What does religion do for you?

_V0RTEX_

Religion gives people answers so they don't have to think for themselves.

They "know" [believe that they know] all the answers. That's a huge ego boost.

"I'm right and everyone else's beliefs are wrong" It gives them a sense of superiority.

tl;dr Religion makes people feel good about themselves.

this is such an arrogant, ignorant viewpoint that comes from not having any empathy with different cultural practices.

While some evangelical Christian groups do very often promote their faith as 'having the answers', it's very very reductive to list that as the purpose and psychological influence of religion. In many places in the world religion is massively part of the fabric of cultural life, it shapes how people think and perceive their world. I value religion as a massively interesting, influential part of global culture, philosophy, society, entertainment, et cetera. The people I see as arrogant are those who decry religion as "giving people answers so they don't have to think for themselves".

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is honestly a question ive been dealing with lately. I am still christian, catholic,  but i am also wondering as well. 

Part of it is that i just feel happier. Gives me a sense of hope. I used to be a pretty bad kid and i was doin stuff that would blow your mind (as a kid). Then when i got caught, i went to confession. I was pretty scared at that point since there was no way I WOULD be forgiven for my sins. Yet, when i laid it out, i could tell them my life had been given a sense of peace. 

Since then, i have been doing well in school, been fruitful in all my endeavours. At church i pray for 1 thing i need help with during the week and, surprisingly, im able to manage. Honestly, i dont think it was "just me". Ive done some pretty cool shit but there is no way i did it of my own.

Naturally, most of this sounds, as you say, ignorant. But thats because each persons interaction with religion is different. You may not have any at all, but realize that religion isnt JUST christians, muslims, etc. Religion is a way of life.

To that extent, we all have one.

This is honestly a question ive been dealing with lately. I am still christian, catholic,  but i am also wondering as well. 

Part of it is that i just feel happier. Gives me a sense of hope. I used to be a pretty bad kid and i was doin stuff that would blow your mind (as a kid). Then when i got caught, i went to confession. I was pretty scared at that point since there was no way I WOULD be forgiven for my sins. Yet, when i laid it out, i could tell them my life had been given a sense of peace. 

Since then, i have been doing well in school, been fruitful in all my endeavours. At church i pray for 1 thing i need help with during the week and, surprisingly, im able to manage. Honestly, i dont think it was "just me". Ive done some pretty cool shit but there is no way i did it of my own.

Naturally, most of this sounds, as you say, ignorant. But thats because each persons interaction with religion is different. You may not have any at all, but realize that religion isnt JUST christians, muslims, etc. Religion is a way of life.

To that extent, we all have one.

I can't really say I do have one. Unless the internet and video games is my religion.

When you say:

i dont think it was "just me". Ive done some pretty cool shit but there is no way i did it of my own.

What are these things you speak of? What have you achieved that you couldn't have possibly achieved without a god silently and secretly assisting you?

this is such an arrogant, ignorant viewpoint that comes from not having any empathy with different cultural practices.

While some evangelical Christian groups do very often promote their faith as 'having the answers', it's very very reductive to list that as the purpose and psychological influence of religion. In many places in the world religion is massively part of the fabric of cultural life, it shapes how people think and perceive their world. I value religion as a massively interesting, influential part of global culture, philosophy, society, entertainment, et cetera. The people I see as arrogant are those who decry religion as "giving people answers so they don't have to think for themselves".

Whilst religion has definitely been a part of life for millennia, it has also been influential in certain events (both morally good and bad) and it's simply time to move on as we now have a better understanding of the world than the scholars of the past (e.g Galen), their observations are simply outdated. All of religion can all be reduced to a simple statement - my god is better than yours.

All of religion can all be reduced to a simple statement - my god is better than yours.

fundamentally untrue. there are religions without a god or gods, for a start.

i'm not saying everything religion has produced is fundamentally relevant and true for us today. but saying "it's time to move on from religion" is like saying "it's time to move on from philosophy". religion is active in so many ways for so many people and the meanings and values it has are not essentially about a deity or deities; the social and cultural element of religion is active in so many more ways than a shouting match about whose god is best.

I can't really say I do have one. Unless the internet and video games

When you say:

What are these things you speak of? What have you achieved that you couldn't have possibly achieved without a god silently and secretly assisting you?

Look up a definition fo religion. It TYPICALLY includes a god, but doesnt have to. It can br a way of life or culture. If you enjoy video games and they are really what you love to do, its your religion.

Having the courage to admit my mistakes. You may not know it, but ive got a pretty big ego. I used to think if i did something wrong it wasnt my fault.

Other things, like getting straight As senior year despite dyslexia, getting over my uncles death when my parents were going through a seperation. I almost comitted suicide due to the bullying i got for my OCD. When i was almost raped in the back alley of my neighborhood.

