Chemistry Set Prices

Tacodus

If I'm unclear, or you'd like to read more about chemistry sets, please:

There shouldn't be a single listed price on backpack.tf for "Chemistry Set"'s.  That's too broad, and not even correct.

There are many different variations of chemistry sets.  If this was a single item with varying inputs for the same yield, that would be one thing, but chemistry sets aren't all one specific item, yielding one specific resuly, and therefore all kinds should either all be priced differently, or not have a single misleading price at all.  Lots of people aren't informed on how pricing on backpack.tf works, with the ranges.  Putting a price on a single group of items is misleading, and shouldn't be done.

Assigning Chemistry sets a single price, for example, would be like assigning all strange parts a single price.  Even if it covered the wide spectrum from .33 to 11 keys.

Apologies, I think I posted this in the wrong section before...  In general, please just forgive me if I've done something wrong.  I'm new to the forums.  Not the site.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Valve sure made a mess of this one:

1: Not only are there the factors of WHICH chem set it is:

ie: Bird of aberdeen might be more wanted than a teddy chem set. And that's the price difference I believe you are talking about.

2: The main confusion is:  If my recipe is cheap should that make it (the specific chem set) cost more (to balance the price with more expensive sets).

Maybe. BUT. They are pretty random. If a cheap set crafts for 1 key and an expensive one crafts for 20 keys, should a cheap set cost 20 keys and an expensive (exp to craft) one cost 1 key? That way they both cost 21 keys to craft.

recipies I've seen::

a- 7 weapons and a strange bonesaw (was my recipe- the one I bought anyway) [i paid almost 2 keys for everything including bird -being generous to friend for weaps]

b- 20 hats (some new, some old, maybe 1.3 Ref each - cost about 4-5 keys)

c- random weapons and a strange festive sniper rifle that costs 20 keys.... (off top of my head)

So, does group 2 get averaged, making them approx 10 keys? Or do the strange festive chem sets just get set aside as crate/collector items. Which brings prices down, but only because people are smart and refuse to craft those expensive weaps?

And once they are crafted....

a whole new can o worms.

Does the community average the prices of group 2 when buying a strangifier? Do they refuse to pay high prices because some are cheap? Does the price of strange bonesaws go up to match that of strange festive rifles because of the recipe (very doubtful but they will go up some)?

If a strangifier is added to a bird:

Does the level count? craftable? paint?

---------

and forgot to mention you have to click 5 links from trade sites to get to someones inventory through steam to see recipe when trying to trade

I'm glad these new items aren't so "play for you" with the prices, and actually benefits people who go outta their way to learn the chem system, get a cheap recipe for a good hat, and sell it.

He offered to sell me it for 4 keys on my bp buying trade. BTW, its about as shitty as it gets, its a camera beard chem set which requires a SF RL.

I have one that only needs 10 sandwiches and 1 s knife for the beard but yeah, some r really bad.

I have one that only needs 10 sandwiches and 1 s knife for the beard but yeah, some r really bad.

I'd buy that!  :3

My point is, it needs to be taken off the pricelist.  Too many variables!

I'd buy that!  :3

My point is, it needs to be taken off the pricelist.  Too many variables!

Its not on the pricelist. 

I have noticed that my sets have a number on them. Its too small for me to read on my screen atm. At first I thought it was a series number but it could be a unique I'd number also.

I have noticed that my sets have a number on them. Its too small for me to read on my screen atm. At first I thought it was a series number but it could be a unique I'd number also.

I don't see a number anywhere on them...

What I'm also wondering about is how you going to price unusual stranges, Genuine stranges, and Vintage stranges.

This part will confuse everyone when looking up their price

What I'm also wondering about is how you going to price unusual stranges, Genuine stranges, and Vintage stranges.

I can see Strangified unusuals being worth the same as their normal counterparts. Paints and tags add no value to them and Halloween spells don't add too much value either.

Fill

I don't see a number anywhere on them...

I saw it from bp view while in game.

We need to price the strangefier and use that to apply a bonus

What that is is a counter showing how many of the required items you have.

So, if it takes 10 total ingredients and you have 8 of them, it'll display 8/10.

What that is is a counter showing how many of the required items you have.

So, if it takes 10 total ingredients and you have 8 of them, it'll display 8/10.

Nice.

We need to price the strangefier and use that to apply a bonus

*Derp* 

didn't realize there was an intermediary between the chem set and the strange item...Assumed you put all the ingredients and the item together and got the s. item all from the chem set...

Woops. 

*Derp* 

didn't realize there was an intermediary between the chem set and the strange item...Assumed you put all the ingredients and the item together and got the s. item all from the chem set...

Woops.

Right now I am trying to figure out where the avg price will be. Most are based on the strange required to complete the set. The mercs is based on a combination of craft hats.

