Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jymotion

Blue Star Test

Rhys13th

I don't think it's completely horrible to judge based on belt color though: If they have a high tier belt, it means they probably know what they are doing and are trustworthy. While I do realize you shouldn't judge completely on the belt, it can still be useful in distinguishing the people who have experience from the people that might be new and/or not know what a suggestion truly is. And I'm not saying if someone doesn't have a colored belt I immediately down-vote.

I think `shenanigan's example was best: They worked hard to get to the level, and it is regulated by admins. Like a trusted official, they got to that high level because of hard work, and they only stay there by hard work.

Jymotion

I don't think it's completely horrible to judge based on belt color though: If they have a high tier belt, it means they probably know what they are doing and are trustworthy. While I do realize you shouldn't judge completely on the belt, it can still be useful in distinguishing the people who have experience from the people that might be new and/or not know what a suggestion truly is. And I'm not saying if someone doesn't have a colored belt I immediately down-vote.

I understand, but my concern is whether people on the side

• vote on the accuracy of the suggestion and its proof.  OR
  • vote on whether or not they think it will pass (trying to have high voting accuracy / rep)

If the second point is true, and people are voting based on the star rather than the proof, then the voting system becomes pointless.

double0me

This is exactly what I'm talking about, people with shiny stars get a lot of upvotes because everybody wants that imaginary REP points. The REP system is flawed and a few ways but it is what keeps people voting. If there was no REP involved or shiny stars would anybody here really be actively voting or making suggestions?

Mr_Crud

You still get rep for downvoting a suggestion when it's closed though, right?

Mr_Crud

I don't think the rep system should be removed, but rather refined.

Jymotion

I don't think the rep system should be removed, but rather refined.

A bit vague.  I would propose keeping everything in place except the colored star next to suggester's names.  The badges and points and colors would still be on the profile, but there wouldn't be any flair to bias voters on the voting page.  Of course, if they recognize the suggester's name, it will still affect it, but I see it as an improvement.  This is coming from someone who has not put in nearly as much work for my yellow star as others have for their blue stars, so I'm curious how opposed to the idea they are.

Jymotion

why is this in general forum ?

does it really matter at all?  the original post mentioned that I wasn't sure where to put it.  Where should backpack.tf specific discussion go if there is no clear suggestion in the OP?

Mr_Crud

Yes taking away the star would be a step in the right direction.

Baloo

This is exactly what I'm talking about, people with shiny stars get a lot of upvotes because everybody wants that imaginary REP points. The REP system is flawed and a few ways but it is what keeps people voting. If there was no REP involved or shiny stars would anybody here really be actively voting or making suggestions?

You just keep proving my point. Hugh did nothing to change your mindset. You still hate blue belts.

Hugh Jazz

Why was it closed? That was the only trade and only one in the market. Can you please stop assuming guys...

Jymotion

Why was it closed? That was the only trade and only one in the market. Can you please stop assuming guys...

1 day old trade when it was suggested.  It just wasn't a very good suggestion.  Take it up with jjjon in private.

this discussion sucks

double0me

You just keep proving my point. Hugh did nothing to change your mindset. You still hate blue belts.

I never said I hate Blue Belts, I'm trying to say that they have easier. They still need proof and what not to get a suggestion accepted but as you can see in the other comments people are willing to just upvote a suggestion cause of a coloured  star. I very well might be wrong here in saying this but if suggestions relied purely on votes and didn't need a mod to accept it, the blue belters would be able to get so many suggestions past with little or shitty proof compared to a person with a white star. We all have UpVoted suggestions without checking cause of a blue star and very few of us (If any) have UpVoted a link without looking at a white stars suggestion.