Ideas On The New SourceRep Site TradeSafe.tf (Serious)

TheVenomWithin

So are you in this to HELP the community or to regain trust.

I'll just say that i'm not going to be the head of this. I'm just here to get it started. Obviously my reputation is too tarnished to even consider taking the lead of such a huge responsibility within this community.This, of course will lead to me regaining the trust i've broken over my actions with the Woodsman. So to your point, you are correct. I'm here to help the community, which is the top and main concern, which then leads me to (Hopefully) regaining your trust.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't actually understand why we need a second SR.  We don't need SR anymore, period.  Let the individual sites handle their bans.  BP and OP seem to be doing just fine banning (mostly appropriately, at least in the case of BP.tf) scammers and scammer alts without waiting for 6 months for SR to finally tag them.  I mean, what does a tag mean nowadays anyway?  The tag ALWAYS comes after the ban nowadays.  Both sites are good about listing the ban reason, so you know for example, just because somebody set their back to private, you can still safely trade with them whereas if someone got banned for being a scammer, it's probably a good idea to hold off.  Just let the sites handle their business, they're doing it already anyway.  

I don't actually understand why we need a second SR.  We don't need SR anymore, period.  Let the individual sites handle their bans.  BP and OP seem to be doing just fine banning (mostly appropriately, at least in the case of BP.tf) scammers and scammer alts without waiting for 6 months for SR to finally tag them.  I mean, what does a tag mean nowadays anyway?  The tag ALWAYS comes after the ban nowadays.  Both sites are good about listing the ban reason, so you know for example, just because somebody set their back to private, you can still safely trade with them whereas if someone got banned for being a scammer, it's probably a good idea to hold off.  Just let the sites handle their business, they're doing it already anyway.  

This is a mentality I never actually considered, but now, having thought about it, you're right. SR is basically useless, and it will be hard to replace, just let each site ban its people, and have ambassadors in each site who just communicate bans on one site to all other affiliated sites.

This is a mentality I never actually considered, but now, having thought about it, you're right. SR is basically useless, and it will be hard to replace, just let each site ban its people, and have ambassadors in each site who just communicate bans on one site to all other affiliated sites.

and then just search for bans on rep.tf

I don't actually understand why we need a second SR. We don't need SR anymore, period. Let the individual sites handle their bans. BP and OP seem to be doing just fine banning (mostly appropriately, at least in the case of BP.tf) scammers and scammer alts without waiting for 6 months for SR to finally tag them. I mean, what does a tag mean nowadays anyway? The tag ALWAYS comes after the ban nowadays. Both sites are good about listing the ban reason, so you know for example, just because somebody set their back to private, you can still safely trade with them whereas if someone got banned for being a scammer, it's probably a good idea to hold off. Just let the sites handle their business, they're doing it already anyway.

I can see your point, it's a good idea as long as sites collaborate with eachother, otherwise you could be banned for trading a TF2OP scammer through bp.tf.

Luckily, rep.tf would solve this problem if more people used it.

Instead of trying to make a new site, why dont the people that actually do want to help, go apply to SR directly or one of the affiliated communities that can also help?  Nothing against a new SR type site but, just seems that if people are really willing to help, go to where its needed the most.

Instead of trying to make a new site, why dont the people that actually do want to help, go apply to SR directly or one of the affiliated communities that can also help?  Nothing against a new SR type site but, just seems that if people are really willing to help, go to where its needed the most.

In other sites is a sort of elitism that is unmatched even in governments around the world. Literally it is probably easier to get elected to congress than to be an admin on steamrep. People want to make new sites because the old sites won't take anyone but people like your husband and mattie,

In other sites is a sort of elitism that is unmatched even in governments around the world. Literally it is probably easier to get elected to congress than to be an admin on steamrep. People want to make new sites because the old sites won't take anyone but people like your husband and mattie,

SteamRep declined my husband,,,,just so ya know. :(

Make it an actual website.

Don't try to replace SteamRep straight away.

Don't close it after a month of doing nothing.

Get someone important with 100% clean rep to be in charge.

Make it an actual website.

No forums.

No forums.

No.

Forums.

Worst mistake they could have made, Ever.

I honestly think with Toughsox steamrep might actually be a functioning website.

I honestly think with Toughsox steamrep might actually be a functioning website.

He'll have a greater chance by applying to something like FoG, applying to be a mod on SR simply isn't worth it.

New OP staff seem to be doing a better job than the old ones from what I've seen.

He'll have a greater chance by applying to something like FoG, applying to be a mod on SR simply isn't worth it.

