Thoughts on the Dead Ringer change?

Deku

I personally am liking it so far, the speed boost allows you to get a kill and back out quickly. The decreased armor protection also makes fake deaths more believable.

super sanick speed spy

It now works as it was originally supposed to be - fake a death and escape. But the nerf took away the main reason everyone used it - aggressive plays. Now it makes you play real stealthy and make planned moves. But you already have the invis watch and C&D for that, so it feels redundant. You also cant make soldiers and demos blow up themselves, or take a crit sticky trap for the team. Also, its a pain in the ass to play spy in mvm now.

It now works as it was originally supposed to be - fake a death and escape. But the nerf took away the main reason everyone used it - aggressive plays. Now it makes you play real stealthy and make planned moves. But you already have the invis watch and C&D for that, so it feels redundant. You also cant make soldiers and demos blow up themselves, or take a crit sticky trap for the team. Also, its a pain in the ass to play spy in mvm now.

I actually like playing spy more now than I did before the update though.

Basically you have to plan out where to escape as you are going if you're playing aggressive play, as dispensers and ammo crates no longer regain cloak anymore.

As a spy that likes to stalk engies while slowly regaining cloak with the dead ringer, I personally hated it.

But the nerf took away the main reason everyone used it - aggressive plays. Now it makes you play real stealthy and make planned moves. 

This

So far, so good. Now, you need careful timing to trigger the cloak instead of just running in guns blazing and triggering it at 10 health. The speed boost is really useful for escaping after a kill, combined with the Big Earner pretty much makes you this:

super sanick speed spy

i find it easier to use. My new strategy is to run and hide in a corner until I build the cloak back up or I'm safe enough to run and grab an ammo kit. Believe it or not, enemies instead of checking corners will usually just fire in random directions if they think you faked your death. Not to mention I love watch oblivious pyros walk by me and completely ignore me. Also, the speed boost means they won't just easily insta-kill you as soon as you use your dead ringer since you can get away pretty fast.

Its good except you take too much damage now, I think it'd be pretty balanced if you took the same damage as before but the other changes still apply, this way it still encourages a quick escape and you wont actually die of 1 rocket.

As a Spy main, I personally hate it.

You can no longer gain cloak while invisible from ammo packs, dispensers, etc.

The decreased resistance is also a big ouch. A simple crit rocket or sticky can be your doom easily. There's just really no point anymore in using the Dead Ringer.

If you manage to feign a death, you'll probably get killed by a stray rocket.

So, Invis Watch is in every way superior to this.

I thought DR needed a nerf, but they have over-nerfed it to the point it's almost unusuable now imo.

Before, you could walk around with the watch out and you were invincible to anything in the game (backstab and fully charged headshot included etc) but it's gone too far the other way...

Initial damage resist of 70% would be about right in my eyes.

I've already mastered the old DR, and let's be honest here - it wasn't OP, the new one however is just stupid

It used to be pretty fucking op, this comes from a spy main

It's really easy to escape pyros now with it because of the debuffs lasting so little while cloaked, they seem to last like half a second and you can actually get away from the flames. The initial damage reduction is way too low though, in order for it to be practical you have to always have it up unless going for a stab. Also the no ammo packs felt overkill, I think just having a longer recharge on the old watch would have been fine.

Archived