I lost my entire inventory, $3.3k. What do I do.

Ernie The Penguin

He's an experienced trader, im pretty sure he was aware of the risk. But to be honnest when you do a lot of trades per day this email thing is a pain in the ***

An experienced trader falling for a .exe? That isnt even a scam that's like "old school download this virus", which is quite possibly the stupidest thing to ever get hijacked by other than the Nigerian prince email scam since email was invented.

Bad luck man, i doubt you can get your stuff back, if it was the one which sends trade offers from your computer steam registers it as a trade from your computer hence 0 chance of restoring, if you didnt have steam email verification i dont think steam cares but it doesnt hurt to try :S

I would also full scan your computer in case of a keylogger which would mean you can lose a lot more than just your backpack.

Here is a guide to scamming/phishing http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/27624-guide-phishing-and-scamming-techniques/dont get scammed next time.

Grab a real Kurt Kobain's Mircophonesrslypleasedon'tdothat

Cry, then man up and start again. Its what Alex from Security did, and Pink Taco too

I suppose you shouldn't give advice if your ego is high like The Procaves' and think you're plausible for moderator along with Puddingkip, but that's just me.

I got phished by steamguard.exe and they took all my items.

Worst of all, I didn't have email verification on.

What should I do? I feel so lost, and so confused on what I should do.

Lol

Welp, I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles. Sorry for your loss and all, but looks like there's nothing to be done. Take Curly's advice and run with it is all I can suggest.

Why do people still run .exe files from unknown sources? It's not like even running the file itself requires you to confirm you trust the source, unless, of course, they disabled that window as well.

well, my email confirmation wasnt turned on when i lost my item, but i turned it on after i lost my things. 
and eventually, got my things back. u still got hope m8.

They will give you your account back, but since you had email verification turned off they won't restore any of your items for any reason. Sorry bout that

Stop trading and work a real job. Fastest way to regain your money.

^this

even working a fairly shitty entry level job you'll make $3300 within 3 months easily

If the OP is in school or cant get a job for other reasons he may just be sol

How exactly did you fall for this phish? Having that much in your BP, I would assume you're an experienced trader, so what did they do? Was it some new technique?

1.) Turn email verification on.

2.) Make a support ticket asking for your crap back sounding like a complete retard.

3.) Refer to 2.

4.) Refer to 2.

You will most likely get lucky with one of those tickets. Make sure to do more than 1.

1.) Turn email verification on.

2.) Make a support ticket asking for your crap back sounding like a complete retard.

3.) Refer to 2.

4.) Refer to 2.

You will most likely get lucky with one of those tickets. Make sure to do more than 1.

do i maKe different accounts b/c it Keeps maKing a reply?

Keep making tickets eventually/hopefully one will get accepted. Someone here a few weeks ago got phished by downlaod had steam verification off. After 2 months he finally got his stuff back.

Ask Ian_Dukeman how he got his account back without steam support

He just went to valve, and was like hi, can you fix this pls.

*ba dum tsss*

Overall, steam support still helped him, just different way lol.

You turned off the email, you are kinda fucked. Still try through support but chances are next to nil. 

how he got his account back without steam support

Basically what he did was spam tickets for until a dumb employee who didnt get the memo restored his backpack. It can take months because after a ticket has been resolved you get a bot replying back.

@op You screwed up by falling for literally the dumbest trick in the book also you turned off email verification knowing full well the consequences, take responsibility and deal with it.

Archived