The Confederate Flag in the wake of the South Carolina shooting

dabaers

Now games have been banned from the app store for having the confederate flag in them. 

http://toucharcade.com/2015/06/25/apple-removes-confederate-flag/

Social justice at work, saving the rich hipsters from historical games they probably would never have played anyway.

Developer response:  http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/our-game-has-been-removed-from-appstore

"We receive a lot of letters of gratitude from American teachers who use our game in history curriculum to let kids experience one of the most important battles in American history from the Commander's perspective.

Spielberg’s "Schindler's List" did not try to amend his movie to look more comfortable. The historical "Gettysburg" movie (1993) is still on iTunes. We believe that all historical art forms: books, movies, or games such as ours, help to learn and understand history, depicting events as they were. True stories are more important to us than money.

Therefore we are not going to amend the game's content and Ultimate General: Gettysburg will no longer be available on AppStore."

and yet they also say:

"We accept Apple's decision and understand that this is a sensitive issue for the American Nation."

and

"We really hope that Apple’s decision will achieve the desired results."

It baffles me, TBH, how they could seem to agree and disagree with the censorship of the flag at the same time.  Perhaps they just respect apple's right to not sell shit they choose not to sell, even if they find the decision in this case to be wrong.  Perhaps they are just trying to be diplomatic so as not to burn any bridges unnecessarily. 

In any case, FUCK CENSORSHIP.  I weep for our future if this trend continues.  I really do.

Now games have been banned from the app store for having the confederate flag in them. 

Social justice at work, saving the rich hipsters from historical games they probably would never have played anyway.

Developer response:  http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/our-game-has-been-removed-from-appstore

"We receive a lot of letters of gratitude from American teachers who use our game in history curriculum to let kids experience one of the most important battles in American history from the Commander's perspective.

Spielberg’s "Schindler's List" did not try to amend his movie to look more comfortable. The historical "Gettysburg" movie (1993) is still on iTunes. We believe that all historical art forms: books, movies, or games such as ours, help to learn and understand history, depicting events as they were. True stories are more important to us than money.

Therefore we are not going to amend the game's content and Ultimate General: Gettysburg will no longer be available on AppStore."

and yet they also say:

"We accept Apple's decision and understand that this is a sensitive issue for the American Nation."

and

It baffles me, TBH, how they could seem to agree and disagree with the censorship of the flag at the same time.  Perhaps they just respect apple's right to not sell shit they choose not to sell, even if they find the decision in this case to be wrong.  Perhaps they are just trying to be diplomatic so as not to burn any bridges unnecessarily. 

It's similar to Nazi symbols in video games being banned in Germany. As long as it's not used to promote racism I don't see why it should be banned if it's being used as part of a historical game. Might as well just remove the Confederacy and let the Union win on turn 1.

"...because it includes images of the confederate flag used in offensive and mean-spirited ways." - right, a basic RTS game is apparently promoting racism now.

It's similar to Nazi symbols in video games being banned in Germany. As long as it's not used to promote racism I don't see why it should be banned if it's being used as part of a historical game. Might as well just remove the Confederacy and let the Union win on turn 1.

"...because it includes images of the confederate flag used in offensive and mean-spirited ways." - right, a basic RTS game is apparently promoting racism now.

and yet they also say:

and

In any case, FUCK CENSORSHIP.  I weep for our future if this trend continues.  I really do.

That's just retarded. You cant compare that to taking off the confederate flag from government at all.

That's just retarded. You cant compare that to taking off the confederate flag from government at all.

Yes, you can. It's related and occurred as a direct result of the controversy started by the debate about the Confederate flag in government (and tbh I don't see why it was even used at all - the Confederacy is a dead, illegitimate nation).

Yes, you can. It's related and occurred as a direct result of the controversy started by the debate about the Confederate flag in government (and tbh I don't see why it was even used at all - the Confederacy is a dead, illegitimate nation).

Removing games that have it in for historical purposes does not make sense, not flying it in front of the government makes more sense.

Wanna bet?  The removal of the flag anywhere on the grounds of being offensive/racist strips the legitimacy of it being viewed in any other context, placing identity politics above all else, no matter if it is from a flagpole in front of a government building or in a video game.

I'll tell you something else.  This bullshit is very quickly making that flag representative of free expression and anti-censorship in my mind, as displaying it will now be the fastest way to piss off retarded and misguided moral crusaders and cause a completely inappropriate response of outrage and attempted censorship.

I'll tell you what else it represents to me.  Dogged determination in the face of superior opposition, individuality, rebellion against authority, self-determination, and the willingness to fight for one's own rights to control their own destiny.  It also represents the fact that people can be completely in the right and still overlook being horribly wrong about other things, for while the southern states were justified in seceding and fighting for their independence, they were still wrong to deny it to others.

