Moderator Bias

Gent♥

Let me tell you a story of the last couple of days.

Once upon a time, Venom posted a perfectly valid but poorly worded criticism on Hex's moderator application.

8f423a35d0.jpg

He received a warning for it. Which is fair enough, you might say, and so would I. What isn't fair in the slightest is what happens next.

b199ac810d.png

Scathing, unnecessary personal attack, bringing up MULTIPLE criticisms completely unrelated to the post. Not only has this NOT received any sort of warning, but Puddingkip, the mod who warned Venom, has liked it.
And since then any sort of personality to any of Venom's posts has been systematically cleansed;

b6ec27e919.png

Furthermore, this is overlooking the personal harassment on Baloo's part, evidently acting as if he has some sort of diplomatic immunity (which of course, with this bias, he may as well have);
http://gyazo.com/6fe86437967529bf172eafde1f8c5814

And then finally, Venom has now received a three-day ban for, and I quote;

http://gyazo.com/6ae040adf627e1e9c9156e728636fe4d

These forums see far worse language than that on a regular basis. FAR worse. But because of the personal uttering them, this is suddenly a major offence.

♥Prof. Suggiecube™♥: you know i'm Jewish right
♥Prof. Suggiecube™♥: and i couldn't give
♥Prof. Suggiecube™♥: less of a shit
♥Prof. Suggiecube™♥: about you using the term jew
TheVenomWithin: Lmaooo
♥Prof. Suggiecube™♥: lol
TheVenomWithin: well alright
TheVenomWithin: I dont see why you should care
♥Prof. Suggiecube™♥: If a FULL-BLOOD FUCKING JEW
♥Prof. Suggiecube™♥: doesn't care
TheVenomWithin: it wasnt used against you
♥Prof. Suggiecube™♥: then why shoudl THEY care
♥Prof. Suggiecube™♥: exactly
♥Prof. Suggiecube™♥: the term "jewing" has been around since the fucking 40s

So. I'd like to see an explanation, and I'd like to see a reaction in behavior. Or you could brush me under the rug. Your call.

hehe get 7 warning points for saying 1 bad thing to a user on Steam.

>gets called a fucking retard on the actual forum and user get away with it.

insert very funny meme face and bp.tf mods are very good (I thought some older staff members were gonna leave so Plax could handle everything like a boss).

It's shit and wont get better because mods will just look at it like I wrote it - As a troll, temporary complaint and don't fix their shit. People just gotta deal with it.

EDIT: Baloo troll reported Woifi once and just got away with it, I got 1day ban + warning.. It's obv mods back up people they like and abuse powers. Noting new, this has been going on for ages.

insert very funny meme face and bp.tf mods are very good (I thought some older staff members were gonna leave so Plax could handle everything like a boss).

It's shit and wont get better because mods will just look at it like I wrote it - As a troll, temporary complaint and don't fix their shit. People just gotta deal with it.

EDIT: Baloo troll reported Woifi once and just got away with it, I got 1day ban + warning.. It's obv mods back up people they like and abuse powers. Noting new, this has been going on for ages.

Sadly "Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely" seems to be the case, even here :/

Sadly "Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely" seems to be the case, even here :/

It's not to a level where it's corrupt, far from it. Not to mention some mods work here is beyond awesome.

Furthermore, this is overlooking the personal harassment on Baloo's part, evidently acting as if he has some sort of diplomatic immunity (which of course, with this bias, he may as well have);

http://gyazo.com/6fe86437967529bf172eafde1f8c5814

This. I'm going to be full out honest will my answer here. I've noticed since Baloo became a mod or whatever on OP it just seems like he thinks he can get away with stuff easier than everyone else. I remember one time he made a rude comment to 0gravity0 or whatever for his grammar when he clearly was trying his hardest to get his point across and it wasn't very hard to understand what he was saying. He's been a bit out of line recently imo and he seems to me at least he thinks he has more leeway because he is an OP mode to make rude comments and such.

@2nd picture

Really Baloo unnecessary. I agree it was unnecessary on the application but plenty of the things you say are very unnecessary and after he got a warning point there was no excuse to attack him personally which was just kind of a dick move. Also speaking of unnecessary comments:  http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/32389-about-burning-flames-noh-mercy/

It's not to a level where it's corrupt, far from it. Not to mention some mods work here is beyond awesome.

No, no yet and whilst there is definitely a lot of good work put into this site incidents like this still occur.

it would be great to give out warning points for saying who are you or unnecaserry (i need how to english pls) comments on mod apps.

since its a serious business.

Chief D for one (Despite a weird warn for me necroing but ok)

Plax for another; he's a steamrep mod in the making (not literally but, he asks for proof instead of random bans)

and any other outstanding work i've missed

You got 3 warning points for that, not 7, then 2 more warning points for making the troll report. You had 2 warning points before. 

@Topic: I didnt follow this enough to know all sides, so I will leave it to another mod.^^

Im going to take a stab in the dark here and say the mod only gave out the warning because someone who is real sensitive reported the post which prompted an action from a mod.

Imo most of the time everything goes until someone reports, it isnt offensive until someone finds it offensive, unless a user is clearly being abusive then that's a different story.

I can point out a number of times where users here would make fun of venom's ban but because it wasnt reported nothing happened

Let me tell you my side of the story:

Yesterday I was on my way to uni and decided to check the forums in the train. Saw some new reports including one on venom's comment. It came across as rude and uncalled for in my mind and I warned venom for the comment and the unrelated picture a bit later in the thread. I only skimmed the rest of the thread and saw Baloo correcting venoms attitude and since I agreed it was uncalled for liked the post and missed the personal attack.

