Did they change the drop system?

The Recluse

I fired up my alt yesterday to get some SWEET CRATE 92 ACTION and let it run for 6 hours, got nothing. This was on my laptop.

It's almost 5 hours in to Thursday, had the game open on my PC, played for about 2 hours now and I haven't received a single item.

Something is definitely different.

I've received no items after two hours of playing on one account, and 6 on another that hasn't been used in weeks. Thursday was when the drops reset.

l8, they lowered cr8 drop r8s, so pallet of cr8s is your way.

Broken keyboards are so cool. Need more numbers tbh.

You need to be actively moving or shooting to obtain drops, a recent(ish) limitation by valve in an attempt to rid idlers from tf2. Just type +left and +attack +forward into your console and you'll be shooting in circles all day. Your maximum non-crate item drop is 10 items per week up to 10 hours of playtime (pretty sure, havent checked for a while).

You need to be actively moving or shooting to obtain drops, a recent(ish) limitation by valve in an attempt to rid idlers from tf2. Just type +left and +attack +forward into your console and you'll be shooting in circles all day. Your maximum non-crate item drop is 10 items per week up to 10 hours of playtime (pretty sure, havent checked for a while).

Yes, they added this about 9 months ago I think.

There is a limit of items you can drop on both CSGO and TF2.

TF2 resets limit in Thursday

CSGO resets limit in Wednesday

Last item drop change was like 10 months ago.

is this documented anywhere? I didn't see it on the wiki

I've encountered this particular urban legend several times over the last 3 years at least, so I seriously doubt it.

I remember reading this on a forum when the drop system was modified, i havent any recent sources to back up my claim but this is true to my knowledge... Like i said, im not quite up to date on the item cap it may have changed since i last read the wiki over a year ago. Also i have received item drops whilst +attack +forward +left are executed. Some may disagree...

For anyone curious of the current system: https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Item_drop_system#Current_system

I remember reading this on a forum when the drop system was modified, i havent any recent sources to back up my claim but this is true to my knowledge... Like i said, im not quite up to date on the item cap it may have changed since i last read the wiki over a year ago. Also i have received item drops whilst +attack +forward +left are executed. Some may disagree...

For anyone curious of the current system: https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Item_drop_system#Current_system

The funny thing about this myth is that it is easy to falsify, so there's no real reason it should persist, yet it's been around for a few years now at least.  To falsify this one, just wait until the drop cap resets, get on an eligible server, sit still, and if you get a drop, myth busted.

I just got a weapon drop about 5 minutes ago by sitting still as a cloaked spy in spawn on a trade server.  I even had the game alt + tabbed so i could watch some stuff on youtube.

I welcome anyone else to try this fo themselves if they have any doubts.  Just make sure that your account actually still has some drops remaining for the week.

l8, they lowered cr8 drop r8s, so pallet of cr8s is your way.

They still drop every week for me, despite what Valve claim.

Archived