A huge thank you to our two retiring moderators

polar

I'm pretty sure both these gentlemen - Shenanigans and Vincent - won't post in the forums, but just as I posted on Chief's farewell thread, I'd like to say a few words in public about two of the most amazing people I have met in my time in this community. Both are part of that rare group of people you find in this community whom you'd really just like to meet at least once in real life. 

My dear friend, Shenanigans... I feel like people can best be described through anecdotes, as words / adjectives really just don't do someone's personality justice. So here is one that captures his personality so well. A few months before he left, Shen, was working 2 (3?) jobs. His hours were ridiculous. He would get one day off per week. In that one day off, the last thing you'd want to do would be handling BACKLOG unusual suggestions. But there he was, spending precious personal time on these really taxing / frustrating suggestions. I know I mentioned to him more than once that he should take the time for himself, but he always felt this sense of responsibility to this community that I have always appreciated. You know, just a few days ago, he responded to a GB post, the first time he has been around in months. And after I asked him to post there, the first thing he said was, "I should probably handle some of those forum reports." Easy going, dedicated, hard working. Shen, you may have only been working on a few backlog suggestions at a time, but I can't thank you enough for putting what little time you had into the site. What an amazing worker and friend. 

And Vincent. I'm almost ashamed to have to describe with words someone so thoughtful and eloquent. Vincent himself may not realize this, but he has probably had the biggest impact of any mod on me and my growth as a moderator. The unusual suggestion guide and it's verbage has its inspiration from a lot of mods, but none as much as Vincent. So many of the descriptions come from rationales I saw from Vincent from back when he used to handle unusual suggestions. How I handle ban appeals and ban descriptions? A lot of that comes from how I saw Vincent handle them before me. Without a doubt, he has had a huge influence in making me the moderator I am today. He has always been very generous with his limited time. He ALWAYS gets back to me whenever I have any question or concern and he gives every question and concern 100% of his attention. Sometimes he takes time to get back only so that he can give such a well thought out response. I'll leave you with something Woifi has mentioned once or twice to me over the last two years. Occasionally - VERY occasionally - I'll make a well-thought out post and Woifi will say, "That's like something Vincent would write." I can't think of a better compliment to receive. 

A lot of you and even the other mods on the team may not realize how much either of these guys have really helped me and contributed to this community. But I have noticed every bit. Whether it's through handling tough suggestions, giving advice on tricky situations in the forums or in bans and ban appeals, both of these gentlemen who have real full-time jobs and busy lives outside of bp.tf have given so much to this community. Undoubtedly, we would not be the site we are without them. 

Real life stuff keeps coming up and we all won't be around forever. We get amazing new people on staff just as some leave. It's the way it will always be. This is just my small way of letting the community know about two of those fantastic people that have made this community a better place. Thank you both for everything!

I guess you could say.....there is a distinctive lack of Vincent in the mods now :B1: But seriously, you two will be missed.

I had Vincent added for a while till he deleted me when i had to inquire about certain suggestions and also to report alts i found

I wasn't around during the time of Shenny tho

I wasn't around for either of these guys' prime, although Polar this was so well-written and touching I really feel like I missed out on some amazing people. Godspeed you two, and a great thank you for helping make backpack.tf somewhere where I could easily immerse myself into the community. Godspeed!

It's sad that I cant add much more to Vincent's farewell except liking that post because I can't couldnt have put it any better ):

Vincent helped me understand the economy and how I should help out newer users. He is probably the very reason why Im not a shitposter/Savethekeys dont know how I can thank him for that. 

Hope you can come by the forum every now and again to say hi DDDD:

And another moderator leaves the site...

Vincent has seriously helped a lot. Although I didn't really spend time speaking with him, but the threads that he made in the forums are amazing and detailed. He was definitely one of the guys who had helped me while I was struggling on suggestion years back. 

I'm sure both mods have handled a lot of works during these years. Thank you really much and please come back if you have the time.  ^_^

I wasn't expecting this. Two moderators, is what? 40% of the staff team?

Man, now who are we gonna make fun of for pricing items at insane prices?

Ayy bb

fsjut7Y.png?2

Everyones talking about vincent, no shen.

But then again i wasn't around when shen was around and barely knew vincent to be honest, i wish i did though. This is very sad when i read polar's thing....... I did know him, i think i had him added but i wouldn't exactly say i had a relationship with him

• Don't know either of you, Or at least very little prior knowledge. However, you were both once very active and hard working individuals i'd imagine. Being a backpack.tf moderator is not an easy task, yet you two did it with relative ease.  I wish you two the best throughout all of your regards.

-Venom

I would go crazy if I would work as much as shen does, I hope this hard time is over for him soon, and that he finds time for other things in life. I wish you the best of luck!

I still remember the first time I encountered Vince on the site. It was back when mods had no distinguishing colors or anything, and I was looking over suggestions to vote on. His  name kept showing up along with erudite comments, and I thought to myself that he seemed very helpful and tactful. It wasn't until later I found out he was a mod. When polar says that Vincent is the type of person you should strive to emulate, he is absolutely right.

Shenanigans I actually first encountered on TF2R--the site is fairly dead these days, but before scrap.tf got in the raffle game it was pretty popular. Shen still has one of the highest like counts among tf2r users, and they earned it with constant and impressive generosity. Shen is the ideal of a trader; they remember that items are just that, and that the nickels that a particular hat represents can be used to make someone else happy, in addition as fodder to trade up or whatever.

I hope both of them move on to bigger and better things. :)

Archived