years from now or where Valve will be as a company. The fewer people that have your SSN, the better off you are.

valves going to steal your identity

valves going to steal your identity

Wise-cracks like these that add no content in a serious thread are what got you banned in the first place. It's only funny when you don't know of people irl who had their identities stolen. Maybe when you grow up and start actually needing your SSN you'll understand.

I know of people who applied for a credit card for the first time in their life and couldn't get one because they didn't even know their SSN was compromised.

So every american has an individual number that can destroy their lives if the wrong person finds it?

Not to act like a superior European, but isn't that just a little bit dangerous?

So every american has an individual number that can destroy their lives if the wrong person finds it?

Not to act like a superior European, but isn't that just a little bit dangerous?

yeah its pretty scary. the only place it is safe is in your mind. if anyone has it, they can create credit cards under your name, and buy buy buy to no limit. ruining your life. 

im pretety sure its to verify youre a US resident and it's required for a credit card.

You can change your SSN, but, like dealing with anything government related, it's a huge pain in the butt.

And to apply for a job and more. But yea, I rather not be sending it to valve just so I could sell more items. 

• Administrators

More or less take over your life.

Ah. Yes, that doesn't seem like logical information to share if you don't have to.

Will I get a social security number if/when I move to the states then? Or does that depend on whether you're a migrant or an immigrant?

Why am I asking you this? Lol. General question for the thread!

Ah. Yes, that doesn't seem like logical information to share if you don't have to.

Will I get a social security number if/when I move to the states then? Or does that depend on whether you're a migrant or an immigrant?

Why am I asking you this? Lol. General question for the thread!

i think for registration to america you need approval by the gov and to pass a US history test (I think). you do get a social # so people know you're not illegal

• Administrators

That history test is so dumb. I did it with my husband once and he didn't know the answers to most questions (he's american.)

I personally wouldn't, it's just so much easier to make an alt and sell your cards or whatever on that while only selling unusuals or larger items on your main. The risk is large and the reward is minimal, especially since there are easy ways around it. No reason to trust valve with it.

Posted · Hidden by polar, August 13, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by polar, August 13, 2015 - No reason given

Wise-cracks like these that add no content in a serious thread are what got you banned in the first place. It's only funny when you don't know of people irl who had their identities stolen. Maybe when you grow up and start actually needing your SSN you'll understand.

I know of people who applied for a credit card for the first time in their life and couldn't get one because they didn't even know their SSN was compromised.

Bruh calm down he is just joking around and it seems like youre the only one that got offended, certainly not the 3 people who liked the comment  :blink:

Archived