HELP! Tf2 is stuttering and freezing, high fps low ping.

Patrick_Star

My ping is low and fps is ~100. About every 4-5 minutes of gameplay my game stutters/freezes (where everyone stands still and nothing happens) then after about 10 seconds I am dead. (voices also play again ang again, like the announcer voice) During that stuttering my game says "auto-disconnect in 24 seconds". Most of the time I do not disconnect, but the stuttering is very frustrating! I have a feeling it has to do with my lerp and tf internet settings, so I found some threads and tried some settings in autoexec.

When I turn on netgraph_1  

my lerp is yellow color and says 15.2.

in: 170 15 k/s (goes from 12 k/s to 15 k/s and changes constantly)

out: 78 5.2 k/s (steady and constant)

My settings in autoexec:

cl_showfps 2

fps_max 120 

cl_cmdrate 66

cl_updaterate 66

cl_interp_ratio 1

cl_interp 0

rate 66000

This problem has only started to occur in the past month.

Here are some screenshots of my net_graph 3:

More Info:

I am on ethernet.

No viruses.

No background programs running during tf2.

Tried re-installing tf2.

Something similar used to happen with my old laptop. I thought it was a GPU overheating issue, especially occurring in summer. Or perhaps aging components.

Disconnect and reconnect every once in a while. It helps so much. I have a great computer, but a shit internet. Fucking comcast. But regardless, disconnecting and reconnecting every 20 minutes or so seems to solve it. Try if it works. If not Ctrl + Shift + Esc and end all processes that dont have to do with tf2.

I have no clue how the netgraph works, but I am assuming the red spikes in my netgraph 3 are not good right?

Disconnect and reconnect every once in a while. It helps so much. I have a great computer, but a shit internet. Fucking comcast. But regardless, disconnecting and reconnecting every 20 minutes or so seems to solve it. Try if it works. If not Ctrl + Shift + Esc and end all processes that dont have to do with tf2.

sadly I have comcast too -_-

I hope that isn't the case.

I get this problem too, but it isn't as often. It is very frustrating. I solve it by restarting my router, but it only fixes it for a few hours. Cox/Time Warner/Comcast are the worst...

So pretty much I can be sure that it has to do with my IPS (Comcast Cable?).

I am on Ethernet so not the router.

So pretty much I can be sure that it has to do with my IPS (Comcast Cable?).

I am on Ethernet so not the router.

There could still be something wonky with your connection (bad ethernet cable, bad port, etc)

open command prompt and do a "ping -t 192.168.0.1" (replace 192.168.0.1 with router IP, if you don't know it, it's prob 192.168.0.1)

Let that run when playing tf2.

When you start getting a connection error, alt-tab out and check cmd

You should get replies within a couple milliseconds. If you ever get "connection timed out" or super long response times, it's a problem with the connection between your computer and your router.

If you don't see any "timed out" or irregular activity, then it's (probably) your ISP's fault.

Archived