Opinions on Vaccinations

BlaqkAudio

59 members have voted

1. 1. Should every child attending public school be required to get vaccinated?

• Yes
    • No

I've been meaning to make this thread for a long time now but I didn't really want to post in this sub-forum. lol

Anyways, with the recent measles outbreak in Disneyland here in California, US, there is a bill pending to be passed that would require every parent in California to vaccinate their child if they wish for that child to attend a public school, regardless of their personal or religious beliefs. The bill is about eliminating those exemptions. 

Because of that, there are a ton of anti-vaccine activists doing their thing. So this is really debatable.

I haven't been much up to date on this but I figured I'd still ask. What do you guys think about this? Should every child get vaccinated? Why or why not?

Now the thing is, the chance of having an injury because of the vaccination is very rare but I can see why there are so many activists against it. There are these few stories where a child DOES get injured by a vaccination, these stories have an emotional toll on people so it may scare them or make them think they are doing the best for their child.

The chances are 1 in a million for a child to be injured.

Everyday, these people drive cars, go the malls/shops, eat food, open packages while there is still a chance of something bad occurring, the good outweigh the bad and it is the same case for vaccinations.

By not vaccinating children, you put smaller infants at risk that are not of age to get a particular vaccination. The more people who are vaccinated in a community, the less that are likely to get sick (aka Herd Immunity).

If a child has an immune system deficiency, then it is understandable but those kids then depend on others being vaccinated.

Some people just think even if their child does get the diseases that modern day medicine can always save them from such an old and irreverent disease. Yes, today things like so can be controlled but the survival rate is not always going to be 100%.

Everything people do is a gamble, if someone has all the information about it and decides still not to do then it is fine. The issue here would be the people who are misinformed and spread the word that vaccinations are horrible.

Vaccinations will rarely ever do anything bad, and this has been proven. The "dangerous" chemicals like mercury you might hear about in vaccines are nothing to be worried about, it's a harmless mercury. The case about vaccines causing autism has been proven to be bogus, the guy who published the story did all sorts of illegal things.

Parents who don't vaccinate their kids are either idiotic hippies or right-wing rednecks who are too stupid to realize they are putting their kid and the people around them in danger from outbreaks.

I am 100% for this to be passed. Vaccinations keep the majority of children safe from diseases they would be way more upset to have than a little flu from the needle itself. It's like getting bit by a wild dog and saying "I'll be fine I don't need a rabies shot! That's against my religion."

The argument from a lot of non-vacc parents is "How come your kid still gets the illness that my kid has, even though your kid is vaccinated and my kid isn't?"
IF YOU HAD VACCINATED YOUR FUCKING KID NEITHER KID WOULD BE SICK
The pros outweigh the cons.

I can never understand the logic of idiot parents who believe that having a child live with autism is infinitely worse than having a child die or live a lifetime of pain due to a preventable disease. Not to mention that this bullshit happened due to a fucking fraud who tortured children and made a bullshit article because he wanted a new patent on the MMR vaccine... the fucking prick.

Just going to leave this here:

and this:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/g1lev1/an-outbreak-of-liberal-idiocy

and this:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/5t2dw1/les-measlesrables

Here's the thing. Vaccinations for kids are, very possibly, bullshit.

You're vaccinating babies for all these diseases, and it's mandatory. Ok. However, the vast majority of vaccines are NOT permanent, and only last for around ~5-8 years.

Then when the child gets to school, the vaccine has worn off and everyone gets measles anyway. Oh and if you are vaccinated you can still pass the disease on,

so the only way for the whole school to be immune is that everyone has had it and it's still active.

Ever heard of resistance to medicine? Superbugs?

That's caused by overuse of medicine i.e. vaccinations and the improper use of said medicine,

By continually using medicine, bacteria and viruses** are creating immunities to said medicines, and when in 5 year's time (when the vaccinations will actually come in handy 'cos you're vaccinating BABIES) the new strains will get everyone anyway.