I can honestly say, he is at Outpost to stay. He loves it there. :wub:

I can see your point, it's a good idea as long as sites collaborate with eachother, otherwise you could be banned for trading a TF2OP scammer through bp.tf.

Luckily, rep.tf would solve this problem if more people used it.

We already have the tools in place.  BP's rep system especially is robust and flexible enough to provide a new model for handling reputation in the community.  As for working together, it seems like they already do that quite nicely (let's just forget about the bp auto drama for a sec, which was more backpack community vs OP admins, rather than OP admins vs BP admins). Then we have a site like rep.tf that compiles all the bans - perfect.   In my opinion, we don't need anything else.  Like I said, we already have all the tools in place, we just need to work a bit on connecting them a little tighter and viola, you have yourself a new way of handling rep in the community, free of SR backlog.  

I can honestly say, he is at Outpost to stay. He loves it there. :wub:

That would be if he did decide to move to SR, but yes, Outpost would lose more than SR would gain. (if he would just apply to be a moderator)

Venom contacted me and we had a long discussion.

A summary of the conversation - We'd need full support with trading sites (tf2op, bp.tf, scrap.tf etc), partnership, get assistance from old/current SR staff members. If there would be a "new Steamrep" it'd need a very very large amount of work. We would also need a very large amount staff members, and not just any users. We'd need the most experienced and trustworthy traders in the community.

I feel with brainstorming about "what the name should be" - It's not making things look serious at all. A site to replace Steamrep needs a huge dedication, just to start things up.... Then continue through the rest of the TF2 trading life.

Which I didn't see in Sourcerep.. Minors, was more of a "rage-creation" and they didn't think of much to make it successful. It'd take many months to build a strong staff and site to cover all the previous scammers and use a good system users can understand. Not to mention create partnership with most of the communties.

It's not about "let's create a forum and go". This is months of prepartion and lots of discussions with other communities to make this accessible for any user. I'm not sure if there's anyone who can do that, nor if there's a large group of people ready to create a "new Steamrep".

If people think we need a good handful of people and a free hosted forum, then you're obv not experienced or understand how much time is needed for this.

I'd say, a good 50+ staff members (from start) and at least 5+ full partnership and support from the largest TF2 trading communties and this can be considered as a project to work on. I doubt it'll survive longer than Sourcerep if there's a 15y.o admin with no knowledge nor time to get this going. Even I don't really understand how much time or thought through all the things that would need to be done. It's a massive project and to make it successful, a massive amount of support and people are needed. Not just a one-person-project with previously tagged/banned traders who just wanna try mark the difference between good or bad trader.

As many of you may or may not know, I was staff on SourceRep, which just recently went down after MCBros sudden departure. Inspired by my experience there, I’ve decided to embark on a new SteamRep journey, which hopefully will not suffer the same fate as SourceRep. 

In order to handle cases in a more fair, unbiased manner, I want to create a system that incorporates multiple people in the report process. A judge and jury, so to say. The jury would be made up of numerous moderators, who would, on a controversial case, debate to find a common verdict and determine the guilt of the accused. The judge would of course be an admin, and the jury’s decision on the case would be reviewed by said judge, and they would implement the decision or counter it with their own opinion. The moderators/jury would be upstanding citizens in the community who have involved themselves in the site, and the admins well chosen people who have a strong sense for justice and common sense. Of course, cases like scammer alts and impersonation would be cut and dry, no jury needed. It would be cases like cranwell’s, or nieroda’s, which would get the jury system. And there would be defense attorneys for very controversial cases, so no one is wrongly convicted because the jury became biased and did not review the proof like they should have. A defense attorney would just try to find holes in the argument of the accusers, and stick up for the defendant even if the defendant were 0gravity0. 

And before you attack me for trying to make steamrep 2.0, at least be civil and discuss this like gentlemen first. We can’t deny that SteamRep is inefficient, and it would be great to have a new community to do its job.

Discuss below if you have any thoughts or ideas you'd like to spitball, anything helps as we are still at stage one. I feel like the reason SourceRep failed, is because we didn't have a solid plan to begin with. We merely rolled with it and that's why I feel like it wasn't successful. Hopefully this time, We can layout a strong foundation and actually have this happen successfully.

Credit to BlaqkAudio for assisting me with the overall structure of this idea.

Best regards,

-Venom

U basically want to set up a court in TF2 community

I wouldn't count Drunken F00l as a "direct connection to Valve". He's been in deep shit several times - e.g the golden wrench fiasco.

FYI, the golden wrench incident was before he became a Valve employee.

He's a Valve employee now, hence he can be considered a "direct connection to Valve" regardless of what other ppl say.

Archived