Blue Star Test

Jymotion

When I was saying that Blue Belts don't need any proof to get anything past I was just kidding, but in reality they can get a suggestion accepted with a fraction of amount of that I need to put to get a suggestion accepted or at least a ton more get upvotes than anybody else with a blue belt would have got if they were to have made the same suggestion.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was saying that Blue Belts don't need any proof to get anything past I was just kidding, but in reality they can get a suggestion accepted with a fraction of amount of that I need to put to get a suggestion accepted or at least a ton more get upvotes than anybody else with a blue belt would have got if they were to have made the same suggestion.

I feel that the 2 main things that influence a suggestion is the name and just having a lot of links. Suggestions have got a ton of votes because it had a lot of proof when the links were not even valid.  

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/9099207 - Got a fair bit of up votes for just showing a lot of links, if you check the links out now you cant find a fair bit of proof of people just recently adding but at the time of this suggestion it only had a few links of proof and I feel that it would have probably ended up getting accepted if i wouldn't have gotten mad and put counterproof and had a mini flame war with the guy 

Did you seriously just quote yourself? No blue belts do not only need a fraction of the proof that other suggesters' have. In fact in all of my suggestion I believe I have more proof than almost anyone would be willing to provide. It would be appreciated if you would refrain from making generalizations.

Not all blue belts are you.

If a blue belt posts a little amount of proof, the average voter will upvote anyway, perhaps not even looking at the proof.

If a white belt does the same the average voter will search himself if the price suggested is truth, possibly gathering counter-proof.

Or, worst case scenario, just go "no proof = downvote"

Not all blue belts are you.

If a blue belt posts a little amount of proof, the average voter will upvote anyway, perhaps not even looking at the proof.

If a white belt does the same the average voter will search himself if the price suggested is truth, possibly gathering counter-proof.

Or, worst case scenario, just go "no proof = downvote"

Upvotes do not equal a pass.

Jazz was just trying to stop the comments like mine saying "Blue Belts don't even need proof to get a suggestion past!" and he was just sticking up for himself and other Blue Belts to show that they still do need to work to get a suggestion past (they have it easier I feel but they still do have to poor proof to pass a suggestion) and I have 100% respect for the guy doing that. Then there are other Blue Belts (Not naming any names *Cough Cough* Baloo *Cough Cough*) that get supper mad at him for just sticking up for himself and all other Major Contributors.

Upvotes do not equal a pass.

I know, I'm complementing my point of 

Blue belts gets you more upvotes

If more upvotes = a higher chance of it being accepted, then yes, it influences. If not, then no.

Jazz was just trying to stop the comments like mine saying "Blue Belts don't even need proof to get a suggestion past!" and he was just sticking up for himself and other Blue Belts to show that they still do need to work to get a suggestion past (they have it easier I feel but they still do have to poor proof to pass a suggestion) and I have 100% respect for the guy doing that. Then there are other Blue Belts (Not naming any names *Cough Cough* Baloo *Cough Cough*) that get supper mad at him for just sticking up for himself and all other Major Contributors.

There's a difference between "sticking up for yourself" and doing ineffective stunts to win a pointless argument.

You weren't proving a point: the only thing you and Hugh were doing was wasting everyone's time.

Finally when people say that blue star = upvote = accepted, I will just show my suggestion.

Oh and I'm sorry I wasted the mods' time. I was just really annoyed.

I dont believe having lots of rep affects anything other than the quantity of upvotes on a good suggestion.

What has more say is how you present the proof, for example, the following suggestion has nice outlined proof but it only takes 5 seconds of clicking on the link to find out it is wrong. But it has a 75% upvote and a mod even upvoted it.

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/513bb9044bd7b8e217000006

The notes have more impact than who you are, from what Ive seen.

Here's a test. http://backpack.tf/vote/id/513dde90ba2536f343000006

I did not put my notes when suggesting. So if you look from the home screen you will see nothing. Proof is there when you click the suggestion. This will show how many people just vote from the home screen without checking the comments. Possibly a bad habit.

This test wasnt that great actually, not so convincing.

You should have posted atleast some links of highballers or lowballers or just shitty proof. So pretty much seeing how far you can get as blue belt with bad/unrelevant proof. Then it would have been a real test

Did you seriously just quote yourself?

think he was trying to edit.  and Baloo, since you seem to bit taking this somewhat personally and since I started the discussion, I just want to say that I agree that Blue Belt users put in just as much work with their suggestions (if not more) than others and didn't mean to imply they don't.  My intention with this thread was more to discuss the reappearing popular opinion that votes don't matter or that voters vote for what they think will win, rather than what they think is correct.

Here's a test. http://backpack.tf/vote/id/513dde90ba2536f343000006

I did not put my notes when suggesting. So if you look from the home screen you will see nothing. Proof is there when you click the suggestion. This will show how many people just vote from the home screen without checking the comments. Possibly a bad habit.

So what's your hypothesis here?  That you'll get a bunch of downvotes from people who don't open it, or that you'll still get upvotes for your blue belt?  You can't really call things "tests" when there are factors that fudge the results and there is no real hypothesis/control.

Can we please stop with the "blue star test" suggestions? By doing so, you're not proving anything. First of all, it's not even an experiment, as said by many others already. Secondly, a blue star is earned, meaning that in the past you have showed good proof for suggestions, and have gotten them past. It makes users more trusting of what you have to say and how you think a price should be. A real-world analogy would be that a reknown noble laureate professor claims to have found the cure to cancer, but is actually not telling the truth. In such a case, that person will get approval from the general public who don't know about his "research", but among those of academia, he will look like a fool and lose a lot of reputation. People will end up trusting him less, and he will have caused damage to the validity of his statements and future arguments.  However, having a blue star in itself is not a free pass to get a suggestion accepted. The admins look over suggestions, to see if they are valid. Usually, the voters are pretty consistent with what the admins find a suggestion to be. We listen to voters opinions too, and if a suggestion is 50/50, we take the voting into account for accepting or denying a suggestion. We need to have really good reasoning to accept a negative vote score suggestion, or deny a positive vote score suggestion. In examples like this, the voters think "Oh, I thought the old price was good, but maybe he's got a point too" and decide to upvote, even if the suggestion is bad. You're not doing a service to yourself or the voters like this. Also remember, troll suggestions are bannable.

You just proved my point. Nothing has changed, you still have the same bias towards blue belts as you already had. Hugh's suggestion did nothing to stop people from having ill-founded ideas about backpack.tf and its frequent users.

To be honest I usually just automatically up-vote suggestions form orange or blue belts. If I see a white belt suggestion that's when I check the proof.

I think that this is now getting off topic... you guys could try sorting it out by PMs. But, seeing as how that's unlikely, wait here while I get the popcorn.

Ya you're right I've seen Skyline :P But my point still stands; If there's a colorful star, I usually up-vote unless I'm particularly skeptical of the suggestion.

Ya you're right I've seen Skyline :P But my point still stands; If there's a colorful star, I usually up-vote unless I'm particularly skeptical of the suggestion.

in which case, you are part of the problem.

I don't think it's completely horrible to judge based on belt color though: If they have a high tier belt, it means they probably know what they are doing and are trustworthy. While I do realize you shouldn't judge completely on the belt, it can still be useful in distinguishing the people who have experience from the people that might be new and/or not know what a suggestion truly is. And I'm not saying if someone doesn't have a colored belt I immediately down-vote.

Archived