Video Game OSTs

smokedem

Super Meat Boy!

Most of the indie games I've played have amazing soundtracks, but that game had the first one to really jump out at me. Danny Baranowsky is a downright heavenly composer.

Erm, lemme see... Gang Garrison 2, Hotline Miami, Minecraft is OK, Nidhogg, Risk of Rain (this one is excellent, play and listen to this all day kids), Terraria, GTA games (V was mediocre though), TES, that's about it...

I'm a retro gaming kid. Hell, the only relatively new games I play are TF2 and Madden 25. That said, here are my top 3 4 OSTs.

Demon's Crest - This is by far the best soundtrack on a SNES I've ever heard (and when you have OSTs like Final Fantasy III, Super Castlevania IV, Zelda 3, and Yoshi's Island, that's a tough thing to do.) If you've never played this hidden gem for the SNES, the music is what makes the game. It would still be a fine game (albeit batshit hard) without the music, but the melodies and instruments are perfectly matched, and it just brings everything together. Which is hopefully what you want it to do. Favorite Songs: Opening, Cursed Towers, and A Sunken Aqueduct

Blood - Many of you have probably never heard of this masterpiece of a game. It's the only FPS I would put above TF2, and that's really saying something. It was made with the Build engine, which also spawned Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior (which recently got a reboot). While the other two games were basically you killing aliens/monsters/ninjas/naked women with the lead character spewing off one-liners as if they never went out of style, Blood had a story, and a deep one. The music is harrowing, atmospheric, and at times downright fucking scary. Favorite Songs: Father Time and Waiting for the End

Super Mario Galaxy - From a guy who play's old games, this game (and it's sequel) are absolutely fantastic. I'd call it the best one-two punch in gaming history (c'mon, TFC wasn't all that great). The gameplay was fun, the story was the same, it's Mario for crying out loud! ...but the change from mainly MIDI music to orchestral pieces was one that looked bleak before this game came out. SMG1 has it's problems, but the music (Koji Kondo and Mahito Yokota co-composed it) is just about perfect. There is no OST nearly as good as Super Mario Galaxy. Favorite Songs: Bowser's Galaxy Reactor, Good Egg Galaxy, Battlerock Galaxy, Buoy Base Galaxy, there's really too many to put here.

Killer Instinct 2013 - It might be just because I grew up playing the original Killer Instinct on the SNES, but this game is really, really good. And the music is top-notch, and when you add in the fact that the music is actually dynamic, I can't just let this game not be in here. Sorry guys. It's just too freaking cool. Favorite Songs: Jago's Stage, Spinal's Stage, Thunder's Stage, Title Screen

Honorable Mentions:

Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

Silver Surfer (NES)

Gyromite (NES) - fuck you, I love the Title Screen music

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)

Team Fortress 2 (why not!)

I'm a retro gaming kid. Hell, the only relatively new games I play are TF2 and Madden 25. That said, here are my top 3 4 OSTs.

- This is by far the best soundtrack on a SNES I've ever heard (and when you have OSTs like Final Fantasy III, Super Castlevania IV, Zelda 3, and Yoshi's Island, that's a tough thing to do.) If you've never played this hidden gem for the SNES, the music is what makes the game. It would still be a fine game (albeit batshit hard) without the music, but the melodies and instruments are perfectly matched, and it just brings everything together. Which is hopefully what you want it to do. Favorite Songs: Opening, Cursed Towers, and A Sunken Aqueduct

- Many of you have probably never heard of this masterpiece of a game. It's the only FPS I would put above TF2, and that's really saying something. It was made with the Build engine, which also spawned Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior (which recently got a reboot). While the other two games were basically you killing aliens/monsters/ninjas/naked women with the lead character spewing off one-liners as if they never went out of style, Blood had a story, and a deep one. The music is harrowing, atmospheric, and at times downright fucking scary. Favorite Songs: Father Time and Waiting for the End

- From a guy who play's old games, this game (and it's sequel) are absolutely fantastic. I'd call it the best one-two punch in gaming history (c'mon, TFC wasn't all that great). The gameplay was fun, the story was the same, it's Mario for crying out loud! ...but the change from mainly MIDI music to orchestral pieces was one that looked bleak before this game came out. SMG1 has it's problems, but the music (Koji Kondo and Mahito Yokota co-composed it) is just about perfect. There is no OST nearly as good as Super Mario Galaxy. Favorite Songs: Bowser's Galaxy Reactor, Good Egg Galaxy, Battlerock Galaxy, Buoy Base Galaxy, there's really too many to put here.

Killer Instinct 2013 - It might be just because I grew up playing the original Killer Instinct on the SNES, but this game is really, really good. And the music is top-notch, and when you add in the fact that

, I can't just let this game not be in here. Sorry guys. It's just too freaking cool. Favorite Songs: Jago's Stage, Spinal's Stage, Thunder's Stage, Title Screen

Honorable Mentions:

Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

Silver Surfer (NES)

Gyromite (NES) - fuck you, I love the Title Screen music

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)

Team Fortress 2 (why not!)

I like your taste in music.

• 1 month later...

