Value of economy

Kuuko-San

Right.

Wanted to get this down in a concise manner;

Does anyone know an ESTIMATE of the CURRENT value of the economy?

Taking into account market prices, and unpriced, this is impossible to get a accurate figure, but a ballpark would be nice.

I'm only asking because I'm writing a article for a online newspaper about virtual currency, and I need a figure.

rough estimate - 60 000 000$

but that can't be right

I don't think it went up 20x within those years.

Ik it's a lot, 3 million a few years ago

but with the god tier unboxes, new effects and just generally MORE stuff being unboxed.

There's no fast and easy way to do this and to do it properly would take days or weeks of gathering information.  Here's what I would do to get an estimate: 

See if you can get the top backpacks list in excel from an admin.  Just sum the value column, now you have a good estimate of how much this economy is worth.  Of course it's not super accurate, but any other way would take you way too long just to obtain one figure. 

I'm sure Backpack.tf has a very rough estimate of how much all register users backpacks are worth and seeing as backpack.tf has millions of registered users, I suppose it's the closest you can get.

Not sure they will share that kind of information though.

There's no fast and easy way to do this and to do it properly would take days or weeks of gathering information.  Here's what I would do to get an estimate: 

See if you can get the top backpacks list in excel from an admin.  Just sum the value column, now you have a good estimate of how much this economy is worth.  Of course it's not super accurate, but any other way would take you way too long just to obtain one figure. 

Not the worst idea. I was really just hoping for a ballpark figure, more than an accurate one, as it is a growing and changing economy getting accuracy would be impossible.

I'm sure Backpack.tf has a very rough estimate of how much all register users backpacks are worth and seeing as backpack.tf has millions of registered users, I suppose it's the closest you can get.

Not sure they will share that kind of information though.

Yeah, I'd guess so. Doubtful they would, though

50M according to this article http://kotaku.com/5869042/analyst-pegs-team-fortress-2-hat-economy-at-50-million It is like 4 years old tho but having a reference is better than no reference.

You'll probs need to use the consumer price index to see how much 50M then would be valued now as well

50M then compared to now, with the amount of effects released and such. Burning TC unboxes ect. I was hoping for a newer value, but thanks for that article, it's useful.

50M according to this article http://kotaku.com/5869042/analyst-pegs-team-fortress-2-hat-economy-at-50-million It is like 4 years old tho but having a reference is better than no reference.

I'm betting it's pretty close to 75M. The value in the top 1M backpacks seems to be around 30-40M. That doesn't count all the value on SCM, unchecked/private backpacks, and bps less than $5 in value (there are surely a lot of these).

You'll probs need to use the consumer price index to see how much 50M then would be valued now as well

Such a vast wealth of knowledge in the comment section

qwwsH0E.png

"I've only owned one unusual which I sold for games, so I'm pretty much an expert"

50M then compared to now, with the amount of effects released and such. Burning TC unboxes ect. I was hoping for a newer value, but thanks for that article, it's useful.

Actually assuming the numbers in the article are correct you can probably get a rough base estimate.

50M in 2011 @30,000 players increasing 1.5M per week (find out how much is entering the economy per player (1.5M/30k))

Look up how many players currently on tf2 and you can get a linear graph from 30,000 players in 2011 to 2015

Calculate how much $ is entering per week from the number of players via graph you just created

Add them up

Then use the consumer price index from 2011 and 2015 to get a updated value.

This value would be a very very rough estimate and it wont account for any unboxed unusuals tho :S

I'm betting it's pretty close to 75M. The value in the top 1M backpacks seems to be around 30-40M. That doesn't count all the value on SCM, unchecked/private backpacks, and bps less than $5 in value (there are surely a lot of these).

75M? That's probably about right, if you're correct about the top 1M (which I'm sure you are)

Cheers

75M? That's probably about right, if you're correct about the top 1M (which I'm sure you are)

Cheers

Well, that's a very rough estimate by taking the median value in the top 100 then top 1000 then top 10,000 then top 100,000 then top 1,000,000 and multiplying by each bin. Took like 2 min to get that. So I'm sure it's +/- 10M on the error.

Also I would argue that the value on the economy is derived from what is actually getting traded around. And I think that value is probably closer to ~30-40M with the other half sitting as "dead" money in inactive bps.

Well, that's a very rough estimate by taking the median value in the top 100 then top 1000 then top 10,000 then top 100,000 then top 1,000,000 and multiplying by each bin. Took like 2 min to get that. So I'm sure it's +/- 10M on the error.

Also I would argue that the value on the economy is derived from what is actually getting traded around. And I think that value is probably closer to ~30-40M with the other half sitting as "dead" money in inactive bps.

That's true. Collector's, players that left, and just people who don't trade contribute without actually contributing, if that makes sense.

75M is probably a good estimate to take, as long as I specify that there's of course a margin of error.

It's scary what a hat can be worth

Archived