"Bp.tf doesn't affect prices, it just reflects!"

Purple Gaming

"Due to the recent fluctuations of earbuds as a currency, it has been decided to convert everything that had been priced in earbuds to their key equivalent from the day the suggestion was made. It is also no longer possible to suggest prices in earbuds."

Look, I'm not saying this was necessarily a bad idea. Buds were falling, keys are stable, it seems a smart thing in a business sense to keep prices relevant.

But how can people still argue that bp.tf doesn't affect the economy or the pricing of hats?

This website alone has taken the traders of this game by storm, and it has become the most convenient pricing point out there. 

Wanna tell me you've never seen "No Unpriced Hats" on an Outpost trade?

Guys, Bp.tf just renounced the use of Earbuds as a currency. You think it won't affect prices?

post-15280-0-32355500-1427944169_thumb.png

Looks like it affected prices.

For discussions sake, do you guys think this was a smart move?

This is undoubtedly a smart move for bp.tf, but what about trading in itself.

Do you think this will hurt trading as a whole, or will it help promote longevity to TF2 trading with Buds out of the picture?

And furthermore, did this need to happen in the first place?

What's your point? We aren't denying that backpack.tf has a significant influence on the economy. It does. 

What's your point? We aren't denying that backpack.tf has a significant influence on the economy. It does. 

You may not be, but those who don't deny its influence aren't the ones I'm addressing. 

Countless people I've talked to argue that this site has no influence on pricing at all, and that it merely records and reflects what items sell for.

Bp.tf does a great job at recording these trends, but to argue that it doesn't affect said trends is just being oblivious.

Sold my buds for 4. Fight me cowards 

Sold 7 for 4 keys 15 ref each. a few at 5 keys. I even managed to take the bud dispenser bot all the way from 6 keys to under 5 (also sold 1 on scm) and someone who didn't know better bought 4 for $15 paypal each yesterday.

Its purpose was to reflect the market - as long as everyone keeps taking it to heart, well, bp.tf will always affect prices.

The real problem is the mass hysteria that's going on. Everybody is undercutting they second they can. Which will result in lower prices.

So because everyone is willing to sell lower, bp.tf has the right to reflect what you guys are doing. The whole "bud crash" is on you guys.

New price of buds was made just because of stupid undercutters

^ This

And the people who follow backpack.tf as if it is law.

Bp.tf doesn't affect prices, it just reflects! is complete BS. Even admin Polar said bp.tf influence the market. Stop saying Bp.tf doesn't affect prices, it just reflects!

^ This

And the people who follow backpack.tf as if it is law.

Found another.

Backpack.tf was followed as it it was law. That is the point.

If something is followed word for word, how can you argue that it doesn't affect things?

Saying "these were only suggestions" after-the-fact is a complete diffusion of responsibility, don't you think?

tl;dr. After christmas when buds hit their max point, buds started dropping. People started selling lower to undercut as the word was spread "TF2 IS DYING CSGO IS DA BOMB" and spreading rumors about how TF2 is dying. People started undercutting each other, And buds kept lowering as lower sales= lower price. thats my theory anyway

Found another.

If something is followed word for word, how can you argue that it doesn't affect things?

Saying "these were only suggestions" after-the-fact is a complete diffusion of responsibility, don't you think?

We dont say "whatever the price is, is what you sell it for". We sell it for what we feel is right for that item based on the market it's in. People were selling buds for lower prices because the supposed value of the item went down, so they try and sell it quick. The only way to do that, is lowering the price. Yes, bp.tf affects prices, nut it doesnt set the law. It says "this is what the item is worth", but you sell it for whatever you like. People like selling for bp.tf prices, as they are reliable, people like selling for whatever they want. 

I dont get internet fights... Its just one person stating their opinion, and then everybody else calls them out because they have a different one.

But... ermigurd, we purposely edit prices to effect the staff's backpacks! No we dont, our price system is based on USERS suggesting prices based on what the item has sold for recently. The players VOTE on it, and a Moderator/Admin accepts it if they feel the price is just for the item.

We dont say "whatever the price is, is what you sell it for".

No of course not, I'm not saying that. 

I actually really appreciate how much proof is actually needed for a suggestion on this site, it makes the pricing on most things unquestionably accurate, to a degree.

But you have to remember, most people eventually got to that point of accepting bp.tf as a to-the-dot pricing system.

That much you cannot deny, and that is all I'm addressing.

I dont get internet fights... Its just one person stating their opinion, and then everybody else calls them out because they have a different one.

That ain't a fight, homie. That sounds like a discussion.

I don't see this as a fight, it's a conversation with two sides.

Both sides are fighting for their own side, yeah, but an internet fight? I though the economy boards were to discuss the economy.

But... ermigurd, we purposely edit prices to effect the staff's backpacks! No we dont, our price system is based on USERS suggesting prices based on what the item has sold for recently. The players VOTE on it, and a Moderator/Admin accepts it if they feel the price is just for the item.

I'm definitely not claiming this lol, I'm just saying bp.tf holds influence.

I think we'd see blatant corruption if that were the case.

Some guy was selling his smoking pencil pusher for 11 keys. I sent him a trade over night. Declined. Decided to price his unusual at 18 keys.

Another guy I saw was selling a roboactive fire wall for 40 keys a few days ago. Now he is selling it for 8 buds (64 keys).

Don't get me wrong, I am taking advantage of this misleading price change to a small extent, but it is kinda BS. I know in the long run it will fix it's self now, but for now, BS prices everywhere.

Found another.

Bp.tf says 8 keys, classifieds has plenty at 5 keys heck even scm has quite a few at 5 keys...

There is a difference between blindly blaming bp.tf and ignoring the facts, fact is if you sell you spam your buds for 4 keys everyone will start selling for 4 keys. Yesterday we were okay at 5.5-6 but a few hoarders and bots spammed them down to 5keys. You keep blaming bp.tf...

Only thing bp.tf can do is starting speculation (when prices sharply rise or drop) making a few ppl hoard/jumpship but then the rest is because of the users, this is why there are cooldowns to try prevent this from happening. For bp.tf to change prices there needs to be pre-existing proof.

Fun while it lasted, sad it had to go. If only everything could be repeated again so I can fake my pretense of Earbud's downfall.

EDIT: If it indefinitely raises, you're all gonna get valuable items. ;)

I think this video will give some clarity about the bud situation.

But it talk about the real world money, But we can just replace it as bud and other terms into a different term.

Edit:

Consider this in the video he called the money we have "Fiat money" Money which we consider have a value, the value that is printed on it.

Now let's consider bud as a fiat money if everyone don't consider bud having a value it's useless. but if we consider bud let's say the previous price as 10 keys which means if everyone consider bud as, 10 keys it's 10 keys unless someone like a random trader consider it as 9 key and spread it to everyone that it cost 9 keys which affect everyone and make the price of bud go down.

Which is what is happening today. Almost every trader is making the price go down by reconsidering it as a lower value.

Is it still possible to recover but it will be hard. Since making other to consider bud as a higher value will be hard to do.

Archived