The price specified is too high compared to the value of your backpack.

rawburt

Right, so, I'm pretty new to Unusual price suggesting. I've submitted two and had one accepted.

Anyway, I was writing up a new one, in my opinion, it was a lot better than the other two because it's new and had bounced around peoples' backpacks quickly from sales. I had finished typing down all the proof, links, and blah blahs, all 2862 characters. I valued the hat at 5-5.7 buds.

BUT

Just as I clicked "Save", this came up.

The price specified is too high compared to the value of your backpack. The maximum value you can submit is 4.15 buds (1x your highest backpack value).

Thankfully, I had also saved the suggestion to Microsoft Word.

But. The point is: Why is this? Must I be rich to help out the TF2 economic community?

Or is this some penalty for having a suggestion rejected?

And, is there any other way to submit, like, having a Moderator proofread, or going Premium, or something?

I do not want to wait until I have 5.7 buds to make this price suggestion.

Thanks. c:

- Rawburt

There's a limit you can suggest based on your bp value, since if you're going to suggest the price for a 10 bud unusual, you should have at least some experience with high tier unusual. (you can get the multiplier up to 5 times what your BP is worth).

There's a limit you can suggest based on your bp value, since if you're going to suggest the price for a 10 bud unusual, you should have at least some experience with high tier unusual. (you can get the multiplier up to 5 times what your BP is worth).

Yeah, I figured that part out.

But how do I bump up that multiplier?

Yeah, I figured that part out.

But how do I bump up that multiplier?

How is the multiplier calculated, and how can I get a bigger multiplier when doing price suggestions?

The multiplier is very simple and was created to allow people with more knowledge about the market to participate in higher price suggestions. It's currently calculated with the formula: contribution points divided by 250.

There is a bottom and top limit. The minimum multiplier will always be 1, and the maximum multiplier one person can get is 5.

In other words, if you have 500 contribution points, your multiplier will be 2. If your backpack's all-time highest value has been 1 bud, this means you can now suggest a price of up to 2 buds, and vote on items valued up to 2 buds.

Source

Edit:

Based on your suggestion accuracy of 44% overall and 50% the past two months, I would think it'd be best if you actually practiced with items in your backpack value's constraints rather than already trying to reach beyond since it seems as though you need to learn how to better your pricing skills in general.

However, if you truly wish for your proof not to go to waste due to the time constraints of when proof is actually viable on backpack.tf, then feel free to contact any moderators or active suggesters with more experience in order for them to evaluate your proof and use it in order to post a suggestion.

But. The point is: Why is this? Must I be rich to help out the TF2 economic community?

You don't need to be "rich," it's just that this policy ensures that new users cannot make troll/invalid suggestions. It's a time saver really, because otherwise the site would be flooded with people that have >10 ref backpacks opening suggestions for Bill's being 1.33 ref and the like.

You don't need to be "rich," it's just that this policy ensures that new users cannot make troll/invalid suggestions. It's a time saver really, because otherwise the site would be flooded with people that have >10 ref backpacks opening suggestions for Bill's being 1.33 ref and the like.

Uh...that's a poor use of an example.

This is a measure taken to prevent trolls from suggesting above their backpack value, not below it. I'm fairly certain that at least 95% of the userbase could make a suggestion for Bill's Hats to be 1.33 refined. This measure doesn't do anything to prevent people from suggesting something as low as that. It does, however, prevent someone from opening a suggestion for a Pomson 6000 to be 6000 buds because it has "6000" in the name, so that should be its price. Regardless of this fact, this was not intended to be a safeguard against troll suggestions since, as you inadvertently pointed out, people can still make troll suggestions for items regardless of their backpack values, they just won't be able to give them outrageously high prices.

The real intent, as Awesome McCoolName has already mentioned, is to allow people to stick with the price level they know. If someone has a backpack worth a bud from flipping a bunch of stranges, then how are they supposed to understand unusual prices and go about pricing a 15 bud unusual? Its just a simple measure to try and ensure that those knowledgeable in the area are the ones allowed to make suggestions. While it is not a perfect system, it does indeed help. Not to mention that this backpack value cap also applies to voting on suggestions. It would make no sense for someone with a backpack worth 10 keys to vote on an unusual worth 40 buds, and thus the reason why backpack value restraints are put in place.

While it is always brought up that there are exceptions to the rule, Roller and Pyroman (who I think still are a little knowledgeable when it comes to suggesting), it is more often the case that people with a certain backpack value know more about how to value more expensive items.

-----

Examples of when someone cannot recognize a quicksell or undervalued unusual because they don't know tiers:

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/51f7ddad4bd7b84906000007

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/5206f0244bd7b8940c000006

I'm sure there are others.

I personally hate this. I had near-perfect proof for pricing an Unusual and then this rule popped up.

I get the rationale behind it, but it kinda frustrates me. :L

Archived