Moderator Bias

Gent♥

Scathing, unnecessary personal attack, bringing up MULTIPLE criticisms completely unrelated to the post. Not only has this NOT received any sort of warning, but Puddingkip, the mod who warned Venom, has liked it.

And since then any sort of personality to any of Venom's posts has been systematically cleansed;

Furthermore, this is overlooking the personal harassment on Baloo's part, evidently acting as if he has some sort of diplomatic immunity (which of course, with this bias, he may as well have);

http://gyazo.com/6fe86437967529bf172eafde1f8c5814

♥Prof. Suggiecube™♥: you know i'm Jewish right

A couple things

(1) If you felt baloo's comment was a "Scathing, unnecessary personal attack" then why didn't you report it? Not only is there a report function available to you, but even if you are concerned about a single mod ignoring a report, you have multiple moderators on your friends list. Have I ever not been available to you? Why would you let a personal attack or a problem you see as egregious let go when you have so many formal avenues with which to fix them? What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this post that couldn't be accomplished by talking to me or any other mod?

(2) Sugarcube's comment is a bit ridiculous. Just because he's a jew and he doesn't find it insulting doesn't mean that there aren't Jewish or even non-Jewish users who would read that post and be appalled by that sort of behavior left unchecked in the forums.

Im asian

If i saw someone use the term chinking or some shit like that id be offended

Just cause some jewish person is fine with it doesnt mean the population as a whole is

Its like saying because a republican is fine with gay rights, means they all are fine with gay rights.

Im asian

If i saw someone use the term chinking or some shit like that id be offended

Just cause some jewish person is fine with it doesnt mean the population as a whole is

Its like saying because a republican is fine with gay rights, means they all are fine with gay rights.

it's not quite like that but i'm glad i wasn't the only one who saw a huge issue with what he said

(1) If you felt baloo's comment was a "Scathing, unnecessary personal attack" then why didn't you report it? Not only is there a report function available to you, but even if you are concerned about a single mod ignoring a report, you have multiple moderators on your friends list. Have I ever not been available to you? Why would you let a personal attack or a problem you see as egregious let go when you have so many formal avenues with which to fix them? What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this post that couldn't be accomplished by talking to me or any other mod?

I reported it. But this is besides the point. The point was an individual mod, when approaching a situation, played their hand based on who they liked. Really painfully obviously so. Which would of been okay, I discussed it with said mod, and then another mod did it. Hence this post exists. Because bias exists.

And don't come back to me with ''bias always exists'', that implies nothing can be done about it.

I am also one of the lucky ones to have multiple moderators on your friends list, one of the ones who find your approachable and doesn't view as some sort of strange ethereal beast. Had anybody not so lucky been faced with this problem their cries would have gone unheard.

I'd like to discuss this with you personally, if I may.

Let me tell you my side of the story:

Yesterday I was on my way to uni and decided to check the forums in the train. Saw some new reports including one on venom's comment. It came across as rude and uncalled for in my mind and I warned venom for the comment and the unrelated picture a bit later in the thread. I only skimmed the rest of the thread and saw Baloo correcting venoms attitude and since I agreed it was uncalled for liked the post and missed the personal attack.

Then Gent messaged me over steam about me warning venom and pointed the personal attack by Baloo out to me. But not after suggesting I was biased. I decided not to moderate the thread any further because my integrity was being doubted so leaving it up for another more than capable mod seemed like the right thing to do.

And about Baloo's alleged immunity: I think his warning points collected show he is far from immune, just like any other member

In my personal opinion, you're too quick to judge something as being rude and needing a warning point. Not every rude thing said and reported needs to be warned, you could just delete the comment or contact the person about it.

He gets a 3 day ban for using the word 'jewed' towards himself while people make constant 9/11 / ISIS jokes and homophobic remarks without any warnings. idk about you but I find 9/11 / ISIS and homophobic stuff more offensive than 'jewed'.

