Steam Introducing Refunds

Liddojunior

Steam FAQs

It looks like steam is now offering up a way to receive refunds on purchases. It applies to DLC, bundles, and pre-orders. 

You'll have to have less than 2 hours play time, and it's only has a 14 day return period. 

It seems like now with games you find you can't run, play properly you can return them, giving you a risk free way to see if the game can be run on your system. 

It doesn't seem like a way to try out the game, but if you played for an hour and found it was buggy or plain bad you can now return the game. 

It was posted on a status update like an hour ago, but it took Valve way too long to introduce refunds when EA introduced them FASTER than Valve could.

This was introduced months ago, just when sourcerep was created.

It was a thing with the european laws, and afaik it only applies to european players

I wish it would apply to games too. I bought Democracy 3 a while back because I thought it would be fun running my own country. I was horribly mistaken

Seems like a way in the right direction. Though I feel like it'll get abused with pre-orders. idk, we'll just see.

wait, does this apply to preorders? if so i really think this is a step forward for publishers not fucking the consumers if we can just refund it if its not playable.

And i quote. 

Refunds on Pre-Purchased Titles

When you pre-purchase a title on Steam (and have paid for the title in advance), you can request a refund at any time prior to release of that title. The standard 14-day/two-hour refund period also applies, starting on the game’s release date.

my favorite part:
We do not consider it abuse to request a refund on a title that was purchased just before a sale and then immediately rebuying that title for the sale price.

This has happened to a few friends and myself, a few times.

The day before steam-refunds was announced, I JUST told my bro that steamsummer sale should be coming up (June 11th, if I'm not mistaken) & he should wait to buy KillingFloor2 til then... It's in beta and usuaaaaaally beta games are more likely to go on sale EVEN when they've been released recently.

The refund system sounds fair to me but it is still nice from their part setting it up : I guess it is also in their own interest.

This was introduced months ago, just when sourcerep was created.

It was a thing with the european laws, and afaik it only applies to european players

That was actually a seperate change to the subscriber agreement back in March, this thing is a new thing entirely, in fact they've updated the subscriber agreement like 2 days ago to include this new sentence at the end of the section detailing EU customer refund rights: "Valve offers the Steam Refund Policy separate from the EU right of withdrawal described in the preceding sentence."

Valve has just put in place a proper refund system and has applied it to everyone, that is what this change is, not the one from months ago.

I wish it applied to games as well because it will stop developers being paid for some unfinished garbage.

Archived