Suggestion: Remove the facility to list multiple copies of the same item in classifieds

face

Case in point:

d19518b2a1.png

This guy wants to sell his buds for 7 keys. And he spams the classifieds with all he's got. The next seller for it is at 7.3, and the rest are for 7.5 keys. But to a casual observer, looking at the page for keys gives the impression that a lot are being sold for 7 keys, and hence he panic sells. This is not the first time this has happened. A lot of people have pointed this out before as well in the forums -  2 to 3 pages full of 1 or 2 sellers spamming all their keys and buds and whatnot leading to the impression that a far larger group of people are selling for low, but nothing has come to pass. 

Remove this ability to list multiple copies of the same item, and you take away the spam, and you control the panic sales. I know its not much in the large scope of things, but every little thing helps.

EDIT: http://backpack.tf/vote/id/5517f076ba8d88c5338b47f3

Exactly what i'm talking about. Gullible users are easily swayed into thinking this.

• Administrators

-snip-

+1

+1

This has been suggested quite a few times already. I did some digging and found similar suggestion like yours :

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/26629-classified-ads-limit-to-1-per-item/

The reason why its allowed is nicely mentioned by Husky and Kiki here :

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/29095-multiple-items-in-one-classified-listing/?p=321696 --> Husky

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/26629-classified-ads-limit-to-1-per-item/?p=296265 --> Kiki

I brought up an issue exactly like this a week or two ago : http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/32304-pure-example-of-undercutting/ 

However, I can somewhat agree with @LookAtMyChicken's  suggestion :

+/- symbol could be added somehere to the classified listing which would drop down all available items of the same type from the seller.

Ex.

I'm selling 10 keys using bp automatic. Instead of 10 individual listings, it shows 1 listing, with a '+'sign that someone can click and drop down view the other 9 I have for sale, and a '-' sign for when you want to pack the dropdown back up.

This will save space and clutter.

We dont need to turn this into a conspiracy theory on buds or keys, put that in another thread.

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/26629-classified-ads-limit-to-1-per-item/?p=296262

I don't fully agree with it as it will hide Earbuds or other currencies for special reasons like :

--- Short history

--- Level

--- 1st owner

etc...

Classified does not work the same way it does on other trading websites. Its very different at the moment.

The problem with removing them is sometimes you have those little fraction of players who actually gives a damn about level, how short/long the history, etc about an item.

I can expand Chicken's suggestion by saying, it could be done exactly the way he said but you get to list the same item in different price, otherwise, you can create bunch of listings with the +/- thing of the same item if your intention is to sell all of those same item at the same exact price. 

The problem with removing them is sometimes you have those little fraction of players who actually gives a damn about level, how short/long the history, etc about an item.

I knew i had seen this topic somewhere, but couldnt quite recollect it. But chicken's idea is pretty solid. To shove that aside in favour of a honestly negligible amount of users  who prefer levels and such is almost ridiculous. That can be solved by just trade notes. If someone has a unique bud, but is listing it with others, whats the issue with just specifying it in the trade notes? One thing i really like about the classifieds listing is that the note is readily available instead of having to click the drop down menu like in outpost. They could just use it for such rare cases. Its not a big deal; undercutting however is. However much the people involved try to deny it, backpack.tf is not just a price checking website, but has a huge impact on the way people think, and this spamming does more harm than good.

Case in point:

d19518b2a1.png

This guy wants to sell his buds for 7 keys. And he spams the classifieds with all he's got. The next seller for it is at 7.3, and the rest are for 7.5 keys. But to a casual observer, looking at the page for keys gives the impression that a lot are being sold for 7 keys, and hence he panic sells. This is not the first time this has happened. A lot of people have pointed this out before as well in the forums -  2 to 3 pages full of 1 or 2 sellers spamming all their keys and buds and whatnot leading to the impression that a far larger group of people are selling for low, but nothing has come to pass. 

Remove this ability to list multiple copies of the same item, and you take away the spam, and you control the panic sales. I know its not much in the large scope of things, but every little thing helps.

EDIT: http://backpack.tf/vote/id/5517f076ba8d88c5338b47f3

Exactly what i'm talking about. Gullible users are easily swayed into thinking this.

Why do you have Internet Explorer on your taskbar you crazy man.

• Administrators

I knew i had seen this topic somewhere, but couldnt quite recollect it. But chicken's idea is pretty solid. To shove that aside in favour of a honestly negligible amount of users  who prefer levels and such is almost ridiculous. That can be solved by just trade notes. If someone has a unique bud, but is listing it with others, whats the issue with just specifying it in the trade notes? One thing i really like about the classifieds listing is that the note is readily available instead of having to click the drop down menu like in outpost. They could just use it for such rare cases. Its not a big deal; undercutting however is. However much the people involved try to deny it, backpack.tf is not just a price checking website, but has a huge impact on the way people think, and this spamming does more harm than good.

You might say who cares, but others might not. Also, I am pretty sure you are aware of most people tend to be super lazy when it comes to reading.

Like I said here...

I can expand Chicken's suggestion by saying, it could be done exactly the way he said but you get to list the same item in different price, otherwise, you can create bunch of listings with the +/- thing of the same item if your intention is to sell all of those same item at the same exact price. 

but isn't systematic abuse of the classified system a great perk to sell premium!

its all about the money folks.

Why do you have Internet Explorer on your taskbar you crazy man.

Holy shit why do you even look for these things, haha. 

Had to download chrome with something didnt i?

But you should unpin it from your taskbar, it's just annoying to have something that you don't use still on the taskbar ( at least for me ). 

But bp.tf automatic won't work for all the items that is not listed

Congrats on 500!

Anyway, this guy got it. bp.tf could never implement automatic to work like that

• 2 weeks later...

One thing i really like about the classifieds listing is that the note is readily available instead of having to click the drop down menu like in outpost.

1. Go to your Outpost Settings

2. Click the check box under 'General' section for 'Automatically show notes for all trades.'

3. Press 'Save'

The more you know.

Archived