Living forever

The Radiated Banana

Watch the video, it has a lot of science and stuff in it.

Do you think living forever is in the near future?

Even if it is, I wouldn't want to.

Why not? Are you religious?

I'm not religious, so from what I think, after I die, there is nothing, and the idea scares me to the bone

Everyone will die eventually, even if you can medically prolong their life indefinitely.  You might assume that one could live forever if only we had the technology, but even if we did, it's only a matter of time until a person's body becomes destroyed or damaged beyond the possibility of repair.  If you had an infinite amount of time, eventually it will happen, even if you were extraordinarily careful to avoid it.

I'd still want to prolong my life anyway.

Everyone will die eventually, even if you can medically prolong their life indefinitely.  You might assume that one could live forever if only we had the technology, but even if we did, it's only a matter of time until a person's body becomes destroyed or damaged beyond the possibility of repair.  If you had an infinite amount of time, eventually it will happen, even if you were extraordinarily careful to avoid it.

I'd still want to prolong my life anyway.

Well yeah i guess it isnt exactly forever, but it is a really really really really long time.

The video showed things like synthetic organs that can be grown in the lab and nanobots that is more efficient than our current blood and all that. Those reduce virus and all that by a butt load right :T

I'm not religious, so from what I think, after I die, there is nothing, and the idea scares me to the bone

I'm not religious and I'd hate to live forever, I believe a good 70 - 100 year life is more than enough. If we could live forever all that would happen is even more over-population, a superior race of older people (more knowledge, more experience) etc etc. Nothing good can come out of it.

I'm not religious and I'd hate to live forever, I believe a good 70 - 100 year life is more than enough. If we could live forever all that would happen is even more over-population, a superior race of older people (more knowledge, more experience) etc etc. Nothing good can come out of it.

Yeah I acknowledge over population, but I fear death far beyond anything else I could imagine. Being the selfish human I am, I rather live forever and deal with overpopulation than die and slow down the problem of over population

/thread

Yeah, I wouldn't want to prolong it. I think that an important part of life (ironically) is coming to terms with and accepting the reality of death. Without that, we've never truly matured fully.

'Anything that has no end, has no meaning'  

Someone probably said that, and if not, I'm taking it. It's like using cheats in games, it takes away the point and the whole meaning of limits, which ruins it in the long run

'Anything that has no end, has no meaning'  

Someone probably said that, and if not, I'm taking it. It's like using cheats in games, it takes away the point and the whole meaning of limits, which ruins it in the long run

death is what makes life so precious. i agree.

but i cant bear the thought of death :/ dunno why it scares me so much

It depends on if you stop aging, and if you do, what age you stop at. i would probably choose to live forever if i was relatively young at the stop-aging-age. But if i don't stop aging, or aging stops at an old age, i wouldn't want to live forever.

It depends on if you stop aging, and if you do, what age you stop at. i would probably choose to live forever if i was relatively young at the stop-aging-age. But if i don't stop aging, or aging stops at an old age, i wouldn't want to live forever.

Hmmm.  I'd say somewhere around 18 years old to your mid twenties?  That's where I think the aging process really starts.  You can't stop death completely, but it's the cumulative process of aging that's responsible for making you susceptible to all kinds of potentially life threatening conditions.

I wouldn't mind being stuck in that age range physically for the rest of my life.  Mmmm... or maybe I'd want to be closer to an early to mid 30's look.  Just so I'd have that mixed appearance of youthful but seasoned.

If living forever, or at least prolonging life, is in the near future I don't know what to think. I personally don't see the point in prolonging your life, sure you get to live longer but you'll lose loved ones along the way.

If living forever, or at least prolonging life, is in the near future I don't know what to think. I personally don't see the point in prolonging your life, sure you get to live longer but you'll lose loved ones along the way.

Presumably they'd have access to the same life prolonging benefits.  Death and loss would still be a part of life though, as it is now.

Hmmm.  I'd say somewhere around 18 years old to your mid twenties?  That's where I think the aging process really starts.  You can't stop death completely, but it's the cumulative process of aging that's responsible for making you susceptible to all kinds of potentially life threatening conditions.

I wouldn't mind being stuck in that age range physically for the rest of my life.  Mmmm... or maybe I'd want to be closer to an early to mid 30's look.  Just so I'd have that mixed appearance of youthful but seasoned.

if the age you stay at would be from 17-25 i would choose to live. any 26-35, i would have to think hard and long. any older, and rip me

This thread reminds me of these two.

1600px-Bloodbrothers6.jpg

I feel like people living forever would only result in negative outcomes. Personally, I don't want to live past the age when I can no longer do this without immense amounts of physical and mental help. 

Not aging sounds totally science fiction to me. We're made to age. Eventually, we reach our expiration dates, so to speak. We already outlive how long we're supposed to live. Seriously, the fact that people can live to their 80s, 90s and even 100s is amazing. We should be thankful for this.

Eventually, there will be a time where the universe itself will cease to exist. Everything dies eventually. It sounds morbid, though it's true. 

death is what makes life so precious. i agree.

but i cant bear the thought of death :/ dunno why it scares me so much

Oh man, death scares the crap out of me. If I assume there is no afterlife, the idea that I will lack existence is incomprehensible- I won't feel because I simply won't think. Despite this, I think that death is still important. We can't run forever.

Hypothetically even if there were capabilities/possibilities to preserve a human's life forever without disintegration, it would be more unpleasant than death.

Aside from the obvious people with established close relationships dying & robbing you of your humanity statements, desensitization would ultimately be your downfall. It's in human nature to get bored of doing to same thing over & over again. There will be a point in an eternal lifespan where nothing would give you joy to the extent of it being a "living hell".

Oh & you know...The sun exploding in about 4-5 billion years so if you plan on living in space being frozen 24/7 (if you somehow remain in-tact after the sun engulfs the earth) but that's another story.

Short run, yeah it's awesome beans but not worth the consequences. 

There will be a point in an eternal lifespan where nothing would give you joy to the extent of it being a "living hell".

Well then at that point, you can choose to die.  Meantime, YAY, MORE LIFE!  It's hard to say no to more life.  Most people's actions on a daily basis are geared towards the goal of continuing to experience life already, right?

However, if you don't have the option to die, boy it's gonna suck when the heat death of the universe kicks in.  That's gonna be lonely.  And boring.  You may even forget that you exist at all, given enough time.  And who know, maybe space itself will rip apart eventually.  And then what?  I would not want that fate.

Well then at that point, you can choose to die.  Meantime, YAY, MORE LIFE! 

I considered that possibility but that would be prolonging a lifespan rather than living forever which pretty much is cherry picking the benefits from both sides defeating the purpose.

I don't think living forever is capable to humans regardless of medical/scientific advancements. Even if they could keep a body perfectly fresh throughout the centuries, one way or another it will be disembodied. Death is an inescapable natural part of life.

I would never want to live forever, as watching the world die around me would be too much.

Society changing, Parents dying, friends and siblings dying, heck even buildings from my "youth" like my high school destroyed would be too much.

I would never want to live forever, as watching the world die around me would be too much.

Society changing, Parents dying, friends and siblings dying, heck even buildings from my "youth" like my high school destroyed would be too much.

dude that shit gonna happen in a normal lifespan

dude that shit gonna happen in a normal lifespan

Yes, but in an extended lifespan more events like that would occur.

Archived