**Viruses. In fact, lots of vaccinations are to 'treat' viruses.

Which can't be vaccinated against because they're crystals and not actually living things.

Um. I heard of babies getting vaccinated for HPV and Hep. B.

How many drug-using, sexually active babies do you know?

Did you hear about that story with the girl that was allergic to a certain vaccine being forced to have it.

I'm fine with vaccinations, but the principle of compulsolarity (such word, many wow) is not that ^^.

A couple of things which I should say:

We are so focused on vaccinating children that we don't focus on adults.

When an epidemic breaks out, who's to say it's not being passed on by adults? In the case of HPV etc. it will be.

Also, VACCINATION does not equal IMMUNITY.

I've never been vaccinated, very healthy and almost never get sick. Also live in australia. 'STRAYYA! FUCK YEAH!

Oh australia's thinking about bringing in compulsory vaccinations, with medicare de-benifits for not doing it.

However, the people who won't vaccinate because they are educated to a high degree are the rich people.

Who can do without the benefits. GL, GG, abbot (you suck)

Thoughts?

BTW I don't want to offend anyone, but if I have then it's sadly unavoidable when talking about such topics :/

That's caused by overuse of medicine i.e. vaccinations and the improper use of said medicine,

A lot of this post is ridiculous but this part here really stands out to me. Immunity to medicine doesn't come from overuse, it comes from people who don't take enough.

Lets say we got Kenny G over here. Dude gets sick. "Alright here take these meds for a full two-week course and you'll be fine."

So Kenny G starts taking this medicine, and that medicine is doing its job in killing the nasty shit trying to killing him. After a week, Kenny feels great. So great, in fact, that he doesn't see a point to continue taking his medicine and stops.

This is where the issue arises. Because he didn't take his full course, that nasty shit in him isn't completely eradicated. Whatever was left behind eventually grows an immunity to the medicine that once crippled it, and it will multiply, and there will be much trouble down the line.

Overuse of medicine causing immunity, honestly.

I thought it was already mandatory? I live in California and I was always required to provide proof of vaccination.

It already is. This bill, however, is supposed to require you to take them even if your religion/beliefs are against it. So this means literally every single child must be vaccinated to attend a public school. It removes all exemptions.

I just realized I didn't specify that in the OP. Adding it now.

Suppose these very safe vaccinations are actually allowed to be a choice, and health nuts begin to stop vaccinating their children. Then, when someone brings in a pathogen and we're not immune to it, some of our children may end up sick, far more than would be hurt by simply vaccinating. There are very few cases of vaccines actually hurting anyone, and even fewer of those allegations can be proven. 

Allowing parents to have the choice to vaccinate their children or not, I don't have any problem with that. But the school board should mandate that any child not vaccinated can not enter school. Any unvaccinated child should simply be home schooled, to reduce their own risk and the risk to their peers.

http://www.parenting.com/article/10-vaccine-myths---busted

Was gonna post the Penn and Teller video

I am a very healthy person. I've taken all my vaccines. I have no asthma, or sinuses; I don't need to take any pills

The worst thing I have gotten was maybe a hard time the flu for a couple days but that's about it

The ratio some parents believe IS bullshit. If 1 in 110 kids get autism from vaccines, there should be at least 10 kids at my school with autism, there might be three, and they got it from birth most likely, but almost no likely chance they actually got it from a vaccine

Vaccines save millions of lives, and will continue to. If you would rather have your son or daughter die rather than think about the off chance that they get autism from it, you are a horrible parent, and don't truly love your kid(s). I don't know what religion preaches this shit, but it sure as Hell ain't God's word

Government has a compelling interest to ensure that people are vaccinated at public schools. This should be a non-issue, unless they want to mandate vaccinations for homeschooling and private schools?