I got through all of it because i prayed to God for strength. THATS why I have MY religion

The biggest question is why can't everyone just accept other people's beliefs? It's as if the saying "Hate the person, not the group" doesn't apply on the topic of religion.

If there is something that is helping someone out in their life, what's for anybody to question them? You do what works out for you.

I'm probably going to be attacked for this but bear in mind I'm not even a religious person. I'm on the neutral side here.

"I'm right and everyone else's beliefs are wrong" It gives them a sense of superiority.

While it can be true for some but this applies to atheism as well. Hop on over to /r/atheism and anyone can see for themselves.

I hate to say it, but I look upon god whenever I have troubles. 95% of the time my problems are fixed, in a miracle like way. I believe in what I please, and that makes me happy. 

Not really my religion but my beliefs are a bit too close to it, not to mention people tend to steer away from me if I ever do tell them. It just tells me to not be a dick to other people.

Religion has definitely influenced culture, but religion =/= culture.

Sure, religion may have given people some idealogies and practices...

But for many of these, you don't need a religion. They can and do exist outside of religious communities.

When I say "Religion gives people answers so they don't have to think for themselves." I'm not saying "hurr durr religious ppl r dum." I'm saying that many religious people will state that "God did it" or "God willed it" when confronted with a question that they are unable to answer (especially relating to the creation of the universe, life, etc). Thinking that they know the answers will give them comfort.

My point was not "religion is dumb" or anything along the lines of that.

If you read my tl;dr you would have understood what my point was. My point was that religion makes people feel good about themselves. Which is true.

Was anything I stated false? I know that there are people out there who fit the descriptions I listed. I know atheists who (when they were religious) used to fit that description. So they can't be false.

I never stated that there was nothing to learn from religion, or that people should stay away from religion, etc.

There's always things to learn. We can learn from ancient norse mythology. We can learn from modern religions. However, I personally wouldn't claim that either of those are factual accounts of history. Without facts to back it up, we shouldn't make such claims. I believe that doing that would be highly arrogant.

While it can be true for some but this applies to atheism as well. Hop on over to /r/atheism and anyone can see for themselves.

It applies to anyone who claims to know all the answers without any proof. So yes, it can apply to some atheists.

It doesn't apply to all atheists. Atheism is a lack of belief. Having a lack of belief =/= claiming something is false.

Some atheists make claims that "God isn't real" or something along those lines. It would apply to those atheists, but not the ones that just lack belief.

The biggest question is why can't everyone just accept other people's beliefs? It's as if the saying "Hate the person, not the group" doesn't apply on the topic of religion.

If there is something that is helping someone out in their life, what's for anybody to question them? You do what works out for you.

I'm probably going to be attacked for this but bear in mind I'm not even a religious person. I'm on the neutral side here.

What do you mean by acceptance?  Do you really mean that everyone has to respect eachother's beliefs?  Because that's pure bullshit, and that would be asking for something that religious people don't even do for eachother.  Some beliefs are flat out regressive.  The brains generating them are mentally stunted.  Such beliefs are sitting in the way of people thinking rationally and dealing with reality on an evidential basis.  Respect has to be earned, not simply granted by default.  I'm not going to respect something simply because it is religious.  I am going to respect it based on merit.  This is called being pragmatic.  I think people know the value of pragmatism, otherwise they wouldn't constantly try to justify their beliefs to other people.

Personally, I'm not sure whether certian individuals actually need certain religious beliefs to help them not kill themselves or not lose the will to keep going.  I know some people believe that they do need them.  It may simply be a case of needing help or reassurance, and reaching for an immaginary friend is the shortest route to feeling like you have it.  But the belief itself is not based on anything evident.  I see this as a failure to keep an internal model of reality that is consistent with the evidence of that reality.  It's irrational for someone to incorporate something outside of those bounds into their internal model.  Why do I have to respect that?

The only thing I will do is be empathetic.  But this has limits.  And just to be clear, being irrational about something doesn't nessesarily make you a bad person.  As thinking beings, we all apparently have that same tendency.  I'm not aware of anyone having a perfectly logical brain.  However, knowingly and intentionally being irrational is a step in the wrong direction, and trying to spread irrationality to other people is even worse.

I will accept people up to a point, but I do not have to accept all of their beliefs, nor tolerate their beliefs, nor respect their beliefs, unless there is merit to them.

But for many of these, you don't need a religion. They can and do exist outside of religious communities.

When I say "Religion gives people answers so they don't have to think for themselves." I'm not saying "hurr durr religious ppl r dum." I'm saying that many religious people will state that "God did it" or "God willed it" when confronted with a question that they are unable to answer (especially relating to the creation of the universe, life, etc). Thinking that they know the answers will give them comfort.