He gets a 3 day ban for using the word 'jewed' towards himself while people make constant 9/11 / ISIS jokes and homophobic remarks without any warnings. idk about you but I find 9/11 / ISIS and homophobic stuff more offensive than 'jewed'.

Pretty much, The 9/11 and ISIS jokes are pretty bad, then somebody say's "jewed" And gets a 3 day ban GG.

and baloo is reading this thread, rip.

edit:  "Venom says: http://gyazo.com/be28fcb4e9a11f1b37df6d5a583c732b

http://i.imgur.com/NnoGhN1.gif"

I personally disagree with the constant negativity

I've seen other terms besides the one Venom used. just misspelled on purpose

A warning should have been fair enough

Thank you to everyone who wishes to hear my side of the story, although I was not informed by anyone this thread existed.

I suppose this reply should start chronologically since it would be easiest to follow my replies to the main post. I am starting off with addressing TheVenomWithin's post on Hex's moderator application. A moderator application is open to the public in order to give both positive and negative feedback to the applicant about his performance, behavior, and overall standing in the community. TheVenomWithin's reply of only "who are you?" is not constructive and does not add anything to the application. Hex is applying for a moderator position on the main backpack.tf site, so it would be understandable for TheVenomWithin to not be aware of Hex given his little activity on the main site. I, personally, was also unaware of who Hex is, but did notice after checking his profile that he has a fairly good amount of accepted suggestions coupled with a high accuracy rate.

This led me to create my reply to TheVenomWithin's post. As already mentioned, I found the post both unnecessary and not contributing to the discussion. Since TheVenomWithin made an indirect insult to Hex's lack of being known on the forums, I decided to contrast this by reminding TheVenomWithin why he was first known on the forums. I assume you do not personally remember this Gent, but when TheVenomWithin made his first memorable appearance on the forums; it was to declare he had no remorse for sharking an individual out of potentially 35 or more buds. There were multiple status updates posted by him on the issue, all of which have now also been deleted. By creating this contrast, I did aim to put TheVenomWithin in a negative light because I felt his comment was unwarranted and I believe he needed to be both humbled and reminded to be respectful towards the applicant. Hex has done a lot for the actual backpack.tf site, which sustains these forums (as mentioned in my initial post), and it is a feat which should not be mocked by someone who has done relatively little for backpack.tf in comparison.

I do not believe the my reply was emotional, however, I do believe it had points of a warranted personal comments towards TheVenomWithin. As already stated, this was in order to humble him for his comment, which I found rude and out of place for a moderator application. I assume I was agreed with by at least 9 other forum members given the 9 likes on my reply to TheVenomWithin. One of which being Î»ngelღмander, who worked alongside TheVenomWithin on sourcerep.net before it was disbanded by the site owner.

Moving on to the image removed, I do not believe you actually saw the image TheVenomWithin posted, but here is a link to it. It was not 'systematically cleansed', but removed because it was on a moderator application. The moderator applications should have a level of formality to them in addition to remaining on topic to the applicant. While TheVenomWithin's image was funny, I believe many users would agree posting on an application in which neither of us is applying is out of place. Therefore Puddingkip removed the image since it is his duty as moderator to keep the forums relatively clean of any unrelated spam. This is not the first time unrelated comments have been removed from suggestions.

In regards to the private message sent to TheVenomWithin, yes it was rude. However, I believe it was relatively on the same level as the image TheVenomWithin posted on the moderator application. TheVenomWithin has made repeated and constant jokes about his sharking past. Including the fact his forum title is "TheWayneWithin" making reference to another Steam user commonly suspected of being a shark. If he found personal offense to the private message, then he can report it as abuse.

I do not believe calling out TheVenomWithin as a shark in order to bring attention to why he is known and banned on Outpost is on par with using a negative generalization against an entire religion. My comment was not slander as it is known fact, and also was not simply "you are a shark, and therefore you do not deserve to comment here", but a full explanation of why his comment was rude, not constructive, and essentially unnecessary. TheVenomWithin demeaning an entire religion and its people using a slur, however, is in violation of the rules the backpack.tf forums is not allowed to violate in exchange for using this forum software. These rules can be found in the post by Brad Pitt pinned in the Great Below.