Then Gent messaged me over steam about me warning venom and pointed the personal attack by Baloo out to me. But not after suggesting I was biased. I decided not to moderate the thread any further because my integrity was being doubted so leaving it up for another more than capable mod seemed like the right thing to do.

And about Baloo's alleged immunity: I think his warning points collected show he is far from immune, just like any other member

And about Baloo's alleged immunity: I think his warning points collected show he is far from immune, just like any other member

They don't show he's not immune, they show he didn't used to be.

Regardless, this wasn't intended as a personal attack on you, Puddingkip, we settled our differences yesterday. This is a more general complaint based on a worrying trend.

It seems to me Baloo was trying to say:

"If you don't have anything to say contributive in a mod application, then don't post anything."

He could have said this without the personal attack and in a much shorter version (or just report the post), but I guess he got tired of the growing amount of useless posts in topics of such importance, if not the most important and serious topic on the forum.

If my opinion matters to someone, a moderator application is the last place to post non-contributive things. And Baloo was trying to make this clear to Venom, but he reacted too emotionally.

TL;DR

If Venom didn't post any non-contributive material, Baloo wouldn't have too.

PS; I'm just making assumptions and stating my impression. It would be good if Baloo wrote down his own explanation.

-snip-

What actually happened is less the issue here. Venom may well have deserved the warning point, I've acknowledged that.

The issue is that Baloo's far more insulting and equally irrelevant comment got no warning. And that Venom later got banned for a VERY minor offence.

The issue is moderator bias, oddly enough :P

sugarcube just because you're jewish doesn't mean you get to speak for the entirety of that demographic when it comes to using 'jew' as an insult. gent you need to chill out this is like the biggest deal over nothing.

venoms comment was not just poorly worded but also completely invalid and trollish considering hex is out here making suggestions on a daily fucking basis.

baloo's comment was entirely correct. bringing up the sharking isn't unfair because that shit happened and acting like a big pro forum user with a snide "who are you" comment when, as baloo says, you are primarily known for making a huge mistake, is completely ridiculous and egotistical. is it personal? yes. is that wrong? no. his comment is about being known, the implication is that he's not popular or active enough. the hypocrisy is unreal, and to be pointed out, you have to illustrate the personal side of it because that's just how hypocrisy works.

sugarcube just because you're jewish doesn't mean you get to speak for the entirety of that demographic when it comes to using 'jew' as an insult. gent you need to chill out this is like the biggest deal over nothing.

venoms comment was not just poorly worded but also completely invalid and trollish considering hex is out here making suggestions on a daily fucking basis.

baloo's comment was entirely correct. bringing up the sharking isn't unfair because that shit happened and acting like a big pro forum user with a snide "who are you" comment when, as baloo says, you are primarily known for making a huge mistake, is completely ridiculous and egotistical. is it personal? yes. is that wrong? no. his comment is about being known, the implication is that he's not popular or active enough. the hypocrisy is unreal, and to be pointed out, you have to illustrate the personal side of it because that's just how hypocrisy works.

Hypocrisy is completely irrelevant. You can tell a chef his food is bad without being Gordon bloody Ramsey, you can tell a user he isn't well-known enough without being well known.

The comment was rude and personal, far more so that Venom's was rude. Venom's personal goings-on had NOTHING to do with the comment, it was just an easy target to attack. But it got no warning, in fact the mod that warned Venom liked it. That's not okay.

Sugarcube doesn't represent the demographic, but is A representative of the demographic. I never claimed otherwise.

Hypocrisy is completely irrelevant. You can tell a chef his food is bad without being Gordon bloody Ramsey, you can tell a user he isn't well-known enough without being well known.

The comment was rude and personal, far more so that Venom's was rude. Venom's personal goings-on had NOTHING to do with the comment, it was just an easy target to attack. But it got no warning, in fact the mod that warned Venom liked it. That's not okay.

Sugarcube doesn't represent the demographic, but is A representative of the demographic. I never claimed otherwise.

that's why I addressed him and not you but thanks

the comment was based on fact and in response to something much ruder, in my opinion: the dismissing of the huge amount of work that hex has done and continued doing just because venom apparently hadn't even looked at the frontpage of backpack.tf in a long time, because Hex is practically always there.

i just don't think it was rude to point out exactly why Venom's comment was so dumb. his previous actions and arrogance are absolutely relevant to why it was a stupid comment. it's definitely much less rude to point those out in explanation and correction than it was to dismiss hex, in my view.

also the hypocrisy isn't about venom being well known, it's about him making a popularity contest out of a serious mod application by someone who has actually contributed to the site rather than just become well known for making a huge mistake. the hypocrisy is him trying to put himself above hex, regardless of the point of hex's forum activity.

LOL And this right here, is why I keep my ass off the forums. Tired of people being general dickheads.

It's not usually like this tho :/

Hoho my god these forums have so much drama.

While i dont agree with baloo or venom, i do think venom got a harsh punishment.

However, when Gent points out the possible bias going on, i do agree to an extent because it is human nature to be biased. Cant help that.

I think it is time for both admins and forum members to SERIOUSLY consider where they stand and know when to joke and when punishment is TRULY NECESSARY.

Archived