Speeding up my computer

The Penguins

What files should I clean if I want my PC to run faster? I would delete some useless files but kinda of afraid to mess some stuff up.

Go to start > type system configuration (or go to run > type msconfig if windows xp) > startup and then disable anything you don't want running at startup (be sure to look everything up before disabling it so you know what it actually does). 

You can also clear out your cache and other temp files, as well as defragging (if you have an hdd).

Ideally, you could format the hard drive and do a fresh install. 

/alternative solutions would be to buy an ssd/more ram/upgrade your cpu/gpu depending on your components, budget, and end goal. 

Deleting your temporary files would be a good start. Press windows+r and type %temp%. Delete everything there. Now do it again, but instead of typing %temp% type temp. This deletes some other temp files. Defragmenting might also help, although you probably have it on a schedule anyway. A useful program is CCleaner, it cleans temp files, registry stuff, and you can also use it to disable startup programs.

Deleting your temporary files would be a good start. Press windows+r and type %temp%. Delete everything there. Now do it again, but instead of typing %temp% type temp. This deletes some other temp files. Defragmenting might also help, although you probably have it on a schedule anyway. A useful program is CCleaner, it cleans temp files, registry stuff, and you can also use it to disable startup programs.

The only issue i have with CCleaner is the fact that it removes my logins at places like backpack.tf, outpost, and most importantly steam browser online.  This makes it so i have to re-login (which isnt a problem) but also makes it so I have to wait "7 days" to send trade offers through browser (this is the problem). Anyone know any solution for this where it still does a clean up but doesnt log me out of my sites?

Reinstall windows.

Windows just gets crappy over time and the only surefire way to fix that is to reinstall yearly.

The only issue i have with CCleaner is the fact that it removes my logins at places like backpack.tf, outpost, and most importantly steam browser online.  This makes it so i have to re-login (which isnt a problem) but also makes it so I have to wait "7 days" to send trade offers through browser (this is the problem). Anyone know any solution for this where it still does a clean up but doesnt log me out of my sites?

Just uncheck the "Cookies" checkbox under Applications>Chrome/Firefox and you're good to go

Archived