If you read my tl;dr you would have understood what my point was. My point was that religion makes people feel good about themselves. Which is true.

Was anything I stated false? I know that there are people out there who fit the descriptions I listed. I know atheists who (when they were religious) used to fit that description. So they can't be false.

I never stated that there was nothing to learn from religion, or that people should stay away from religion, etc.

There's always things to learn. We can learn from ancient norse mythology. We can learn from modern religions. However, I personally wouldn't claim that either of those are factual accounts of history. Without facts to back it up, we shouldn't make such claims. I believe that doing that would be highly arrogant.

religion is a massive part of culture, i never said anything other than that. it's pretty much 100% undeniable so i don't know what you think i said or what point you're trying to make by "religion=/=culture". it's not about whether it would be possible to have various practices and meanings without religion, the point is that it has happened. that's like saying that because someone might discover a cure for cancer even further ahead in future, we don't need to value the means by which we do discover a cure, if that happens.

i'm not saying what you said was a lie, i'm saying it's reductive and not a useful, well-rounded viewpoint. you equated religion with simply the task of helping people avoid difficult questions which is not the way it is by and large experienced.

It applies to anyone who claims to know all the answers without any proof. So yes, it can apply to some atheists.

It doesn't apply to all atheists. Atheism is a lack of belief. Having a lack of belief =/= claiming something is false.

Some atheists make claims that "God isn't real" or something along those lines. It would apply to those atheists, but not the ones that just lack belief.

By definition, a religion can be equal to a culture. Just google the definition of religion.

[quote name="Heated Bread" post="417601" timestamp="1434278426"

I will accept people up to a point, but I do not have to accept all of their beliefs, nor tolerate their beliefs, nor respect their beliefs, unless there is merit to them.

What an interesting concept. By that note, we would live in a world full of assholes.

Im interested. What do YOU see as "worth merit"?

What an interesting concept. By that note, we would live in a world full of assholes.

First, refusing to respect a belief does not automatically equate to being an asshole.  Second, wake up.  We already live in a world full of assholes who think they have the right to shove their beliefs in everyone else's face by standing on street corners and shouting into megaphones, going door to door to people's houses, and trying to get laws passed based on them.  And somehow I'm supposed to stand in deference to their beliefs because they are of a religious nature.  Nope.  I don't.  Fuck that.  Even if there weren't people doing that, to insist that I must respect all religious beliefs is itself the act of an asshole.  A pushy and controlling one.

Im interested. What do YOU see as "worth merit"?

Merit isn't something that a thing is worth.  Merit is something a thing has.  If you pay attention to what I wrote, it has to do with whether or not something is of practical use.  What is practical about believing Zeus hurls lightning bolts, for example?  At one point, this might have brought a person comfort by giving them the false sense that they understood something as scary as lightning.  But of what practical use would this be?  Believing that Zeus controls lightning might lead one to misguidedly attempt to bargain with Zeus to not hurl lightning bolts at them or their city.  In reality, a more acurate understanding of how lightning actually works leads to the use of lightning rods and the knowledge of how to avoid having a high likelihood of being struck by it during a storm (do not stand in an open area so that you are the tallest thing, don't hold a metal rod-like object, etc).

By definition, a religion can be equal to a culture. Just google the definition of religion.

Ok. http://prntscr.com/7h105e circled all occurances of the word "culture."

Religion can include and influence culture, but religion =/= culture.

religion is a massive part of culture, i never said anything other than that. it's pretty much 100% undeniable so i don't know what you think i said or what point you're trying to make by "religion=/=culture". it's not about whether it would be possible to have various practices and meanings without religion, the point is that it has happened. that's like saying that because someone might discover a cure for cancer even further ahead in future, we don't need to value the means by which we do discover a cure, if that happens.

i'm not saying what you said was a lie, i'm saying it's reductive and not a useful, well-rounded viewpoint. you equated religion with simply the task of helping people avoid difficult questions which is not the way it is by and large experienced.

I never said we shouldn't value the history of religion. I stated a fact. "Religion helps people feel better about themselves." I also stated some of the ways that it can make people feel better. (I never said that was the only thing that religion does for people, or that's the only value it has. I just stated that religion helps people feel better about themselves, which is true.) That is a valid answer for OP's question. My answer was correct. My answer was on-topic. Someone earlier in this thread stated something along the lines of "religion makes me feel good" which backs up my statement.

When you state things like:

>i'm not saying what you said was a lie, i'm saying it's reductive and not a useful, well-rounded viewpoint.

