Unusual pricing must be taken much more seriously than now

Crabislav

Now the question that bothers me all the time I see a suggestion for a unusual: any proof of low-end value? For example, suggested price is 13.5-16 buds, according only to the offers the item received. Was any of them sold for 13.5? For 14? Or for 14.5? None? Why suggesting such price then? The price must not be ANY lower than any of these. These price ranges are senseless and never supported with proof, especially the low-end values. Moderators MUST take suggestions more strictly than anything else. Blindly accepting them because "it's a step in the right direction" or "it's somewhat close" is plain dumb. If I was a moderator, I'd close every suggestion being at least 0.5 buds away off the original price. People are afraid to offer anything even a little above the low-end value because they think it'll be difficult to resell for a higher amount. If you're suggestng a new price for an unusual, do a proper research and only then make one (check previous owners, look at what they sold their hat for and only then suggest a price. If the hat was sold for 18 in unusuals which worth around 14 now, it doesn't mean that the unusual you're making a suggestion for should be 14. It should be solid 18.). Linking 5 trades and making a suggestion based on rejected offers is not how you suggest a price for an unusual. 9/10 unusual suggestions are made exactly this way. And almost every single one is accepted just because "it's better than the previous range". Unusuals are not craft hats that might be sold for +-1 scrap more/less than the spreadsheet price. Thanks. 

interesting idea, however there is a reason why we might accept one that is ' close enough ' Surely a fairly accurate price is better then a outdated one. Overtime someone will complete this proper suggestion, but in the time waiting for this, other suggestions are needed to keep the website up-to-date.

It's much easier said than done.  Not many people would like to watch 4-5 trades for what could be months just to be able to suggest a price.  If the outpost function to look at completed trades would have worked properly then this would be a whole different story.  (nothing against the devs of outpost, some things just don't work right, not trying to be disrespectful at all)

Also, what time frame would you consider too long when you say "check previous owners, look at what they sold their hat for and only then suggest a price."  If 2 month old unusual prices are able to be bumped, then I wouldn't expect anyone to go back 2 months in the history and pull the sell price from there.

Could you elaborate on "If the hat was sold for 18 in unusuals which worth around 14 now, it doesn't mean that the unusual you're making a suggestion for should be 14. It should be solid 18." ?  Do you mean that the combination of the unusuals at the time of the trade equaled 18, and are now valued at 14?  If so, how are we supposed to know what the price used to be?

[...]And almost every single one is accepted just because "it's better than the previous range".

I'd rather see something less wrong than one that is completely wrong, wouldn't you?

I'd rather see something less wrong than one that is completely wrong, wouldn't you?

Yeah, wouldn't you rather a step in the right direction too? instead of what the price had been previously? Anyways, someone can always change them to make them more accurate ;D

Yeah, wouldn't you rather a step in the right direction too? instead of what the price had been previously? Anyways, someone can always change them to make them more accurate ;D

It's better to make a perfect suggestion instead of several inaccurate ones.

overtime!

Its a price guide. Prices are rough. If a person does not understand this they should stay away from unusuals. A change in the right direction is still good.

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/510baa97ba25368b18000002

why dont you actually make a better range on your own stuff before complaining?

It was long ago. And still this was accepted. Now my mind has changed. I hope I won't have to answer stupid questions anymore.

If you can go around making all of them then be everyone's guest. This is an user-made content that doesn't get any kind of reward, people are giving their best already.

If you can go around making all of them then be everyone's guest. This is an user-made content that doesn't get any kind of reward, people are giving their best already.

That's the only reason I applied for a mod status. Just so the unusuals could have solid prices. 

That's the only reason I applied for a mod status. Just so the unusuals could have solid prices. 

You have absolutely no business pricing unusuals if you think they have solid prices. 

You have absolutely no business pricing unusuals if you think they have solid prices. 

By saying "solid" I meant that the prices for unusual should have no ranges. Of course prices for them change throughout the time. Read my first post again.

and?

I just wanted to emphasise the true statement. :P

I agree, most suggestions are biased toward the buyers low offers. A good suggestion is fair to both sides of the transaction.

I disagree about closing suggestions that are "steps in the right direction" I'd much rather have stuff that is closer than things that are way off.

EXCEPT there is a big problem with nudging a price closer to its actual price...

You get rid of the "Old price" warning tag 

The problem with that: 

> Suggesters don't know to look into it

>Buyers/sellers assume its accurate (without checking, like they might have if they saw it was old)

There is no perfect unusual suggestion.  That thought alone shows that you don't understand the real problem with unusual pricing.  The real problem is that people think unusuals are set in stone and act like all the other items out there.  Unusuals need some range in their SUGGESTED value because of all the variables that come into play.  Every proof I have ever seen has holes in it.  I have seen proof that showed an accepted offer but the trade never actually happened.  Even if you show me a trade that was accepted, and that the items exchanged hands, you still never know what the final negotiation was between the two parties.  I have bought quite a few unusuals from friends and the only way to see the prices would be to go into my trade history.  Since everyone can't go into my trade history, its damn near impossible to ever know what that unusual sold for.  Understanding that unusual values are subjective and not set in stone will get you way further than relying on one source for your pricing. 

Archived