[Guide] TF2 Trading Etiquette

Hatch Rawer Beryl

Not really sure if this falls under this. Do Not Offer something that you know the seller won't accept. For example, a bad unusual for a good unusual

But if I'm selling some things as a set, Don't keep offering on individual items. There's been a couple times where I list an overpay for a single item. Everytime I do this, people will want a single item I have.

Or if I sell a heavy set, people will bid on the shotgun.

Do Not sell as sets, its annoying and takes much longer. (unusual sets are fine, but sets involving normal items is just a waste of time, as there not hard to get)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do Not sell as sets, its annoying and takes much longer. (unusual sets are fine, but sets involving normal items is just a waste of time, as there not hard to get)

I was kinda talking about unusual sets, in one at least.

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/13213303

I'm not a pro by any means, so any advice would be helpful, but not trying to highjack the thread.

I was kinda talking about unusual sets, in one at least.

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/13213303

I'm not a pro by any means, so any advice would be helpful, but not trying to highjack the thread.

As a general rule selling as sets sucks. 

#1, you need to find someone who wants not just one, but BOTH (or more) items. 

#2, you're most likely asking for more than someone else is asking for each individually (hence why you're selling it as a set) 

#3, you probably made the set yourself, so it now seems like you're less likely to sell it, therefore people become less willing to offer (since most likely they will want to offer less than what you're asking). 

In general selling as a set is bad, although if one of the items is one of one on the market its not as bad as theres less competition, but still. 

Isn't that against the rules? (I think on outpost it is --> Spam/Unreleated comment stuff)

I remember someone got offered a really high tier unusual for their crap unusual and seller would've gotten a lot of profit from it, but people started saying "TAKE IT AND RUN" and the offerer retracted. <-- that was on outpost

But no, there isn't any rule against spam/unrelated stuff on bazaar

Do not ask for free upgrades (2nd post) http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/14193206

By all means the bp.tf prices list isnt the best, but it should tell you the tier list of how effects are ranked.

Well, thats kind of an iffy one. 

Smoking used to be higher than planets, and only recently did planets really pull ahead of smoking, so thats not too bad. 

Well, thats kind of an iffy one. 

Smoking used to be higher than planets, and only recently did planets really pull ahead of smoking, so thats not too bad. 

I know it wasnt that bad, but i saw it and wanted to point it out. 

Isn't that against the rules? (I think on outpost it is --> Spam/Unreleated comment stuff)

I remember someone got offered a really high tier unusual for their crap unusual and seller would've gotten a lot of profit from it, but people started saying "TAKE IT AND RUN" and the offerer retracted. <-- that was on outpost

But no, there isn't any rule against spam/unrelated stuff on bazaar

Bazaar doesn't want to discourage any potential users :P

nvm

You can report people for spamming

• 9 months later...
  • Administrators

Do Know the difference between scamming and sharkingScamming is taking another person's items against his will. In other words, it's stealing. This can happen by phishing links that hijack your account, other people not following through on paypal trades, etc. Scamming is illegal. Sharking is purposely misinforming someone in order to get a better deal. For example, if I told someone his burning team captain was worth 10 keys, and he sold it to me for that, that would be sharking. Sharking is legal, but it can get you banned on some sites and it is frowned upon by most traders.

People in this community have a hard time understanding the real definition of what the shark is. This is still an ongoing issue, the big trouble is once a person says the word shark, everyone without even thinking goes on attacking that person without any definitive proof.

I will post the definition of shark and sharking here :

Definition : Sharkers add you and manipulate you into believing that the item is worth x instead of y. Where x is the lowest possible price and y is original/somewhere near the original price. Sharkers main object is to obtain that item/things by trickery or fraud, basically by persuading you to believe something you shouldn't believe in. Sharkers usually persuades someone to believe that their item is cheap by providing fake sales/sellers or manipulating the seller basically by telling lies over lies over lies until the seller believes him/her

Example of what is not sharking :

If you put up a rare item for extremely cheap...Suppose a vintage 1930's or 1940's watch for $100 instead of the original value of what its actual worth, its your fault for not doing the research not the buyers, and the buyers the seller finds will definitely not inform him that his watch is worth x5/x10 what the seller is asking.

Buyers will get it for cheap. You are suppose to do all the research before you put up anything in the market. Its not the market's buyers fault for buying it from you super cheap.

Basically if there is no manipulation, trickery or any other deceptive method then its not sharking.

• 3 weeks later...

There's something that's come up recently. The responsibility of buyers and sellers in regards to accidental overpay and full refunds.

As far as I understand the seller should point out to the buyer if they add more than what was agreed upon. (This being in regards to pure offers.)
While the true responsibility lies with the buyer to check his trade before accepting, it is courteous of a seller to not take advantage of an oversight.

While whether or not you want to fully refund someone with buyer's regret should be the seller's decision to make. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Very nice, how about Do not ask to trade people whilst playing in a server (both people, this usually happens) it cracks me off a bit, I want to know what this person wants to trade but I hate being interupted during my gameplay, adding would be so muhc nicer

Note: just a personal thing, not sure if otehrs have this too, but I do, once again, wonderful guide, people should read this

• 2 weeks later...

Do learn decent English

it can get confusing at times when one talks in broken English and may be difficult to understand what the trade wants or is offering

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently been doing this, and wondering whether it's okay or not.

After sending an offer, I add said user. When user accepts the add and asks what it is for, I tell them about the offer I made so it can be accepted faster. I feel there is something wrong with doing that. Am I right?

I've recently been doing this, and wondering whether it's okay or not.

After sending an offer, I add said user. When user accepts the add and asks what it is for, I tell them about the offer I made so it can be accepted faster. I feel there is something wrong with doing that. Am I right?

If you're paying the price he listed, I don't see a problem. If you're adding him to offer an item or something less than his price, it might bug him. That depends on the item though. If it's an unusual that he hasn't gotten many offers on and you're offering a fair amount of pure currency, I don't think he'd mind being added. Use your own discretion.

It's annoying when people try to sell their stuff to me add me when I have no pure. This goes for closed/unbumped trades and posts, I don't actively bump when I have no pure, or at least no easy access to pure.

Archived