Government has a compelling interest to ensure that people are vaccinated at public schools. This should be a non-issue, unless they want to mandate vaccinations for homeschooling and private schools?

This isn't the case. Home schooled children aren't required to get vaccinated. This is only about public schools. I don't know about private schools though. 

In reality, this shouldn't be an issue as it's a great way to ensure public health. But it seems like there are a lot of people out there that believe vaccines do a lot more harm than good. I believe they are absolutely wrong. 

Here's the thing. Vaccinations for kids are, very possibly, bullshit.

You're vaccinating babies for all these diseases, and it's mandatory. Ok. However, the vast majority of vaccines are NOT permanent, and only last for around ~5-8 years.

Then when the child gets to school, the vaccine has worn off and everyone gets measles anyway. Oh and if you are vaccinated you can still pass the disease on,

so the only way for the whole school to be immune is that everyone has had it and it's still active.

By continually using medicine, bacteria and viruses** are creating immunities to said medicines, and when in 5 year's time (when the vaccinations will actually come in handy 'cos you're vaccinating BABIES) the new strains will get everyone anyway.

**Viruses. In fact, lots of vaccinations are to 'treat' viruses.

Which can't be vaccinated against because they're crystals and not actually living things.

Um. I heard of babies getting vaccinated for HPV and Hep. B.

How many drug-using, sexually active babies do you know?

Did you hear about that story with the girl that was allergic to a certain vaccine being forced to have it.

I'm fine with vaccinations, but the principle of compulsolarity (such word, many wow) is not that ^^.

A couple of things which I should say:

We are so focused on vaccinating children that we don't focus on adults.

When an epidemic breaks out, who's to say it's not being passed on by adults? In the case of HPV etc. it will be.

Also, VACCINATION does not equal IMMUNITY.

I've never been vaccinated, very healthy and almost never get sick. Also live in australia. 'STRAYYA! FUCK YEAH!

Oh australia's thinking about bringing in compulsory vaccinations, with medicare de-benifits for not doing it.

However, the people who won't vaccinate because they are educated to a high degree are the rich people.

Who can do without the benefits. GL, GG, abbot (you suck)

Thoughts?

BTW I don't want to offend anyone, but if I have then it's sadly unavoidable when talking about such topics :/

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140673697110960/fulltext

The original piece of shit that has fucked up the world so much.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/24/magazine/mag-24Autism-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/48/4/456.full.pdf+html

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/07/19/12835335-cdc-whooping-cough-epidemic-worst-in-50-years?lite

http://www.autism-watch.org/omnibus/theory1/day10.pdf

http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.c5347.full

http://briandeer.com/wakefield/vaccine-patent.htm

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/jan/28/andrew-wakefield-mmr-vaccine

http://psychcentral.com/news/archives/2004-03/l-moa030304.html

Only but a taste of a myriad of articles outing him as a fraud and exposing the ramifications of this stupid movement.

Why should other children have to suffer because you believe in medicine? Young children don't know anything about religion you just give them it, so if they die, you technically killed them.

A lot of this post is ridiculous but this part here really stands out to me. Immunity to medicine doesn't come from overuse, it comes from people who don't take enough.

Lets say we got Kenny G over here. Dude gets sick. "Alright here take these meds for a full two-week course and you'll be fine."

So Kenny G starts taking this medicine, and that medicine is doing its job in killing the nasty shit trying to killing him. After a week, Kenny feels great. So great, in fact, that he doesn't see a point to continue taking his medicine and stops.

This is where the issue arises. Because he didn't take his full course, that nasty shit in him isn't completely eradicated. Whatever was left behind eventually grows an immunity to the medicine that once crippled it, and it will multiply, and there will be much trouble down the line.