Some of my favourites:

Ace Attorney. Yes, every single one. While none of the games cracked up to be as good as the original (Music-wise!!! Please don't burn me!), Every single game was packed to the brim with music that could both ignite your determination to fight, and pull at your heartstrings. To me, however, no AA game does the Soundtrack better than the crossover with Professor Layton that was released quite recently. EVERY track from the original game (As far as I'm aware) has orchestral remixes, you know, like the movie, only more awesome. So it's Original PW:AA tracks + Orchestra = Unrivalled music.

Favourite Track: Cornered!

Left 4 Dead 2... Ok, only the main theme kicks enough arse to be mentioned, but still.

Favourite Track: Main Theme.

Batman: Arkham City. Only one thing could have made these tracks better: Danny Elfman (Composer for the 1989 movie).

Favourite Track: Title Screen/Main Theme. I dunno what it's called.

(This was where I got lazy.)

Any game made by Capcom and based off of a show on the Disney Afternoon. I think you can tell which one in particular.

Favourite Track: The Moon. Obviously.

Donkey Kong 64. Jeez, was this game fun. While it had its low points (I'm going to murder that bloody beetle), the main place where this game shines (In my opinion) is Creepy Castle, in which some of the hardest (And my favourites) levels hide. The music, as the world's name may suggest, is composed with kid-friendly horror vibes at the forefront. First in my two favourite tracks in the game is the "build-up" theme, Puzzle in the Caves, more commonly known as Painis Cupcake's theme. And then my favourite level song (And level in general) strikes you - the "Demon Resident" Mine cart theme - also known as Painis Cupcake's rage theme (It's a coincidence, I swear!). The fast pace and quick changes in pitch with this song - coupled with the previous song's build-up - creates a vibe of pure terror and I love every second of it.

Also MadWorld. Still your biggest fan, Black Baron.

Favourite tracks: Look Pimpin'!, So Cold, It ain't *Something* (The sumo guy's theme), Soul

• 2 weeks later...

Gimmick! (1993) - Famicom - Sunsoft has quite the history of good games (and horrible ones.) This is one of the best games the irreverent company came out with, and it's got by far the best soundtrack they ever did. The story is a charming one, a girl gets a doll that oddly looks like Bub from Bubble Bobble for her birthday. All her other dolls are so jealous, they take her through this portal into another world and some other stuff. You play as the Bubble Bobble reject trying to save your new owner. The music is also incredibly charming and upbeat, and it manages to sound so...complete! On a 8-bit console! I definitely recommend this game not only to listen to, but to play as well.

Time Trax (1994) - Sega Genesis - Anyone well-versed in VGM lore should know all too well the name of Tim Follin. He did absolutely amazing soundtracks for the NES, most notably Silver Surfer and Solstice. He also worked on Plok! and Equinox for the SNES, but this unreleased game takes the cake as far as this legend's work goes. That title music, though!

My personal favourites:

• Anything composed by Grant Kirkhope (B-K/T [not nnb], Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, CBFD, DKC, DK64, etc.)
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Any Zelda game (especially OoT, MM and WW)
  • Super Mario Galaxy (2)
  • Old Donkey Kong games (DKC-DK64)
  • Thomas Was Alone
  • Pokemon, esp. gens I, II, IV and V

From this point you can pretty much tell I love music

Diablo (PC, 1996) - Even though the soundtrack only has six songs to it, they all have a lot of atmosphere to them and are great to listen to whether you're sending demons back to hell or just doing some reading on a weekend. Matt Uelmen composed this great soundtrack, as well as the second and third Diablo games. In Cain's words, "Stay awhile and listen!" Favorite Song: Town

Xexyz (NES, 1990) - While it certainly isn't the best soundtrack of all time, I like it a lot for it's one-of-a-kind sound on the system. No other game in the NES (or even 8-bit) library has music quite like Xexyz does, and it's a surprisingly good platformer from a developer that mainly makes RPG's (Atlus). Favorite Song: Inside (Armour)

ÅŒkamiden (DS, 2010) - Absolutely beautiful. For the entire 3 hours, 23 minutes, and 29 seconds. Rei Kondoh also composed ÅŒkami, the first game in this underrated franchise. Favorite Songs: Yakushi Village, Ryoshima Field North, Shinshu Plains, all of them pretty much

Shining Force (Genesis, 1993) - Here's an underrated RPG that isn't really known for it's gameplay, much less for its music, but this is a prime example of how you make music perfectly match what's going on in the game. It's sorrowful when it needs to be, and upbeat when it wants to be, and motivating when you want it to be. Favorite Songs: Prologue, World Map 1, Sad Music

I'm sad that nobody's said

Katamari Damacy and Katamari Forever

Patapon 2

Jet Set Radio and JSRF

Sonic Rush (Okay so literally anything by Hideki Naganuma)

Star Fox Assault

S4 League (I don't really expect anybody to know this MMOTPS)

I have literally all of the soundtrack/music for every single Mass Effect game, DLC, whatever else. At least I'm fairly sure that I do. 166 total. You can guess that is one of my favorites.

An End, Once And For All - Extended Cut

Vigil - Extended (NON-OFFICIAL)

In Pursuit of Saren

Also, not official soundtrack to the game, but a great recreation / reimagination of it. I present...

Theophany - Time's End

The album is free on his site.

• 8 months later...

ofc it's from Fire Emblem. Did you expect another series?

Damn, it got moved.

Basically, everything in the first Fire Emblem game is gud.

inb4 guile's theme.

• 2 weeks later...