I do not believe a thread needed to be made, as polar stated, you could have created a report and had alternative avenues to deal with the situation. I believe there is a bit of personal bias against me from you since you commented on the image TheVenomWithin posted (screenshot) in the status updates which was later removed from the his reply on Hex's moderator application. Additionally, in your reply to my response to TheVenomWithin on the application, you quoted me and solely put in my quote '-snip of "I hateVenom"-'. I believe you overlooked the main point of my reply to TheVenomWithin and simply saw it as an attack rather than a thought out reasoning of why his comment should not have been made, or at least not with the lack of constructive assistance for the applicant.

If there is anything else you wish for me to address, then feel free to comment for me to reply. Please only quote the relevant paragraphs because quoting the whole message simply becomes a space waster.

snip

While I agree that venom's comment was somewhat insulting, as a user who put forth their time frequently and was applying strictly for price moderation and not the forums, it is not your responsibility to 'humble' people. You had every right to respond to his comment, but by directly insulting him back, not only are you promoting that sort of attitude on the forums, but you're just inciting an argument. And this is not the first time you've done this to venom. I know that venom likes to message me when you publicly humiliate him, but even past that it seems that you do more of that to venom than anyone else. The moderators of the forums are here for a reason, and if a post offends you, or you believe it is irrelevant, it is not your responsibility to 'humble' someone, it is your choice to report that post, and allow the moderators to  do what they wish to it. You have a penchant for doing this, which is not a bad thing, no one thinks you have bad intentions, but when you yourself cause such heated discussion and perpetuate it, you only damage the other person's credibility and make yourself out to be vitriolic by nature.

Furthermore, venom posting that picture, while crude and obviously immature, had no negative intentions in posting that. Any insult you may have gleaned from that was more venom's tactless use of artwork to demonstrate his frustration with your frequent chastising of his comments and replies on the forums.

I have reviewed the reports about Baloo's comment, and given them an appropriate ban. Like Puddingkip said, sometimes mods leave reports alone so that other mods can look at the situation, and that's why the various reports in that application were handled at different times by different mods.

So. I'd like to see an explanation, and I'd like to see a reaction in behavior. Or you could brush me under the rug. Your call.

Using racial insults isn't cool, regardless of context. I don't care if you or Sugarcube is Jewish and you're fine with it, that's not an excuse or justification for such crass behavior. If you see such insults being used on a regular basis, then report them; the mods can't take action if we aren't aware of a situation. I always warn such language when I see it; venom being warned for it is not bias, because I would warn anyone else for the same reason.

Venom received a three day ban because of preexisting warning points.

hehe get 7 warning points for saying 1 bad thing to a user on Steam.

>gets called a fucking retard on the actual forum and user get away with it.

See above; if you don't report things, then you can't complain when the mods don't take action. This is the second time I've told you this, but you continue to hold it against the mods.

Woifi already covered the math of it, as well.

Sugarcube doesn't represent the demographic, but is A representative of the demographic. I never claimed otherwise.

But you were using Sugarcube's opinion as the sole evidence of hypocrisy. The less evidence of something you give, the more weight is put on each individual piece. If you didn't want your use of Sugarcube's opinion to be misconstrued, you should have paired it with other things backing up your position.

I'll refrain from warning you for posting this topic, but consider this a verbal warning. If you want your opinion to be taken seriously, to be treated maturely, then it must be presented maturely. Creating a public scene, getting up on a soapbox, and hurling accusations and insults at the moderator team makes you look bad, and it makes addressing your criticisms with tact and care much more difficult.

I know you are capable of being calm and erudite, which only makes this thread that much more disappointing. I'm locking this before it becomes any more of a flame war. If you would like to discuss it further, feel free to make a new topic with a less vitriolic/whiny opening post.

Archived