Do You Believe In Affirmative Action?

Black Dynamite

(Basically what affirmative action is giving minorities an advantage in the hiring process solely because of their

race not because of their superior skills in the workplace forcing employers to reject whites and asians from employment 

who are actually more qualified for the job instead hiring a minority solely because of their race not because they're more qualified for the

job.) I don't believe in affirmative action because all it really does is keep qualified whites and 

asians from being hired from jobs solely for the fact they're not a minority such as black or Hispanic.

Declining someone from a job they're qualified for the simple fact they're not a minority is just as

bad as declining a qualified black person from a job such as teaching simply because that person is black.

The only real reason anyone deserves a job is because they are qualified for it race, gender, or beliefs

shouldn't take a role in the hiring process if someone is eligible to be hired the only fact which matters is the person in question

is qualified to do the job needed of them not which race they are. Also if you were an employer for a major company

wouldn't you want to hire people the most qualified for the job rather than hiring people solely because of the race?

So. Reverse Racism, in a way.

With less on discrimination, and more on, "You can't have this job because you're white, and he's black"

No, that's a terrible idea.

Its stupid, but people complain about it for wrong reasons. Example: Guy with 3.0 GPA applies to a college, but a minority with 3.2 GPA applies, the minority gets selected and the other person gets angry.

Nononononononono kill it. There is no reason to have racial or gender quotas for school or work. The best get the best, no matter what skin color they are or if they have a penis or not.

Just to note, it is illegal in the US to make selections based on a quota. Affirmative Action simply indicates that race plays a role in whatever selection process. While a generalization, a persons skin color does have a lot to do with their culture. By regarding race in the hiring process, groups that have been discriminated against can be given a small boost so that one day their culture can inherit the same degree of hope that white America can take for granted. 

Its not a perfect system but it can be argued that it does more public good that wrong. Until everyone in the US has the same opportunities and race does not give someone a inherit disadvantage, affirmative action has its place.

Just to note, it is illegal in the US to make selections based on a quota. Affirmative Action simply indicates that race plays a role in whatever selection process. While a generalization, a persons skin color does have a lot to do with their culture. By regarding race in the hiring process, groups that have been discriminated against can be given a small boost so that one day their culture can inherit the same degree of hope that white America can take for granted. 

Its not a perfect system but it can be argued that it does more public good that wrong. Until everyone in the US has the same opportunities and race does not give someone a inherit disadvantage, affirmative action has its place.

Nope you're wrong a lot of white and asian people have been turned down

from jobs they're qualified for solely because companies NEED to hire a

certain amount of minorities under the law even if they're not qualified to

work at that job discriminating against whites and asians in the process

The only real reason anyone deserves a job is because they are qualified for it. Race, gender, or beliefs shouldn't take a role in the hiring process.

The only real reason anyone deserves a job is because they are qualified for it. Race, gender, or beliefs shouldn't take a role in the hiring process.

The whole idea here is that people with different racial backgrounds do not have an equal footing in life to begin with. Affirmative action attempts to give people a boost if they are part of a culture that has been historically discriminated against and is still affected by its past. AA is a method that people use to try and accelerate diversity. In this case, the issue isn't getting the job done... its trying to make our society a bit more fair. When everyone has equal opportunities then we can treat everyones achievements as equal.

Everyone should have an equal opportunity, based upon their skills/qualifications.

It makes more sense that jobs should go to those who are most qualified to do them.  Meritocracy.  We all benefit this way.  People who are better qualified should not lose job opportunities because employers are required to meet a diversity quota.  What would you rather have?  Would you rather have someone doing a job for you that was the most qualified out of all the applicants, or would you rather have someone less skilled because you were required to hire them by law instead of someone else, based solely on their ethnicity?  It seems pretty obvious to me what the answer to that is.

The idea of forcing people to meet diversity quotas presupposes a society that is hostile to it, and it leads to some people being hired who are less suited for a job than what the employer would have been able to hire without being forced to pick someone else.  By focusing on ethnicity rather than qualifications, the law is itself racist, and it creates resentment and animosity.  In other words, it causes the very things that it is supposed to be against.  It's insane.

So no, I am not in support of affirmative action and I think the whole concept is highly racist.

http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/10/5-things-to-know-about-affirmative-action/

Point 5 definitively states that racial quotas are illegal in the US. In whatever case, affirmative action is still not about hiring someone solely because of their skin color, its about giving them a slight advantage.

That is what I would consider to be the backbone of affirmative action.  I really don't see how it's enforceable without it.  It's interesting to note that companies are still doing this in europe, and I think I even heard recently of intel announcing a self-imposed quota, but my memory is a bit fuzzy on that.

Maybe I should download more RAM...

edit: here we go... http://time.com/3657636/intel-300-million-diversity-pledge/

So apparently no specific quotas were stated, but I'm sure they have some figures that they have tossed around internally.  Given what you've posted above, I'm starting to wonder about the legality of it.  Perhaps that's one reason they did not announce any specific figures.  Another reason might be that they're not entirely confident in their success, since afaik women have not traditionally been interested in jobs in technology.  This may also be why they chose to say that they wanted to "attract" more women and minorities, as a lack of interest itself may be a significant issue to overcome.

This also makes me curious as to exactly what kinds of incentives they plan to offer, and if they will at all be fair to white men who actually wanted to be in the field to start with and didn't need any sort of bribery to coax them over.

Archived