The Merc ISN'T based on a bunch of craft hats.

They are all RANDOM. Every recipe (each item) can be 20 craft hats, or 10 cheap weapons, or a strange festive...

Makes no difference what the S. item is.

So far people seem to be all over the board on these and don't understand the basic concept on crafting/pricing.

Been trying to sell a summer shades strangifier on trade servers and I keep getting/wut is?

The Merc ISN'T based on a bunch of craft hats.

They are all RANDOM. Every recipe (each item) can be 20 craft hats, or 10 cheap weapons, or a strange festive...

Makes no difference what the S. item is.

So far people seem to be all over the board on these and don't understand the basic concept on crafting/pricing.

Been trying to sell a summer shades strangifier on trade servers and I keep getting/wut is?

The only metcs I have seen has a list of hats, generally craftable, in order to make them. Btw, Team Captains are actually craft hats. All the other ones seem to need weapons and mostly one strange. I am interested in how the market will react when cheaper sets have been sold.

Also, yes, I find that many people in trade servers seem oblivious to what's happening.

umm, what would this one cost?

Summer Shades Strangifier Chemistry Set
e3f595a92552da3d664ad00277fad2107345f743
Team Fortress 2
Level 5 Recipe
This item has a set of inputs that, once fulfilled, will
reward you with what's listed in its outputs.

The following are the inputs that must be fulfilled.
The Force-A-Nature x 5
The Warrior's Spirit x 1
The Bushwacka x 1
The Loose Cannon x 1
The Equalizer x 1
Strange Silver Botkiller Wrench Mk.I x 1

You will receive all of the following outputs once all of the inputs are fulfilled.
Summer Shades Strangifier

umm, what would this one cost?

Summer Shades Strangifier Chemistry Set
e3f595a92552da3d664ad00277fad2107345f743
Team Fortress 2
Level 5 Recipe
This item has a set of inputs that, once fulfilled, will

reward you with what's listed in its outputs.

The following are the inputs that must be fulfilled.
The Force-A-Nature x 5
The Warrior's Spirit x 1
The Bushwacka x 1
The Loose Cannon x 1
The Equalizer x 1
Strange Silver Botkiller Wrench Mk.I x 1

You will receive all of the following outputs once all of the inputs are fulfilled.
Summer Shades Strangifier

Price of Strange Summer Shades (7-9 Keys)-2.55 Ref-Summer Shades (4 Keys)-(gift wrap?)

So, 2.5~3.5 Keys?

edit 9-5-13:  changed market quantities and prices

edit: 9 -6-13: added pomson crate info, price of veil went up due to market quantity/prices

edit: 9-7- 13 ::prices are still up/down daily this is just mid day. prices updte

Did notice today that there is a 'chemistry 101' tut up on steam now.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=173710151

Do they need tiers???  This is how I see them, have been messing with them quite a bit.

Godlike:

Merc Pride - Bumped this up. The evidence points to this being ONLY a HATS craft recipe. They all seem to require 18 hats. So I averaged it at 1.5 Ref per hat (some are cheap, some nice). That makes it 27 ref/6 refine per key/ 4.5 keys.  We're also looking at probably days of work to round up the hats required.  I see one trade asking 8 keys. market has 4 at $14

Market cost is 6.5 keys (keys bought from market), strangifier alone. There are a lot of chem sets but at these prices...

[Meet the Stats lists  112 S. Mercs]

Pomson -  very few exist. Only weapon strangifier. (not counting bacon grease).

[Meet the Stats lists  106 S.Pomsons]

Just realized that pomson strangifiers are ONLY in the Select reserve Crate #60 . So it is very much like bacon grease.

The crates are selling for (58 @) $13 on market. The pomson strangifiers are selling for (7@) $25.

trades at tf20p- are 10 keys

Robro - all class misc, decent. market has about 5 at $11... just bumped up to Godly. WHY? Because the only cheap set i found on market was $12. . Seems not only rare but pretty much expensive weaps. cheapest recipe I found is about 3.5 keys, hard find.

