What does religion do for you?

_V0RTEX_

(In advance, I'd like to say that I don't mean to offend anyone here)

I'm not sure if its the way I was raised, with a non-religous family and an athiest father, but whenever I hear people praying to this "god" character, I just look at them as ignorant. People try to back it up with coincidences that the religious community declares as miracles and such. I just don't get religion, and why some people are super religious. It makes no sense to me. For all of you religious people out there, what does religion do for you? How has it improved your life and do you TRULY beleive in an all seing "god?"

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love studying it, not as a religious person but as a "soft atheist".

Just seems really interesting to read holy books and crap and hopefully I can keep studying. 

Besides the internet I haven't really seen any negative sides of religion in public and find it's mostly atheists who think they are better for not believing "lies". (Fro.m some rural-ish part of England so it's not very exciting) 

And also It's great to see people who are motivated by religion and their faith keeps them going however there are plenty of ways to do that outside of religion 

For all of you religious people out there

Nothing Really It's Blind Obedience To Something That's Not Real 

Nice shitpost man

Posted · Hidden by puddingkip, June 11, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by puddingkip, June 11, 2015 - No reason given

Nice shitpost man

Being Right Is Apparently Called "Shitposting"

Wrong. Not contributing something noteworthy to a thread is called shitposting. I can only give you the good advice of stopping it before you get a warning.

Oh and sorry for going off topic.

Posted · Hidden by puddingkip, June 11, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by puddingkip, June 11, 2015 - No reason given

shit i did a doublepost. pay no attention to this. read below

Well I was always raised as a Christian, but in my earlier pubescent years, around 11 and 12 I lost faith completely because of how hard middle school was on me and I just felt like nobody was there actually watching over me. Midway through 7th grade I got the mentality that what's the point in NOT having a religion, because no pleasant afterlife if you don't believe in anything, right?

My life miraculously got better. I was failing like three classes and I started to become focused and was getting Bs on my tests, and making decent letter grades and understating the material. I felt happier and focused on what I needed to and I felt like there was a purpose for me to be a better person. At this point I believe God is real but I don't care if he's not because of how much just the idea of him has done for me, if this isn't him

My grandparents were VERY strict Catholics, yet that did not carry over to my mother.

Religion made me really fat since we'd get donuts after church on Sunday, nothing else really.

Midway through 7th grade I got the mentality that what's the point in NOT having a religion, because no pleasant afterlife if you don't believe in anything, right?

Kinda reminds me of Pascal's Wager (idk if this is shitposting)

Kinda reminds me of Pascal's Wager (idk if this is shitposting)

You're fine, it was at least somewhat constructive.

Pascal's wager and Agnosticism are very similar concepts, solid overlap.

Not really calling anyone out but I would also like to point out how you can be agnostic (or gnostic) and atheist at the same time.

Agnosticism is about the possibility of knowing about god's existence (maybe he does exist but there is no physical way of finding out? Or maybe the fact that REAL miracles-suspension of physical laws and NOT the 1 in 999999 chance bs- literally mean they cannot be replicated by man and will never be proven to be true?)

while atheism is the just the lack of belief (usually brought about by lack of evidence).

No, being antagonistic (not to mention being "correct" in only your own mind) for the sake of being antagonistic is shitposting. Also, learn when to capitalize. No one likes when people capitalize every word, and grammatical speaking its incorrect.

As for the question, it's led to the creation and sustation of my extremely good (and kinda elite I guess) Jesuit high school, for which I am really grateful for. It also allows be a load-off in a way from the terror I'd feel for the alternative after death.

I wouldn't say religion, but spirituality gives me security in myself, my family, and the world we live in, and that's something I think that no atheist can ever truly feel. I understand that it can be hard to have faith in something you can't prove that exists, but that is kind of what faith is.

There are three kinds of atheist, one of which that I can respect like Steven Hawkins who believes in the limitlessness of man, in that god hold's people back. Which in some cases, that may be true in that in the field of science, some people are blinded by faith (or lack there of) to skew the evidence in favor of what they believe. Which is an understandable trade off for what they believe is logically/morally right.

Then there are the atheists who have some sort of problem. Either they don't trust god because they say something like "Why does bad things happen to good people," because they lost someone close to them. Not to criticize them, but they are so caught up in grief that blaming god seems to be the only cope with the pain. Then they will look around and see all the horrible things in the world and ask them selves 'why would god let this happen?'. I can't say I know why bad things happen go good people, but I believe that there is a divine reason for suffering.

Then there are the people who don't have any serious problems in life. Sometimes these people have a large ego and they think they are a god in some way. Whether that is with their money, comfort, power, or abundance of pleasure. An example of this is your typical neck beard. Then when shit happens, they fall into of the second category of atheist.

tl;dr God gives me closure in the unexplained and faith that everything will turn out all right in the end.

How has it improved your life and do you TRULY beleive in an all seing "god?"

Studies have shown that religious people are in general more happy.

Religion gives people answers so they don't have to think for themselves.

They "know" [believe that they know] all the answers. That's a huge ego boost.

"I'm right and everyone else's beliefs are wrong" It gives them a sense of superiority.

tl;dr Religion makes people feel good about themselves.

What it does for me, well nothing religion has done nothing for me and I see it as pointless, it's cased more problems than its solved.

Archived