You're claiming that the answer that I submitted (which is true and on topic) adds nothing to the discussion. Claiming it invalid because you don't like or don't agree with it. That's ignorant. Do you have any counter-proof or counter-evidence? Stating facts relating to the discussion topic is not arrogant. That's what I was doing. The question is what religion does for people. The question is not wether or not religion has any valid ideals, or if we have anything to learn from it (although it/we does/do, and I never stated it/we doesn't/don't.)

>that's like saying that because someone might discover a cure for cancer even further ahead in future, we don't need to value the means by which we do discover a cure, if that happens.

You're completely changing the subject. I never claimed anything along the lines of "there being nothing to learn" or "no value" from religion. I specifically stated that we can learn from modern religions. I encourage learning. Something that gives us a potential to learn has value for that. Knowledge.

Ok. http://prntscr.com/7h105e circled all occurances of the word "culture."

Religion can include and influence culture, but religion =/= culture.

I never said we shouldn't value the history of religion. I stated a fact. "Religion helps people feel better about themselves." I also stated some of the ways that it can make people feel better. (I never said that was the only thing that religion does for people, or that's the only value it has. I just stated that religion helps people feel better about themselves, which is true.) That is a valid answer for OP's question. My answer was correct. My answer was on-topic. Someone earlier in this thread stated something along the lines of "religion makes me feel good" which backs up my statement.

When you state things like:

>i'm not saying what you said was a lie, i'm saying it's reductive and not a useful, well-rounded viewpoint.

You're claiming that the answer that I submitted (which is true and on topic) adds nothing to the discussion. Claiming it invalid because you don't like or don't agree with it. That's ignorant. Do you have any counter-proof or counter-evidence? Stating facts relating to the discussion topic is not arrogant. That's what I was doing. The question is what religion does for people. The question is not wether or not religion has any valid ideals, or if we have anything to learn from it (although it/we does/do, and I never stated it/we doesn't/don't.)

>that's like saying that because someone might discover a cure for cancer even further ahead in future, we don't need to value the means by which we do discover a cure, if that happens.

You're completely changing the subject. I never claimed anything along the lines of "there being nothing to learn" or "no value" from religion. I specifically stated that we can learn from modern religions. I encourage learning. Something that gives us a potential to learn has value for that. Knowledge.

"Religion gives people answers so they don't have to think for themselves."

-the first line you dropped in this thread. let's not pretend you only said it makes people feel nice.

can you see why the fact that you've focussed solely on one way in which people interact with and understand religion, framing it in an insensitive way that sets up an opposition between religion and independent thought, makes it seem like you really don't understand the rest of the things it does or the value it has?

can you see why the fact that you've focussed solely on one way in which people interact with and understand religion, framing it in such a way, makes it seem like you really don't understand the rest of the things it does?

I stated 1 of the many things that religion gives people

I never stated "Religion is useless and people only use it to make themselves feel better."

If you read my tl;dr you would have gotten my point. The other lines were examples that support my point.

Don't assume that my simple response to a simple question is supposed to go in-depth and explain everything. My answer was not meant to encompass everything that religion has ever given anyone.

I stated 1 of the many things that religion gives people

I never stated "Religion is useless and people only use it to make themselves feel better."

If you read my tl;dr you would have gotten my point. The other lines were examples that support my point.

Don't assume that my simple response to a simple question is supposed to go in-depth and explain everything. My answer was not meant to encompass everything that religion has ever given anyone.

no, but it still came across as belittling and reductive, hence my response.

"What does religion do for you?"

For me, person with brave heart cold head and logical thinking it does absolutely nothing. Surely, religion served some purposes – it kept people under control in middle ages and such, but progress pushed it out – from people's minds first, from governments second, and now it's just weird anachronism. No offence to religion carriers, but when I meet religious person, he is A) Junkie or alcoholic who try to get rid of addiction; Ð’) Person who can't say three words without pause; C) Jehova witness (or another half- or illegal sect – no comments).

Merit isn't something that a thing is worth.  Merit is something a thing has.  If you pay attention to what I wrote, it has to do with whether or not something is of practical use.  What is practical about believing Zeus hurls lightning bolts, for example?

Imo I couldn't careless about religion as long as those who believe in the religion dont impede in my life. I understand some religions where they persuade you to "spread the good word", you do that but if im walking by and say sorry Im not interested and they keep talking that has shifted from practising your religion into trying to force something down my throat. Unfortunately a large amount of Christians fail to understand that while many respect religion, do have lives, places to be and do not want to be stalked down the street listening to you yapping non-stop.

Every religion has in some form "controlled" it's believers. If a single person decided to help out those who are unfortunate because they didnt want to go to hell or because their religion tells them to help the unfortunate it is merit in itself. I have seen plenty of people help out those who are worse off purely because of their religion and that's a plus in my mind. (Yes, I know religion has caused wars in the past and Im not going to write an essay on it)

Archived