Overuse of medicine causing immunity, honestly.

you're not wrong, but overreliance and overuse on antibiotics is also a huge huge huge issue because even taking a whole course can't guarantee that no resistances will occur and develop, and the more the same drugs are thrown at every symptom the more likely it is that resistances develop.

i mean he's waaay wrong to suggest that vaccines work the same way but still. also "viruses are crystals" had me actually crying.

people who don't vaccinate their children are endangering not just their own child but everyone else and no exemption should allow them to do that to a minor and all the other people threatened.

I hate celebrities and other high up people can just spread something and dumbass sheep followers just believe it. Hurr durr, vaccines got my child autism, don't give your kids vaccines. It's not like they can immunize kids from a deadly disease or anything. Oh wait. FFS, if you believe in your religions/other stuff that okay, but don't endanger other children by refusing to get a vaccine. If this sounded like a rant it's because I strongly believe in science, facts, and modern medicine and these bogus claims drive me crazy.

overreliance and overuse on antibiotics is also a huge huge huge issue

It is, but that's an entirely separate issue from what that dude was saying.

I think the most important part to understand is what a Vaccine actually is. Google is able to help with this...
"The healthy immune system is able to recognize invading bacteria and viruses and produce substances (antibodies) to destroy or disable them. Immunizations prepare the immune system to ward off a disease. To immunize against viral diseases, the virus used in the vaccine has been weakened or killed."

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the vaccine from this definition is literally just a weakened virus, its just suppose to build up your immune system in case such a virus has the 'possibility of being contracted'. Therefore, you could potentially still get this virus whether you are vaccinated or not, it just 'reduces the chances to a degree or makes the body more prepared'. I think its a personal choice, vaccine isn't a guarantee that you won't still get the flu or whatever the virus is.

Furthermore, let's say there was a epidemic, and everyone was vaccinated, but there was still that virus epidemic, then how will the government be able to respond to that.

On the last note, there is two parts that should be addressed that I saw mentioned in the above posts. Overuse that leads to immunity, and the superbug.

Overuse of a drug does make the body more reliant on the drug, in the terms that, more of a drug is necessary to reach the effect that it did the first time. For example, taking 1 pill all the time, and then eventually the effects don't actually help, and therefore 2 pills are needed to reach the same effect.

And second the superbug, my viewpoint stems from my knowledge of plants. Typically if you used a particular 'bug spray' ( can't think of the name of it right now ), all the time, a bug can build up a resistance to it, therefore making your use of shoo-ing them away ineffective.

Basically immunity + superbug creates an issue, so therefore making people force to have vaccinations doesn't make sense. Not sure if I made it clear to follow my thought process. But yeah.

Vaccinations don't just help the ones being vaccinated, but they also help those who aren't vaccinated because by immunizing people, pathogens aren't able to spread as easily into a population.  Vaccinations are a very effective preventative measure.

That being said, vaccinations are a secret plan to get liquid satan into the brains of children.  Once the liquid satan infestation reaches critical mass, the guba mint will hit the secret button and everyone will be zombie apocalypsed.  I know this because jesus told me on the two way radio that the aliens installed in my teeth while I was sleeping.

Oh and let's make a distinction between antibiotics and vaccines.  Antibiotic abuse can lead to superbugs and health problems, the development of superbugs being associated with irregular and/or incomplete treatment with antibiotics, and health problems being associated with overuse of antibiotics leading to immune system problems IIRC.  Vaccines are a bit different from antibiotics, and this is an important distinction.  Two easy ways to distinguish them are as follows: 1) vaccines are preventative, while antibiotics treat a pathogen which has already infected a host, and 2) vaccines give your immune system something to practice on, while antibiotics supplement your immune system.

That being said, vaccinations are a secret plan to get liquid satan into the brains of children.  Once the liquid satan infestation reaches critical mass, the guba mint will hit the secret button and everyone will be zombie apocalypsed.  I know this because jesus told me on the two way radio that the aliens installed in my teeth while I was sleeping.

Then the great Lord Xenu will come to earth again and kill us all with hydrogen bombs from his Douglas DC-8 spacecrafts.

Archived