(FAQ) About Professional And Specialized cosmetics

Mark Unread

I am writing here a simple FAQ about the Specialized and Professional cosmetics.

Q: Why do Specialized/Professional Killstreak cosmetics exist?

A: This glitch was caused after the Gun Mettle Update. People who did Mann Up mode in Mann V. Machine mode dropped, along with Aussie weapons/various shit, those fabbricators that were intended to be specified for a weapon (Example: Someone might drop a Specialized Killstreak Shotgun fabbricator), however, the game started to give blank killstreakers fabbricator, resulting in the latter to generate the nowadays known Blank Specialized Killstreak Kit and Blank Professional Killstreak Kit. The glitch however was patched after an hour that was discovered, resulting in at least 300 fabbricators dropped between Specialized and Professional ones.

Q: Can I apply those blank kits on everything?

A: Yes. You could apply it to every single item you may own. People applied those glitched kits even to items such as crates, name tags and EVEN REFINED METAL! Some people applied those kits even to weapons that aren't supposed to kill, such as Ali Baba's Wee booties and Gunboats, or Rocket Jumpers.

Q: Does the sheen on my cosmetics show?

A: No, it does not. However there are cases where the sheen shows. Some examples are the Bonk Helm.

Q: What are the cause of the sheen not showing?
A: The reasons are the missing of a special code that consent the item to show a special type of phong. Hats and miscs aren't supposed to show that phong, thus it lacks that code. If you ask what type of code is, I will show down below an example of a SMG .vmt file:
"VertexLitGeneric"
{
	"$basetexture"	"models\weapons\v_smg\v_smg"

"$phong" "1"
	"$phongexponent" "25"
	"$phongboost" "5"	
	"$lightwarptexture" "models\lightwarps\weapon_lightwarp"
	"$phongfresnelranges"	"[.25 .5 1]"
	"$basemapalphaphongmask" "1"

"$rimlight" "1"
	"$rimlightexponent" "3"	
	"$rimlightboost" ".25"

"$glowcolor" "1"

// Cloaking
	"$cloakPassEnabled" "1"
	"$sheenPassEnabled" "1"

"$sheenmap" 		"cubemaps\cubemap_sheen001"
	"$sheenmapmask" 		"Effects\AnimatedSheen\animatedsheen0"
	"$sheenmaptint" 		"[ 1 1 1 ]"
	"$sheenmapmaskframe" 	"0"
	"$sheenindex" 		"0"

"$yellow" "0"

"Proxies"
	{
		"AnimatedWeaponSheen"
		{
			"animatedtexturevar" 		"$sheenmapmask"
			"animatedtextureframenumvar" 	"$sheenmapmaskframe"
			"animatedtextureframerate" 		"40"
		}
		"invis"
		{
		}
		"ModelGlowColor"
		{
			"resultVar" "$glowcolor"
		}
		"Equals"
		{
			"srcVar1"  "$glowcolor"
			"resultVar" "$selfillumtint"
		}
		"Equals"
		{
			"srcVar1"  "$glowcolor"
			"resultVar" "$color2"
		}
		"YellowLevel"
		{
			"resultVar" "$yellow"
		}
		"Multiply"
		{
			"srcVar1" "$color2"
			"srcVar2" "$yellow"
			"resultVar" "$color2"
		}
	}
}

As you may see, there's this code:

"$sheenmap"         "cubemaps\cubemap_sheen001"

"$sheenmapmask"         "Effects\AnimatedSheen\animatedsheen0"
    "$sheenmaptint"         "[ 1 1 1 ]"
    "$sheenmapmaskframe"     "0"
    "$sheenindex"         "0"

this code is what permits the weapon (in this case the SMG) to show the sheen. This code is missing from the .vmt files of all the hats, since they are not supposed to exist in first place.

Q: Is there a way that I can see the sheen on my hat?

A: Yes, there exist a method that consist in copying the code straight from a weapon, the full code, and paste it in the .vmt files of the cosmetic you own. Note that you might be careful in case the item is paintable to not to delete the paintable part of the item.

In my case, since my hat was not paintable (Unusual Specialized Killstreak Smoking Antlers), I didn't had such problems.

Q: Does the professional cosmetic I own show its eyes effect?

A: As they are not part of the .vmt files, they are supposedly be seen after getting 5 killstreaks and more with the same type of killstreak weapon of your choice, may it be a bat, a scattergun or a fan o' war. Some people claim that is not possible to get the eye effect on those killstreak hats.

Q: Is it worth to use the kits on hats or non-harmful weapons?

A: As a personal opinion, it is worth if you like having something special on your backpack. In popular opinion, it is worthy and not worthy. The choice depends on you, kit owner, to decide what to do with those kits.

MMW out. Gave all the informations. Hope this will explain to everybody if the sheen can be seen or not and such.

Thanks.

Q: Can I apply those blank kits on everything?

A: Yes. You could apply it to every single item you may own. People applied those glitched kits even to items such as crates, name tags and EVEN REFINED METAL! Some people applied those kits even to weapons that aren't supposed to kill, such as Chargin' Targe and Gunboats, or Rocket Jumpers.

Targes can kill people and actually have their own killstreak kits http://www.tf2outpost.com/item/440,3406338942,6523,6

But other than that, nice FAQ, you really took your time with it

Targes can kill people and actually have their own killstreak kits http://www.tf2outpost.com/item/440,3406338942,6523,6

But other than that, nice FAQ, you really took your time with it

As for the Targe, I am sorry, got confused for a second.

Anyways, it was fun to make this FAQ, since everybody is asking if is worthy or not and if it shows. Is always good to clarify the community about it.

Ty. Just a question, does the sheen show on backpacks like the buff banner/concherer? Or indeed the gunboats.

Theorically they do.

Yes, weapons that do not kill show sheens, and can amass killstreak points from other killstreak weapons, so that the sheen can become more vivid, and the eye effect can appear (if applicable). Some of the more popular ones are the sandvich, where the sheen shows on the heavy's hands as well as the sandvich, and the bonk.

Archived