For all of these reasons and more, the flag can and should be displayed and flown.

and yet they also say:

and

Wanna bet?  The removal of the flag anywhere on the grounds of being offensive/racist strips the legitimacy of it being viewed in any other context, placing identity politics above all else, no matter if it is from a flagpole in front of a government building or in a video game.

I'll tell you something else.  This bullshit is very quickly making that flag representative of free expression and anti-censorship in my mind, as displaying it will now be the fastest way to piss off retarded and misguided moral crusaders and cause a completely inappropriate response of outrage and attempted censorship.

I'll tell you what else it represents to me.  Dogged determination in the face of superior opposition, individuality, rebellion against authority, self-determination, and the willingness to fight for one's own rights to control their own destiny.  It also represents the fact that people can be completely in the right and still overlook being horribly wrong about other things, for while the southern states were justified in seceding and fighting for their independence, they were still wrong to deny it to others.

For all of these reasons, the flag can and should be displayed and flown.

Bah, you think you're entitled to be free of censorship, shitlord? Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Apple was totally in the right there, because the confederate flag is always offensive, no matter the context, and if you think otherwise you'll be BLOCKED. HAVE FUN IN YOUR LITTLE ECHO CHAMBER.

Seriously though, what apple did is retarded. On their logic they should ban any games that have nooses in them, as they symbolize the lynching of thousands of African Americans. No, no, doesn't matter the context. Any noose ever only symbolizes oppression and hatred.

Want to play a cowboy game? Sorry, you can't, there was a noose in it, so the whole game had to go. It was obviously supporting racist lynch mobs and the KKK.

Ever watched the Pirates of the Carribean movies? Well, guess what,there were nooses. If you enjoyed any second of it, you're obviously a white supremacist.

To be quite honest, I take any quote that Apple has about caring about racism and human rights with a pillar of salt, what with their past records with human rights have been, building nets around their Chinese factories because those employees were committing suicide because of their atrocious living conditions. Why the bloody fuck are they saying anything against racism when they treat Chinese employees like liquefied shit?

The Union fought the Confederacy in the Civil War. THAT IS A FUCKING FACT YOU CANNOT FUCKING GLOSS OVER! Stop doing stupid PR moves to garner sympathy and fix your shitty as hell bendable phones that have sugar glass as a screen.

A great deal of this popular outrage is sheer ignorance and accepting a negative stereotype at face value, since having an informed opinion takes more effort than following the crowd and patting yourself on the back for being "progressive".  Step back, examine the issue rather than accepting the popular bullshit spin on it.  Be a thinker not a stinker.

I still can't get over how this issue came up, I'm definitely not alone in thinking it was going to start more gun control and mental health debates and whatnot, but instead lets attack the flag? Of course!

as far as the actual situation at hand, I don't really care that Walmart stopped selling it or that South Carolina took it down, because that doesn't change a whole lot, but taking apps down from the app store is ridiculous. Apples is a private company, so they can do what they want, but they're the only market for people with iPhones to get games that might not be that bad, and I really hope that doesn't start a precedent for other companies as well (I can't imagine it will).

I've had relatives in the KKK who were big fans of the confederate flag, but that should not mean that racism is the only connotation that it carries, because it represented (and still represents) so many other things. Censoring this part of history is awful, and is hiding one of the events that shaped the country, rather than encouraging learning about it.

Alright I thought this was just about the flag at current government buildings, where it in my opinion doesn't belong. We (the Dutch) are not flying the Oranje-Blanje-Bleu anymore because our flag changed. Neither should the Southern states. Like it or not, you've had the flag for 150 years now.

However, this has become frightening. Companies like Apple are now removing Civil War games from their App Store. WHAT THE HELL? History is real, history happened. The flag being used in documentations of history is not in any way, kind or sense racist. Depicting Nazi symbology in a WW2 film is not racism, it's accurate display of history. Same with the confederate flag and the Oranje-Blanje-Bleu. You can't change your history, and nasty things happened in the world, including slavery. Educating the population on what made those things happen and how to make them not happen the next time is a good idea, the reason history exists. It's not so that all the bad things that happened in the past can be forgotten. Forgetting the bad things in history is step one into repeating them

Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen.

Heinrich Heine

I think the dumbest part about this isn't even the censorship overkill.  It's the fact that people think that getting rid of a flag is going to accomplish anything in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

i am an alabama resident

most people at my school can be seen occasionally wearing this flag, trucks with this flag in the parking lot, people with this flag in their homes. they're not racist, it's their way of life. the flag was the flag of confederacy, yes it was a racist 'nation' if it was even that. the confederate flag does not represent that today, it represents a good chunk of the south's way of life.

yes a church shooting is a tragedy, but because it was a white guy who had some pictures done with a flag doesnt mean everyone who has one is racist. i personally do not really care for it, but they should always have the right to show it.

Archived