[Meet the Stats lists  160 S.Robros]

High:

Archimedes - Seems pretty rare. Have seen very few for trade/market. good med misc. Can't say for sure on numbers but it seems like that makes this high tier. only 7 on market starting at $11.80

[Meet the Stats lists  141 S.Archimedes]

just sold one for 6 key 1 ref (9-5-13), didn't take a screeny but wutev

Medium tier:

(have sold these for 3.5-4 keys each)

Veil - everyones favorite sniper misc, unusual variants . market has 8 starting at $5.8

[Meet the Stats lists  573 S.Veils] - a lot but popular

Summer Shades - One of the best all class misc. market has 15 starting at $7.3 - go for 3.5 pretty easy

[Meet the Stats lists  699 S.Robros]

Sore Eyes - well liked pyro misc. market has 5 at $5.2

[Meet the Stats lists  328 S.SoreEyes]

Teddy - the little rascal that started the whole 'pets' thing is hanging in at a tough Mid range level. 10 on market at $5.75

[Meet the Stats lists  147 S.Teddys]  - I have seen very few chem sets up for trade

All Father - multi class (soly heavy). Seem to be very well liked (not by me), asked prices are high. may be a little more rare? I hate to put this high tier but i don't know. market has 15 at $8.25

[Meet the Stats lists  586 S.AllFather] - I dropped this a teir now that I see how many there are

Bonk Boy - well liked scout misc, unusual variant. a lot of them, not real easy to sell. market 6 at $3.80 - sell for 2.5 easy

[Meet the Stats lists  222 S.Bonks]

FDU - well like soly misc. market has 8 at $4

[Meet the Stats lists  402 S.FDU]

low-mid:

Bird man  - One of my all time favorite Misc. led the way for all birds. Lot's of them trade/market. Tough to sell. market 30 at $2

[Meet the Stats lists  868 S.Aberdeen]

Camera beard - first misc evar! Still, there are millions of them, not really popular. Lot's of strangifiers cheap. market 9 @ $2.89

[Meet the Stats lists  127 S.Cameras] - I think there are a lot of chems, just people are afraid to craft use/hard sell?

gutter tier:

Toss proof Towel - worst heavy misc evar? Never see them worn. people don't like. Ton's for sale very cheap on market. 21 @1.90

Hate to say gutter but I had a hell of a time selling a regular towel at anything above 1.33 when I crafted one when it was a new item.

[Meet the Stats lists  269 S.Towels]

-------

Seems Valve may have implemented a naming fix.

On the market you can search 'Strangifier Summer' and bring up ONLY strangifiers and chem sets for Summer shades. The Strangifiers are just named Strangifier and have the icon of the item on the bottle.

The Chem sets are in two groups. 'Chem sets'  (all Summer shades) and 'Summer Shades Chem Sets'. So either they were given names or the new listings just have the full name.

Either way the cheap ones in both categories all have high recipe prices so I think it's only a schema name thing, not the recipe involved.

--

edit 9-6-16

almost all of the 'unamed' strangifiers have been purged from the market. Most bare correct names now.

--------------------

Listed in order of quantities according to Meet the stats:

9-6-13

(these are fully crafted Strange items. But i think a decent indicator of popularity. ie: there might not be a lot of S.Towels, but that's not because recipes are rare, it's because they are not a popular item. Where as the robros are few, recipes are hard to find, so they must be rare)/ mercs are just really expensive, pain in butt to craft. But there are quite a few recipes out there, so the expense makes them more rare.

I think Summer shades were pretty much all made into strange right away due to perceived high value/popularity, there are a lot but they are hard to find (same with all father).

Likewise i think few camera beards have been made strange due to dislike of item. (it's been around a long time, only vintage item that can be strangified though), there seem to be plenty of recipes available.

[112] Mercs

[127] Cameras

[145] Pomsons

[147] Teddy

[160] Robros

[178] Archimedes

[222] Bonk

[269]Toss

[328] Sore Eyes

[402] Fancy Dress Uniform

[573] Villians Veil

[586] All Father

[699] Summer

[868]Bird of Aberdeen

I want it so that you can see the items you need when you hover over the item.

So for example, if you were browsing someone's backpack and hovered over the set, it would tell you what items you'd need.

And it would obviously apply to Outpost or backpack.tf

The only metcs I have seen has a list of hats, generally craftable, in order to make them. Btw, Team Captains are actually craft hats. All the other ones seem to need weapons and mostly one strange. I am interested in how the market will react when cheaper sets have been sold.

Also, yes, I find that many people in trade servers seem oblivious to what's happening.

OK,  I'll concede on this one.

I have looked at maybe 10 more merc muffler chem sets and all seemed to require hats. One I counted up was about 23 Ref worth of craft hats (if all were 1.3 ref, I didn't look into it too much). Approx. 4-5 Keys to craft no matter what.

I haven't seen ANY require weaps at all.

So they seem rare AND expensive, also all class.

OK,  I'll concede on this one.

I have looked at maybe 10 more merc muffler chem sets and all seemed to require hats. One I counted up was about 23 Ref worth of craft hats (if all were 1.3 ref, I didn't look into it too much). Approx. 4-5 Keys to craft no matter what.

I haven't seen ANY require weaps at all.

So they seem rare AND expensive, also all class.

I have one that needs 2 team captains. That would make that set cost between ~ 4 - 7 keys. At least there is one set that has somoe consistant cost structure.

Archived